Pharmaceutical Pricing in Emerging Markets: Effects of Income, Competition, and Procurement
Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors Health Economics Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 238–252, February 2015
How to Cite
2015), Pharmaceutical Pricing in Emerging Markets: Effects of Income, Competition, and Procurement, Health Econ., 24, pages 238–252, doi: 10.1002/hec.3013, and (
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2015
- Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 OCT 2011
- 1997. Price discrimination for pharmaceuticals: welfare effects in the US and EU. International Journal Economics Business 4(3): 301–321. .
- 2000a. Cross-national price differences for pharmaceuticals: how large and why? Journal of Health Economics 19: 159–195. , .
- 2000b. Does regulation drive out competition in markets for pharmaceuticals? Journal of Law and Economics 43: 311–358. , .
- 2009. Effects of Regulation on Drug Launch and Pricing in Interdependent Markets. NBER Working Paper 14041. , .
- 2008. International prices and availability of pharmaceuticals in 2005. Health Affairs 27(1): 221–233. , .
- 2011. Cross-national Evidence on Generic Pharmaceuticals: Pharmacy vs. Physician-driven Markets. NBERWorking Paper 17226. , .
- 2003. Differential pricing for pharmaceuticals: reconciling access, R&D and patents. International Journal Health Care Finance and Econ 3: 183–205. , .
- 2012. Value-based differential pricing: Efficient prices for drugs in a global context. NBER Working Paper 18593. et al.
- 2012. The impact of price regulation on the launch delay of new drugs: a study of twenty-five major markets in 1990s. Health Economics 14(3): 269–292. , , .
- 2009. An economic justification for open access to essential medicine patents in developing countries. Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics Summer: 2009: 184–208. et al.
- 1997. Generic entry and pricing of pharmaceuticals. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 6(1): 75–90. , .
- 2007. The value of life and the rise in health spending. QJE 122(1): 39–72. , .
- 2005. Financing pharmaceutical innovation: how much should poor countries contribute? The World Bank Economic Review 19(1): 45–67. , .
- 2009. Making markets for merit goods: the political economy of antiretrovirals. Center for Global Development Working Paper 179. , .
- 1981. Estimation with correctly interpreted dummy variables in semilogarithmic equations. AER .
- 1994. Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination. Journal of International Economics 37: 167–195. , .
- 2001. Parallel Imports in Pharmaceuticals: Implications for Competition and Prices in Developing Countries. Final Report to World Intellectual Property Organization. .
- 2001. Post-Trips Options for Access to Patented Medicines in Developing Countries. CMH Working Paper Series, Paper No. WG4: 1. Available at: http://www.whoindia.org/LinkFiles/Commision_on_Macroeconomic_and_Health_04_01.pdf. , .
- 2005. Parallel trade, price discrimination, investment and price caps. Economic Policy 20(44): 705–749.Direct Link:, .
- 2006. Parallel trade, international exhaustion and intellectual property rights: a welfare analysis. The Journal of Industrial Economics 54(4): 499–526. , .
- 2009. Global strategies to reduce the price of anti-retroviral medicines: evidence from transactional databases. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 87(7). et al.