This manuscript contains original unpublished work and is not being submitted for publication elsewhere at the same time.
Scoring the Icecap-a Capability Instrument. Estimation of a UK General Population Tariff†
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Health Economics published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 258–269, March 2015
How to Cite
2015), Scoring the Icecap-a Capability Instrument. Estimation of a UK General Population Tariff, Health Econ., 24; pages 258–269, doi: 10.1002/hec.3014, , , , , and (
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 30 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2012
- UK Medical Research Council. Grant Number: G0701027
- 2012. Development of a self-report measure of capability wellbeing for adults: the ICECAP-A. Quality of Life Research 21: 167–176. , , .
- 2006. Capabilities and achievements: an empirical study. Journal of Socio-Economics 35: 268–284. , .
- 2009. The development of capability indicators. Journal of Human Development and Capabilities 10(1): 125–152. , , , , , .
- 2012. Using a discrete choice experiment to estimate health state utility values. Journal of Health Economics 31: 306–318. , , , .
- 2004. Is economic evaluation in touch with society's health values? British Medical Journal 329: 1233–1236. .
- 2008a. Welfarism, extra-welfarism and capability: the spread of ideas in health economics. Social Science and Medicine 67: 1190–1198. , , .
- 2008b. Valuing the ICECAP capability index for older people. Social Science and Medicine 67: 874–882. , , , , , , .
- 2005. QALYs and the capability approach. Health Economics 14: 817–829. .
- 2012. Measuring and valuing quality of life for public health research: application of the ICECAP-O capability index in the Australian general population. International Journal of Public Health 58: 367–376. , , , , .
- 2012. Exploration of the association between quality of life, assessed by EQ-5D and ICECAP-O, and falls risk, cognitive function and daily function, in older adults with mobility impairments. BMC Geriatrics 12(1): 65. , , , , , .
- 2010. The generalized multinomial logit model: accounting for scale and coefficient heterogeneity. Marketing Science 9: 393–421. , , , .
- 2010a. Valuing citizen and patient preferences in health: recent developments in three types of best-worst scaling. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research 10(3): 259–267. .
- 2010b. Using conjoint analysis and choice experiments to estimate quality adjusted life year values: issues to consider. PharmacoEconomics 28: 711–722. .
- 2007. Best-worst scaling. What it can do for health care research and how to do it. Journal of Health Economics 26: 171–189. , , , .
- 2008. Rescaling quality of life tariffs from discrete choice experiments for use as QALYs: a cautionary tale. Population Health Metrics 6(6). , , , , .
- 2010. Using discrete choice experiments to understand preferences for quality of life. Variance-scale heterogeneity matters. Social Science and Medicine 70: 1957–1965. , , , .
- 2011. Assessing quality of life among British older people using the ICECAP-O capability measure. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 9: 317–329. , , , .
- 2013. Quantifying response shift or adaptation effects in quality of life by synthesising best-worst scaling and discrete choice data. Journal of Choice Modelling 6: 34–43. , , .
- 2003. A latent class model for discrete choice analysis: contrasts with mixed logit. Transportation Research Part B 37(8): 681–698. , .
- 2006. Developing attributes for a generic quality of life measure for older people: preferences or capabilities? Social Science and Medicine 62: 1891–1901. , , , , , .
- 2010. Outcome measurement in economic evaluation of public health interventions: a role for the capability approach? International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 7: 2274–2289. , , , .
- 2000. Stated choice methods - analysis and application. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , , .
- 2002. Dissecting the random component of utility. Marketing Letters 13(3): 177–193. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Capabilities and quality of life in Dutch psycho-geriatric nursing homes: an exploratory study using a proxy version of the ICECAP-O. Quality of Life Research 21: 801–812. , , , .
- 2005. Some probabilistic models of best, worst and best-worst choices. Journal of Mathematical Psychology 49: 464–480. , .
- 2006). Using rank data to estimate health state utility models. Journal of Health Economics 26: 171–189. , , , , , , et al. (
- 1974. Conditional logit analysis of qualitative choice behaviour. In Frontiers in econometrics, Zarembka P (ed.), Academic Press: New York; 105-142.
- 2002. Choosing the method to match the perspective: economic assessment and its implications for health-services efficiency. Lancet 359: 1771–1774. , , .
- ALSPAC Study Team. 2005. Prenatal risk factors for Caesarian section. Analysis of the ALSPAC cohort of 12944 women in England. International Journal of Epidemiology 34: 353–367. , , ,
- 2003. Variables associated with attendance at, and the perceived helpfulness of, meetings for people with multiple sclerosis. Health and Social Care in the Community 11: 19–26. , , , .
- 2011. Best-worst scaling vs discrete choice experiments: an empirical comparison using social care data. Social Science and Medicine 72: 1717–1727. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Valuing child health utility 9D health states with a young adolescent sample: a feasibility study to compare best-worst discrete choice experiment, standard gamble and time trade off methods. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 9: 15–27. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Using discrete choice experiments to estimate a preference-based measure of outcome - An application to social care for older people. Journal of Health Economics 25: 927–944. , , , .
- 1992. Inequality reexamined. Russell Sage Foundation: New York. .
- 1993. Capability and well-being. In The quality of life, Nussbaum MC (ed.), Clarendon Press: Oxford. .
- 2013. Development of a supportive care measure for economic evaluation of end-of-life care, using qualitative methods. Palliative Medicine. DOI: 10.1177/0269216313489368 , .
- 2001. Choice environment, market complexity, and consumer behaviour: a theoretical and empirical approach for incorporating decision complexity into models of consumer choice. Organizational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes 86(2): 141–167. , .
- 1927. A law of comparative judgement. Psychological Review 34: 273–286. .
- 1985. Specification error in probit models. Review of Economics and Statistics 67: 134–139. , .