MEASURING THE DISPLACEMENT AND REPLACEMENT OF GOVERNMENT HEALTH EXPENDITURE
Article first published online: 11 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Health Economics published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 23, Issue 2, pages 129–140, February 2014
How to Cite
Dieleman, J. L. and Hanlon, M. (2014), MEASURING THE DISPLACEMENT AND REPLACEMENT OF GOVERNMENT HEALTH EXPENDITURE. Health Econ., 23: 129–140. doi: 10.1002/hec.3016
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2013
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- 1991. Some tests of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and an application to employment equations. The Review of Economic Studies 58: 277. , .
- 1995. Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models* 1. Journal of Econometrics 68: 29–51. , .
- 2010. Instrumental variable estimation in a data rich environment. Econometric Theory 26: 1577–1606. , .
- 1998. Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models. Journal of Econometrics 87: 115–143. , .
- 2008. Development assistance for health: should policy-makers worry about its macroeconomic impact? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86: 864–870. , , , .
- 2013. The fungibility of health aid: reconsidering the reconsidered. Journal of Development Studies. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2013.844921 , , .
- 2007. Aid effectiveness and health. , , , , .
- 2003. Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models. The Stata 3: 168–77. .
- 2009. Does funding from donors displace government spending for health in developing countries? Health Affairs 28: 1045. , , , , .
- 2012. General budget support: has it benefited the health sector? Health Economics 22: 1440–1451. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A panel data analysis of the fungibility of foreign aid. The World Bank Economic Review 12: 29. , , .
- 2010. Increased educational attainment and its effect on child mortality in 175 countries between 1970 and 2009: a systematic analysis. The Lancet 376: 959–974. , , , .
- 2012. Ethiopia's AIDS spending cliff » global health policy [WWW document]. Center for Global Development. URL http://blogs.cgdev.org/globalhealth/2012/09/ethiopias-aids-spending-cliff.php (accessed 9.11.12). .
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. 2009. Financing Global Health 2009: Tracking Development Assistance for Health. IHME: Seattle, WA.
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. 2011. Financing Global Health 2011: Continued Growth as MDG Deadline Approaches. IHME: Seattle, WA.
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. 2013. Financing Global Health 2012: The End of the Golden Age? IHME: Seattle, WA.
- 2012. Developing a comprehensive time series of GDP per capita for 210 countries from 1950 to 2015. Population Health Metrics 10: 12. , , , .
- 2011. The global financial crisis has led to a slowdown in growth of funding to improve health in many developing countries. Health Affairs 31(1): 228–235. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Public financing of health in developing countries: a cross-national systematic analysis. The Lancet 375: 1375–1387. , , , , , .
- 2001. Aid illusion and public sector behaviour. Journal of Development Studies 37: 118–136. , .
- 2009. A solution to the problem of too many instruments in dynamic panel data GMM. Discussion Paper Deutsche Bundesbank, Series 1: Economic Studies. .
- 1981. Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects. Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society 49(6): 1417–1426. .
- 1999. An essay on fiscal federalism. Journal of Economic Literature 37: 1120–1149. .
- Crowding out: are relations between international health aid and government health funding too complex to be captured in averages only? The Lancet 375: 1403–1405. , , , , , , . 17.
- 1990. Is foreign aid fungible? The case of Indonesia. The Economic Journal 100: 188–194. , .
- 1993. Foreign aid and the question of fungibility. The Review of Economics and Statistics 75: 258–265. , .
- Paris Declaration. 2005. Paris Declaration.
- 2007. A note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments. Center for Global Development: Washington, DC. .
- 2009. How to do xtabond2: an introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata. The Stata Journal 9: 86–136. .
- 2012. Doubts about the evidence that foreign aid for health is displaced into non-health uses. The Lancet 380: 972–973. .
- 2010. Are there simple conclusions on how to channel health funding? The Lancet 375: 1326–1328. . .
- 1999. What does aid to Africa finance? , , .
- 2000. Fiscal effects of foreign aid in a federal system of governance: the case of India. Journal of Public Economics 77: 307–330. , , .
- United Nations Population Division. 2011. World population prospects, the 2010 revision.
- 2013. Is foreign aid fungible? Evidence from the education and health sectors. World Bank Economic Review. .
- The fungibility of health aid reconsidered. Journal of Development Studies. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2013.819424 . forthcoming.
- 2007. Fungibility and the flypaper effect of project aid: micro-evidence for Vietnam. Journal of Development Economics 84: 667–685. , .
- 2011. Fungibility and the impact of development assistance: evidence from Vietnam's health sector. Journal of Development Economics 94: 62–73. .
- 2005. The shifting politics of foreign aid. International Affairs 81: 393–409. .
- 2001. Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data, (1st edn), The MIT Press: Cambridge, Massachusetts London, England. .
- World Health Organization. 2003. Guide to producing national health accounts.
- World Health Organization. 2012. World Health Statistics 2012. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- 2011. The determinants of health expenditure: a country-level panel data analysis. Working Paper. , , .