Value-Based Differential Pricing: Efficient Prices for Drugs in a Global Context
Article first published online: 11 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Health Economics published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 294–301, March 2015
How to Cite
2015), Value-Based Differential Pricing: Efficient Prices for Drugs in a Global Context, Health Econ., 24; pages 294–301, doi: 10.1002/hec.3021, and (
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 11 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUN 2012
- 2008. On international cost-sharing of pharmaceutical R&D. International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics 8: 301–312. , .
- 2008. Value based pricing for NHS drugs: an opportunity not to be missed? BMJ 336: 251–254. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Price discrimination for pharmaceuticals: welfare effects in the US and EU. International Journal of the Economics of Business 4(3): 301–321. .
- 2010. Drug pricing and value in oncology. The Oncologist 15(1): 24–31. , .
- 2003. Differential pricing for pharmaceuticals: reconciling access, R&D and patents. International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics 3: 183–205. , .
- 2011. Pharmaceutical prices in emerging markets: effects of income, competition and procurement. NBER Working Paper 17174. Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 2012. Value-based differential pricing: efficient prices for drugs in a global context. NBER Working Paper No. 18593. Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 2009. An economic justification for open access to essential medicine patents in developing countries. The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 37(2): 184–208. , , .
- 1997. Economic foundations of cost-effectiveness analysis. Journal of Health Economics 16: 1–31. , .
- 2006. Insurance and incentives for medical innovation. Forum for Health Economics and Policy: Vol.9: Iss.2 (Biomedical Research and the Economy, Article 4. , , .
- 2005. Financing pharmaceutical innovation: how much should poor countries contribute? The World Bank Economic Review 19(1): 45–67. , .
- 2008. Cost effectiveness analysis and innovation. Journal of Health Economics 27: 1224–1236. , .
- 2013. Endogenous cost-effectiveness analysis and health care technology adoption. Journal of Health Economics 32: 172–180. , .
- 2009. Innovation and the welfare effects of public drug insurance. Journal of Public Economics 93: 541–548. , .
- 1994. Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination. Journal of International Economics 37: 167–195. , .
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2009. Appraising life-extending, end of life treatments. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Available from: http://www.nice.org.uk/media/E4A/79/SupplementaryAdviceTACEoL.pdf Accessed on 1st July 2013.
- Office of Fair Trading. 2007. The Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Scheme: An OFT Market Study. OFT: London.