We thank two anonymous referees for their thoughtful comments, which have considerably improved the paper. Any remaining errors, of course, are our own.
Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Health Economics Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 24, Issue 8, pages 966–977, August 2015
How to Cite
2015), Price-cap Regulation, Uncertainty and the Price Evolution of New Pharmaceuticals. Health Econ., 24, 966–977. doi: 10.1002/hec.3075., and (
The authors acknowledge the generous support of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research for this work, through an Emerging Team Grant on “Developing Effective Policies for Managing Technologies for Rare Diseases” and the European Research Council under the European Union's Seventh Framework Programme (FP/2007-2013) / ERC Grant Agreement no. 339239.
- Issue online: 2 JUL 2015
- Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 25 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2013
- 1995. Price regulation in the pharmaceutical industry: Prescription or placebo? Journal of Health Economics 14(5): 551–565. .
- 2006. Black box warning and drug safety: examining the determinants and timing of FDA warning labels. NBER Working paper 12803. , et al.
- 2003. Drug price differentials caused by formularies and price caps. International Journal of the Economics of Business 10(1): 35–48. .
- 1969. Pricing pioneering products. The Journal of Industrial Economics 17(3): 165–179. .
- 2003. Pharmaceutical pricing in a regulated market. Review of Economics and Statistics 85(2): 298–306. , .
- 1988. Second-sourcing as a commitment: Monopoly incentives to attract competition. Quarterly Journal of Economics 103(4): 673–694. , .
- Food and Drug Administration. 2007. Center for Drug Evaluation and Research Update. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofMedicalProductsandTobacco/CDER/WhatWeDo/UCM121704.pdf [18 May 2013].
- 1997. Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 6(1): 75–90. , .
- 2000. Pharmaceutical policies in OECD countries: reconciling social and industrial goals. OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers. .
- 2002. Timing of new black box warnings and withdrawals for prescription medications. JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association 287(17): 2215–2220. , , , , , .
- 2006. Do manufacturers of brand-name drugs engage in price competition? an analysis of introductory prices. Canadian Medical Association Journal 174(8): 1120–1121. .
- 2012. Launching Prices for New Pharmaceuticals in Heavily Regulated and Subsidized Markets. Barcelona GSE Working Paper Series No. 638. , .
- 1998. Strategic pricing of new pharmaceuticals. Review of Economics and Statistics 80(1): 108–118. , .
- 2004. Are novel drugs more risky for patients than less novel drugs? Journal of Health Economics 23(6): 1135–1158. .
- 1978. Price and quality competition in the United States drug industry. The Journal of Industrial Economics 26(3): 223–237. .
- 2011. Pricing Strategy under Inflation Constraints. http://economics.missouri.edu/Seminars/files/2010/100924.pdf [accessed February 25, 2013]. .
- 1979. Pricing in the pharmaceutical industry. Issues in Pharmaceutical Economics. Lexington Books: Lexington, MA; 71–94. .