Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-1, -7, -9, -13, Ki-67, and HER-2 in epithelial-myoepithelial salivary gland cancer
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Head & Neck
Volume 32, Issue 8, pages 1019–1027, August 2010
How to Cite
Luukkaa, H., Klemi, P., Leivo, I., Mäkitie, A. A., Irish, J., Gilbert, R., Perez-Ordonez, B., Hirsimäki, P., Vahlberg, T., Kivisaari, A., Kähäri, V.-M. and Grénman, R. (2010), Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-1, -7, -9, -13, Ki-67, and HER-2 in epithelial-myoepithelial salivary gland cancer. Head Neck, 32: 1019–1027. doi: 10.1002/hed.21277
- Issue online: 13 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2009
- Cancer Foundation of South-Western Finland
- Research Foundation of Orion Corporation
- Turku Municipal Health Department
- Turku University Central Hospital. Grant Number: EVO 13011
- The Academy of Finland
- Finnish Cancer Research Foundation
- Sigrid Juselius Foundation
- Turku University Central Hospital. Grant Number: 13336
- matrix metalloproteinase;
- salivary gland cancer;
- epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma
The expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in epithelial-myoepithelial salivary gland carcinoma has not been studied previously.
Immunohistochemistry for MMP-1, -7, -9, -13, Ki-67, and HER-2, as well as HER-2 gene amplification by silver enhanced in situ hybridization was performed in a series of 12 paraffin-embedded histopathologic samples of patients from Canada and Finland.
A positive MMP-13 (p = .0022), higher MMP-13 (p = .0274), and higher MMP-9 (p = .0274) index (multiplication of staining intensity by percentage of the positive cells) predicted better overall survival. In disease-specific analysis, higher MMP-9 index (p = .0327) predicted better survival. A higher volume corrected index (VCI) of Ki-67 (p = .0339) predicted worse disease-specific survival. In 1 patient, HER-2 oncogene amplification was observed.
MMPs and Ki-67 may have prognostic impact in epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Head Neck, 2010