Landmarks in Hepatology
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 39, Issue 3, pages 870–874, March 2004
How to Cite
Reuben, A. (2004), Old scratch. Hepatology, 39: 870–874. doi: 10.1002/hep.20136
- Issue published online: 27 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2004
- 1Physiology of itching. Physiol Rev 1941; 21: 357–381..
- 4Definitions and derivations available at http://www.oed.com.
- 6Itinerary: Containing His Ten Yeeres Travell Through the Twelve Domains of Germany, Bohmerland, Sweitzerland, Netherland, Denmarke, Poland, Italy, Turky, France, England, Scotlande and Ireland. London, England: John Beale, 1617..
- 7The extant works of Aretæus, the Cappadocian. Chapter XV. In: On Jaundice, or Icterus. London, England: Sydenham Society, 1856: 324–328..
- 8The practice of physick. [In seventeen several books. Wherein is plainly set forth, the nature, cause, differences, and several sorts of signs: together with the cure of all diseases in the body.Being chiefly a translation of the works of that learned and renowned doctor Lazarus Riverius, sometimes councellor and physician to the King of France. To which are added four books containing five hundred and thirteen observations of famous cures. By the same author. And a fifth book of select medicinal counsels. By John Fernelius. With a table of the principal matters treated of therein. And also a physical dictionary explaining the hard words used in the books.] Chapter IV. In: Of the Jaundice. London, England: F. Streater and George Sanbridge, 1668: 333–334., , .
- 9A system of the practice of medicine; from the Latin of Dr. Hoffman. Revised and completed by Duncan A. Chapter XII. In: Of the Jaundice or Icteritious Cachexy. London, England: J. Murray and J. Johnson, 1783: 351–368..
- 10Diseases of the biliary passages and portal vein. In: Ponfick, Thierfelder, von Schueppel, Leichtenstern, Heller, Jurgensen. Cyclopædia of the Practice of Medicine. von ZiemssenH, ed. IX. Diseases of the liver and portal vein with the chapter relating to interstitial pneumonia. BuckAH (editor of the American edition). Nichols AM, Osgood H, Schaufler EW, Mendelson W, trans. New York, NY: William Wood and Co., 1880: 604–605..
- 11Diseases of the liver. Chapter VIII. In: The Principles and Practice of Medicine. 5th edition. New York, NY: D. Appleton and Co., 1902: 548–553..
- 12On jaundice. Chapter V. In: On Diseases of the Liver. 1st Edition. Chapter V. London, England: John Churchill, 1845: 372–388..
- 13Jaundice. In: A Clinical Treatise on Diseases of the Liver. Chapter IV.. C. Murchison, trans New York, NY: William Wood and Co, 1879; 54–135..
- 14BruntonTL, ed. Clinical lectures on diseases of the liver, jaundice and abdominal dropsy, including the Croonian lecture on functional derangements of the liver delivered at the Royal College of Physicians in 1874. 3rd edition. New York, NY: William Wood, 1885: 347–374.. In:
- 15Icterus-jaundice. Chapter XXXIII. In: Essays on Pathology and Therapeutics. Vol. 2. Charleston, SC: McCarter and Allen, 1845: 171–189..
- 16Jaundice, or icterus. In: A Treatise on the Principles and Practice of Medicine Designed for Practitioners and Students of Medicine. 5th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Henry C. Lea's Son and Co., 1881..
- 18Biliary cirrhosis: an appraisal. The Croonian lecture. Guys Hosp Rep 1974; 123: 197–219..
- 20Le prurit des ictériques: est-il du a la rétention des sels biliares? Presse Med 1942; 50: 369–370., .
- 21Bile: a historical review of studies on its form and function. In: KirsnerJB, ed. The Growth of Gastroenterologic Knowledge During the Twentieth Century. Philadelphia, PA: Lea and Febiger, 1994: 273–274., .
- 23Cholestatic liver disease and health-related quality of life. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 497–502., , , , .Direct Link:
- 32Intermittent external biliary drainage for relief of pruritus in certain chronic disorders of the liver. J Lab Clin Med 1947; 21: 43–47..
- 34Lowering of serum bile acid concentrations and relief of pruritus in jaundiced patients fed bile acid sequestering resin. J Lab Clin Med 1960; 56: 797.
- 42Use of colesevelam hydrochloride (Welchol) as a novel therapeutic agent for the management of refractory pruritus in chronic liver disease [abstract]. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34: 541A..
- 53Confessions of an English Opium Eater. London, England: Taylor and Hessey, 1822..
- 59Long-term efficacy of sertraline as a treatment for cholestatic pruritus in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 2736–2741., , .Direct Link:
- 60Preliminary observations with dronabinol in patients with intractable pruritus secondary to cholestatic liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97: 2117–2119., , , , , , , et al.Direct Link:
- 61Pilot study of bright-light therapy reflected toward the eyes for the pruritus of chronic liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 1563–1570., , , , , .Direct Link: