Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Bonino advises for Roche.
Liver Failure and Liver Disease
Version of Record online: 28 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 44, Issue 6, pages 1543–1554, December 2006
How to Cite
Mazzaferro, V., Romito, R., Schiavo, M., Mariani, L., Camerini, T., Bhoori, S., Capussotti, L., Calise, F., Pellicci, R., Belli, G., Tagger, A., Colombo, M., Bonino, F., Majno, P. and Llovet, J. M. (2006), Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence with alpha-interferon after liver resection in HCV cirrhosis. Hepatology, 44: 1543–1554. doi: 10.1002/hep.21415
This was an investigator-initiated study. No sponsorship or funding sources for treating patients with interferon-α were solicited. Conversely, thanks to the cooperation of many general practitioners following the home care of the patients referred for surgical removal of hepatocellular carcinoma, the Italian National Health Service supported the cost of treatment in the interferon group as a part of a clinical strategy preventing complications of chronic hepatitis C.
Clinical trial registration number: NCT00273247.
The following members of the HCC Italian Task Force contributed equally to the study: S. Andreola, A. Antonucci, C. Battiston, J. Coppa, S. LoVullo, R. Miceli, A. Pulvirenti, E. Regalia, A. Russo, N. Zucchini (National Cancer Institute, Milan); R. Polastri, M. Tabone (Mauriziano Hospital, Turin); A. Ascione, F. Sicoli (Federico II Hospital and University of Naples); M. Pasqualini, A. Profeti (S. Corona Hospital, Pietra Ligure-Genoa); A. Belli, A. D'Agostino (S. Maria di Loreto Nuovo Hospital, Naples); M. R. Brunetto, D. Flichman (Cisanello Hospital, Pisa); R. Castoldi, V. Di Carlo (S. Raffaele Hospital, Milan); M. Borzio, G. P. Spina (Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Milan); M. Colledan, M. Strazzabosco (Riuniti Hospital, Bergamo); B. Gridelli, U. Palazzo (ISMETT, Palermo).
- Issue online: 28 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2006
- Italian Association for Cancer Research
- 9Interferon beta prevents recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after complete resection or ablation of the primary tumor—a prospective randomized study of hepatitis C virus–related liver cancer. HEPATOLOGY 2000; 32: 228–232., , , , , , et al.
- 26AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 6th ed. Chicago: Springer, 2002: 131–144., , , et al. In:
- 32Interferon therapy reduces the risk for hepatocellular carcinoma: national surveillance program of cirrhotic and noncirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis C in Japan. IHIT Study Group. Inhibition of hepatocarcinogenesis by interferon therapy. Ann Intern Med 1999; 131: 174–181., , , , , , et al.