Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Liver Failure/Cirrhosis/Portal Hypertension
Platelet count is not a predictor of the presence or development of gastroesophageal varices in cirrhosis†
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2007
Copyright © 2007 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 153–159, January 2008
How to Cite
Qamar, A. A., Grace, N. D., Groszmann, R. J., Garcia-Tsao, G., Bosch, J., Burroughs, A. K., Maurer, R., Planas, R., Escorsell, A., Garcia-Pagan, J. C., Patch, D., Matloff, D. S. and Makuch, R. (2008), Platelet count is not a predictor of the presence or development of gastroesophageal varices in cirrhosis. Hepatology, 47: 153–159. doi: 10.1002/hep.21941
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Received: 4 APR 2007
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Grant Number: RO1 46580
- 7www.omgc.org/globalguidelines/guide08.html. Accessed on May 2003.. WGO-OMGE practice guideline: treatment of esophageal varices. Available at:
- 10Predictive models in portal hypertension. In: de FranchisR, ed. Portal Hypertension IV: Proceedings of the Fourth Baveno International Consensus Workshop on Methodology of Diagnosis and Treatment. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing; 2006: 47–102., , , , , , et al.
- 11Prevalence of peripheral blood cytopenias (hypersplenism) in patients with nonalcoholic chronic liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 2936–2939., , .Direct Link:
- 13Thrombocytopenia in liver disease. Can J Gastroenterol 2000; 14(Suppl D): D60–D66..
- 16Factors predicting the presence of esophageal or gastric varices in patients with advanced liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94: 3292–3296., , , , .Direct Link:
- 20The use of screening and preventive therapies for gastroesophageal varices in patients referred for evaluation of orthotopic liver transplantation. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 833–837., , , .Direct Link:
- 21Changing compliance to the American College of Gastroenterology guidelines for the management of variceal hemorrhage: a regional survey. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 645–649., , , , .Direct Link: