Treating hepatitis C in the prison population is cost-saving†
Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2008
Copyright © 2008 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 48, Issue 5, pages 1387–1395, November 2008
How to Cite
Tan, J. A., Joseph, T. A. and Saab, S. (2008), Treating hepatitis C in the prison population is cost-saving. Hepatology, 48: 1387–1395. doi: 10.1002/hep.22509
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Saab is on the speakers' bureau of Roche, Schering-Plough, and Three Rivers Pharmaceuticals.
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2008
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUL 2008 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAR 2008
- 3U.S. Department of Justice. Prison and jail inmates at midyear 2006. Bureau of Justice Statistics Bulletin, June 2007. Available at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/pjim06.htm. Accessed July 2008.
- 5Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of infections with hepatitis viruses in correctional settings. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2003; 52(RR-1): 1–36.
- 18Cost-effectiveness of combination peginterferon α-2a and ribavirin compared with interferon α-2b and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 1490–1496., , , , , , et al.Direct Link:
- 22Peginterferon alfa-2a versus peginterferon alfa-2b as initial treatment of hepatitis C virus infection: a cost-utility analysis from the perspective of the Veterans Affairs Health Care System. Pharmacotherapy 2007; 27: 813–824., , , .
- 24U.S. Department of Justice. Prison and jail inmates at midyear 2005. Bureau of Justice Statistics Bulletin, May 2006. Available at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/pjim05.htm. Accessed July 2008.
- 25The spectrum of chronic hepatitis C virus infection in the Virginia Correctional System: development of a strategy for the evaluation and treatment of inmates with HCV. Am J Gastroenterol 2005; 100: 313–321., , , , , , et al.Direct Link:
- 34Centers for Disease Control. United States life tables, 2003. National Vital Statistics Reports, April 2006. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/lftbls/life/1966.htm. Accessed July 2008.
- 38National HCV Prison Coalition. State-by-state HCV treatment guidelines. Available at: http://www.hcvinprison.org. Accessed July 2008.
- 39Federal Bureau of Prisons. Guidelines for the prevention and treatment of viral hepatitis. Federal Bureau of Prisons—Clinical Practice Guidelines, October 2005. Available at: http://www.bop.gov/news/PDFs/hepatitis.pdf. Accessed July 2008.
- 45Watchful waiting with periodic liver biopsy versus immediate empirical therapy for histologically mild chronic hepatitis C. Ann Intern Med 2000; 133: 655–675., .
- 48Montvale, NJ: Medical Economics; 2007..
- 49U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer price index calculator. Available at: http://www.bls.gov. Accessed July 2008.
- 53Treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus in the Virginia Department of Corrections: can compliance overcome racial differences to response? Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 866–872., , , , , , et al.Direct Link:
- 55Internet Drug News.com. Antidepressants drug database. Available at: http://www.coreynahman.com/antidepressantdrugsdatabase.html. Accessed July 2008.
- 56U.S. Department of Justice. Mental health problems of prison and jail inmates. Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report, September 2006. Available at: http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/mhppji.pdf. Accessed July 2008.
- 58U.S. Department of Justice. Hepatitis testing and treatment in state prisons. Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report, April 2004. Available at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/httsp.pdf. Accessed July 2008.
- 59Gustafson, Alan. Lawsuit spurs top-rank care to fight disease. Statesman Journal [serial online], Nov. 12, 2007. Available at: http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071112/NEWS/711120329/100. Accessed December 17, 2007.
- 60The body. The complete HIV/AIDS resource. Available at: http://www.thebody.com/content/art31262.html#hcv_inmates. Accessed July 2008.