fax: (613) 9076 2431
Viral dynamics of hepatitis B virus DNA in human immunodeficiency virus-1–hepatitis B virus coinfected individuals: Similar effectiveness of lamivudine, tenofovir, or combination therapy†
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 49, Issue 4, pages 1113–1121, April 2009
How to Cite
Lewin, S. R., Ribeiro, R. M., Avihingsanon, A., Bowden, S., Matthews, G., Marks, P., Locarnini, S. A., Ruxrungtham, K., Perelson, A. S. and Dore, G. J. (2009), Viral dynamics of hepatitis B virus DNA in human immunodeficiency virus-1–hepatitis B virus coinfected individuals: Similar effectiveness of lamivudine, tenofovir, or combination therapy. Hepatology, 49: 1113–1121. doi: 10.1002/hep.22754
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Lewin advises and received grants from Gilead. Dr. Locarnini is a consultant for and grants from Evivar Pty Ltd, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Gilead. He received grants from and holds intellectual property rights for Melbourne Health. He is a consultant for Pharmasset. Dr. Ruxrungtham is a consultant for, is on the speakers' bureau of, and received grants from GlaxoSmithKline. He also received grants Gilead. Dr. Dore advises, is on the speakers' bureau of, and received grants from Roche. He also advises and received grants from Gilead Science.
- Issue published online: 27 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2008
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 NOV 2008 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAY 2008
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH). Grant Number: R21 AI055379-01 A1
- Australian NHMRC Practitioner Fellow. Grant Number: #251651
- The National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research
- Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing
- National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC)
- National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), Bangkok, Thailand
- U.S. Department of Energy
- NIH. Grant Numbers: R01-RR06555, R37-AI28433, P20-RR18754
- 5Anti-HBV activity of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) in lamivudine experienced HIV/HBV co-infected [Abstract]. In: Ninth Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infection; February 24–28, 2002; Seattle, WA. Abstract p. 124., , , , , , et al.
- 16Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents. Guidelines for the use of antiretrovirals in HIV-1-infected adults and adolescents; November 3, 2008. Department of Health and Human Services: Washington, DC; http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/ContentFiles/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf. Accessed November 2008.
- 27Quantitative analyses of hepatic HBV ccc DNA during the natural history of chronic hepatitis B and adefovir dipivoxil therapy: an International, Multicenter study [Abstract]. HEPATOLOGY 2002; 36(Suppl): 296A., , , , , , et al.
- 42HBV viral kinetics under antiviral therapy help understand the anti-HBV immune response in HBeAg-negative patients with chronic hepatitis B [Abstract]. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 42(Suppl): 721A., , , , , .
- 46A randomized, double-blind, comparison of tenofovir DF (TDF) versus adefovir dipivoxil (ADV) for the treatment of HBeAg positive chronic hepatitis B (CHB): Study GS-US-174-0103. In: 58th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD 2007); November 2–6, 2007; Boston, MA., , .
- 47A randomized, double-blind, comparison of tenofovir DF (TDF) versus adefovir dipivoxil (ADV) for the treatment of HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B (CHB): study GS-US-174-0102. In: 58th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD 2007); November 2–6, 2007; Boston, MA., , , , , , et al.