A seven-gene signature (cirrhosis risk score) predicts liver fibrosis progression in patients with initially mild chronic hepatitis C†
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 1038–1044, October 2009
How to Cite
Marcolongo, M., Young, B., Dal Pero, F., Fattovich, G., Peraro, L., Guido, M., Sebastiani, G., Palù, G. and Alberti, A. (2009), A seven-gene signature (cirrhosis risk score) predicts liver fibrosis progression in patients with initially mild chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology, 50: 1038–1044. doi: 10.1002/hep.23111
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 28 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2009
- 1Anonymous. Global surveillance and control of hepatitis C. Report of a WHO consultation organized in collaboration with the Viral Hepatitis Prevention Board, Antwerp, Belgium. J Viral Hepat 1999; 6: 35–47.
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Division of Viral Hepatitis. US disease burden data: 1980–2003. Available at: http//www.cdc.gov.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/ncidod/disease/hepatitis/resource/PDFs/disease_burden2004.pdf. Accessed January 18, 2008.
- 3Appendix: The National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Management of Hepatitis C 2002. Clin Liver Dis 2003; 7: 261–287., .
- 4OBSVIRC, METAVIR, CLINIVIR, and DOSVIRC groups. Natural history of liver fibrosis progression in chronic hepatitis C. Lancet 1997; 13: 975., , , for the
- 5Natural history of hepatitis C. J Hepatol 1999; 31(Suppl 1): 17–24., , .
- 6Disease progression in chronic hepatitis C: modifiable and nonmodifiable factors. Gastroenterology 2008; 134: 1699–1714., , .
- 7Influence of alcohol on the progression of hepatitis C virus infection: a meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 3: 1150–1159., , .
- 8The natural history of hepatitis C virus infection: host, viral, and environmental factors. JAMA 2000; 284: 450–456., , , , , , et al.
- 9Characteristics of patients with dual infection by hepatitis B and C viruses. J Hepatol 1998; 28: 27–33., , , , , , et al.
- 10Age at infection affects the long-term outcome of transfusion-associated chronic hepatitis C. Blood 2002; 99: 4588–4591., , , , , , et al.
- 11Measurement and determinants of the natural history of liver fibrosis in hepatitis C virus infection: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study. Gut 2003; 52: 574–579., , , , , , et al.
- 12LIDO Study Group. Fibrogenic impact of high serum glucose in chronic hepatitis C. J Hepatol 2003; 39: 1049–1055., , , , .
- 13Insulin resistance is associated with chronic hepatitis C virus infection and fibrosis progression. Gastroenterology 2003; 125: 1695–1704., , , , , , et al.
- 14Fibrosis progression in chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Gut 2004; 53: 318–321., .
- 15Genetic polymorphisms and the progression of liver fibrosis: a critical appraisal. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 37: 493–503., , .
- 16Host genetic factors influence disease progression in chronic hepatitis. HEPATOLOGY 2000; 31: 828–833., , , , , , et al.
- 17A 7 gene signature identifies the risk of developing cirrhosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 297–306., , , , , , et al.
- 18An algorithm for the grading of activity in chronic hepatitis C: the METAVIR Cooperative Study Group. HEPATOLOGY 1996; 24: 289–293., .
- 19Rising incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States. N Engl J Med 1999; 340: 745–750., .
- 20Outcome of hospital care of liver disease associated with hepatitis C in the United States. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 33: 201–206., , , , .
- 21A comparison in the progression of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C between persistently normal and elevated transaminase. J Hepatol 2003; 38: 511–517., , , .
- 22Progression of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 2003; 124: 97–104., , , , , , et al.