Advances in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease†
Article first published online: 15 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 1282–1293, October 2009
How to Cite
Loomba, R., Sirlin, C. B., Schwimmer, J. B. and Lavine, J. E. (2009), Advances in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology, 50: 1282–1293. doi: 10.1002/hep.23119
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 28 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 15 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 15 APR 2009
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Grant Numbers: U01DK61734, R01DK075128
- The American Gastroenterological Association Foundation-Sucampo-ASP Designated Research Scholar Award. Grant Number: R24DK080506
- 1Controversies in the management of pediatric liver disease: Hepatitis B, C and NAFLD: summary of a single topic conference. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 44: 1344–1354., , .
- 2Prevalence and trends in overweight and obesity among children and adolescents in Denmark. Scand J Public Health 2008; 36: 153–160., , , , , , et al.
- 3The prevalence of childhood overweight/obesity and the epidemic changes in 1985–2000 for Chinese school-age children and adolescents. Obes Rev 2008;(Suppl 1): 78–81..
- 4Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004. JAMA 2006; 295: 1549–1555., , , , , .
- 5Histopathology of pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 42: 641–649., , , , , , et al.
- 6Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 41: 1313–1321., , , , , , et al.
- 7Prevalence of fatty liver in a general population of Okinawa, Japan. Jpn J Med 1988; 27: 142–149., , , , , .
- 8Relation between elevated serum alanine aminotransferase and metabolic syndrome in Korean adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 82: 1046–1051., , , .
- 9Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in children. Front Biosci 2005; 10: 2306–2318..
- 10Prevalence of abnormal serum aminotransferase values in overweight and obese adolescents. J Pediatr 2000; 136: 727–733., , .
- 11Prevalence of fatty liver in Japanese children and relationship to obesity. An epidemiological ultrasonographic survey. Dig Dis Sci 1995; 40: 2002–2009., , , , , , et al.
- 12Influence of gender, race, and ethnicity on suspected fatty liver in obese adolescents. Pediatrics 2005; 115: e561–e565., , , , .
- 13Fatty liver hepatitis (steatohepatitis) and obesity: an autopsy study with analysis of risk factors. HEPATOLOGY 1990; 12: 1106–1110., .
- 14Prevalence of fatty liver in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2006; 118: 1388–1393., , , , , .
- 15Pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): a “growing” problem? J Hepatol 2007; 46: 1133–1142..
- 16Pubertal changes in insulin secretion and peripheral insulin sensitivity. Horm Res 1997; 48: 219–226., , , .
- 17Changes in insulin resistance and cardiovascular risk during adolescence: establishment of differential risk in males and females. Circulation 2008; 117: 2361–2368., , , , , , et al.
- 18NF-kappaB suppression provokes the sensitization of hormone-resistant breast cancer cells to estrogen apoptosis. Mol Cell Biochem 2009; 324: 65–71., , , , .
- 19Effects of estradiol on liver estrogen receptor-alpha and its mRNA expression in hepatic fibrosis in rats. World J Gastroenterol 2004; 10: 250–254., , , , , , et al.
- 20Estrogen receptor levels and lipid peroxidation in hepatocellular carcinoma with hepatitis C virus infection. Liver 2001; 21: 342–349., , , , , , et al.
- 21Uptake and protection against oxidative stress by estrogen esters in THP-1 human macrophage cell lines. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2001; 51: 81–84., .
- 22Estrogen replacement reverses the hepatic steatosis phenotype in the male aromatase knockout mouse. Endocrinology 2004; 145: 1842–1848., , , .
- 23Increased prevalence of insulin resistance and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Asian-Indian men. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 18273–18277., , , , , , et al.
- 24Steatohepatitis: a tale of two “hits”? Gastroenterology 1998; 114: 842–845., .
- 25Molecular mediators of hepatic steatosis and liver injury. J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 147–152., .
- 26Mechanisms of disease: pathogenesis of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 2: 46–53..
- 27Molecular mechanisms of lipotoxicity in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Semin Liver Dis 2008; 28: 360–369., .
- 28Fetuin-A and its relation to metabolic syndrome and fatty liver disease in obese children before and after weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93: 4479–4485., .
- 29Genetic variation in PNPLA3 confers susceptibility to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nat Genet 2008; 40: 1461–1465., , , , , , et al.
- 30Parental obesity and offspring serum alanine and aspartate aminotransferase levels: the Framingham heart study. Gastroenterology 2008; 134: 953–959., , , , , , et al.
- 31Heritability of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2009; 136: 1585–1592., , , , , , et al.
- 32Serum aminotransferase levels are associated with markers of hypoxia in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep 2008; 31: 121–126., , , , , , et al.
- 33Clinical correlates of histopathology in pediatric nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Gastroenterology 2008; 135: 1961–1971., , , , , .
- 34Serum aminotransferase activity and mortality risk in a United States community. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 880–887., , , , .
- 35Cardiovascular risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Circulation 2008; 118: 277–283., , , , .
- 36Intima-media thickness of carotid artery and susceptibility to atherosclerosis in obese children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2008; 47: 68–75., , , , , .
- 37Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and carotid atherosclerosis in children. Pediatr Res 2008; 63: 423–427., , , , , , et al.
- 38The natural history of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children: a follow-up study for up to 20 years [Abstract]. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 48: 64A., , , , .
- 39Correlation of serum TNF-alpha levels and histologic liver injury scores in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Am J Clin Pathol 2007; 127: 954–960., , , .
- 40Cytokines and NASH: a pilot study of the effects of lifestyle modification and vitamin E. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 38: 413–419., , , , .
- 41Systemic levels of lipid peroxidation and its metabolic and dietary correlates in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 1497–1502., , .
- 42Cytokeratin 18, a marker of cell death, is increased in children with suspected nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2008; 47: 481–485., , , , , .
- 43Noninvasive diagnosis and monitoring of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: present and future. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 582–589., , .
- 44Performance of ELF serum markers in predicting fibrosis stage in pediatric non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2009; 136: 160–167., , , , , , et al.
- 45Accuracy and reproducibility of transient elastography for the diagnosis of fibrosis in pediatric nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 48: 442–448., , , , , , et al.
- 46Reversal of nonalcoholic hepatic steatosis, hepatic insulin resistance, and hyperglycemia by moderate weight reduction in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2005; 54: 603–608., , , , , .
- 47Case management in children affected by non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Paediatr Child Health 2007; 43: 414., , , .
- 48The effect of a low-carbohydrate diet on the nonalcoholic fatty liver in morbidly obese patients before bariatric surgery. Surg Endosc 2007; 21: 1423–1427., , , , , , et al.
- 49Effects of a low-glycemic load vs low-fat diet in obese young adults: a randomized trial. JAMA 2007; 297: 2092–2102., , , , .
- 50Management of child and adolescent obesity: summary and recommendations based on reports from pediatricians, pediatric nurse practitioners, and registered dietitians. Pediatrics 2002; 110: 236–238., .
- 51Guidelines for childhood obesity prevention programs: promoting healthy weight in children. J Nutr Educ Behav 2003; 35: 1–4., , .
- 52Vitamin E treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in children: a pilot study. J Pediatr 2000; 136: 734–738..
- 53Lifestyle intervention and antioxidant therapy in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized, controlled trial. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 48: 119–128., , , , , , et al.
- 54Lack of efficacy of ursodeoxycholic acid for the treatment of liver abnormalities in obese children. J Pediatr 2000; 136: 739–743., , , , .
- 55Randomized placebo-controlled trial of ursodeoxycholic acid with vitamin e in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4: 1537–1543., , , , , , et al.
- 562008; doi:10.1111/j.1365-2036.2008.03869.x. Available at: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com., , , , , , et al. Clinical trial: pilot study of metformin for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther
- 57A phase 2 clinical trial of metformin as a treatment for non-diabetic paediatric non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005; 21: 871–879., , , .
- 58The effects of discontinuing pioglitazone in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 424–429., , , , , , et al.
- 59Placebo in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: insight into natural history and implications for future clinical trials. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008; 6: 1243–1248., , , , , .