Autoimmune, Cholestatic and Biliary Disease
Deletion of interleukin-12p40 suppresses autoimmune cholangitis in dominant negative transforming growth factor β receptor type II mice†
Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 1494–1500, November 2009
How to Cite
Yoshida, K., Yang, G.-X., Zhang, W., Tsuda, M., Tsuneyama, K., Moritoki, Y., Ansari, A. A., Okazaki, K., Lian, Z.-X., Coppel, R. L., Mackay, I. R. and Gershwin, M. E. (2009), Deletion of interleukin-12p40 suppresses autoimmune cholangitis in dominant negative transforming growth factor β receptor type II mice. Hepatology, 50: 1494–1500. doi: 10.1002/hep.23132
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAY 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: DK39588, DK077961
- 1Primary biliary cirrhosis: an orchestrated immune response against epithelial cells. Immunol Rev 2000; 174: 210–225., , , , , , et al.
- 2Primary biliary cirrhosis. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1261–1273., .
- 3Identification and specificity of a cDNA encoding the 70 kd mitochondrial antigen recognized in primary biliary cirrhosis. J Immunol 1987; 138: 3525–3531., , , .
- 4Distinct costimulation dependent and independent autoreactive T-cell clones in primary biliary cirrhosis. Gastroenterology 2003; 125: 1379–1387., , , , , , et al.
- 5Quantitative and functional analysis of PDC-E2-specific autoreactive cytotoxic T lymphocytes in primary biliary cirrhosis. J Clin Invest 2002; 109: 1231–1240., , , , , , et al.
- 6Autoreactive T-cell responses in primary biliary cirrhosis are proinflammatory whereas those of controls are regulatory. Gastroenterology 2006; 131: 606–618., , , , , , et al.
- 7Anti-mitochondrial antibodies and primary biliary cirrhosis in TGF-beta receptor II dominant-negative mice. J Immunol 2006; 177: 1655–1660., , , , , , et al.
- 8Adoptive transfer of CD8+ T cells from dnTGFbetaRII mice induces autoimmune cholangitis into Rag1(-/-) mice. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 21: 1974–1982., , , , , , et al.
- 9Role of Th1 and Th17 cells in organ-specific autoimmunity. J Autoimmun 2008; 31: 252–256., , , .
- 10GM-CSF-induced autoimmune gastritis in interferon alpha receptor deficient mice. J Autoimmun 2008; 31: 274–280., , , .
- 11Inflammatory and prothrombotic biomarkers in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: effects of tumor necrosis factor-alpha blockade. J Autoimmun 2008; 31: 175–179., , , , , , et al.
- 12Serum IL-12 in systemic lupus erythematosus: absence of p70 heterodimers but presence of p40 monomers correlating with disease activity. Lupus 2002; 11: 384–387., , .
- 13Combined effects of IL-12 and IL-18 on the induction of collagen-induced arthritis. J Immunol 2000; 164: 6495–6502., , , , .
- 14Interleukin 12 is expressed and actively released by Crohn's disease intestinal lamina propria mononuclear cells. Gastroenterology 1997; 112: 1169–1178., , , , , , et al.
- 15Expression of interleukin-12 is increased in psoriatic skin. J Invest Dermatol 1998; 111: 1053–1057., , , , .
- 16Identification and purification of natural killer cell stimulatory factor (NKSF), a cytokine with multiple biologic effects on human lymphocytes. J Exp Med 1989; 170: 827–845., , , , , , et al.
- 17IL-12-deficient mice are defective in IFN gamma production and type 1 cytokine responses. Immunity 1996; 4: 471–481., , , , , , et al.
- 18Interleukin-12: a proinflammatory cytokine with immunoregulatory functions that bridge innate resistance and antigen-specific adaptive immunity. Annu Rev Immunol 1995; 13: 251–276..
- 19IL-12 and IL-23: master regulators of innate and adaptive immunity. Immunol Rev 2004; 202: 96–105., , , , , .
- 20Dendritic cells produce IL-12 and direct the development of Th1 cells from naive CD4+ T cells. J Immunol 1995; 154: 5071–5079., , , , , , et al.
- 21Epitope mapping and reactivity of autoantibodies to the E2 component of 2-oxoglutarate dehydrogenase complex in primary biliary cirrhosis using recombinant 2-oxoglutarate dehydrogenase complex. HEPATOLOGY 1996; 23: 436–444., , , , , , et al.
- 22Human Mig chemokine: biochemical and functional characterization. J Exp Med 1995; 182: 1301–1314., , , , , .
- 23Biochemical characterization of a gamma interferon-inducible cytokine (IP-10). J Exp Med 1987; 166: 1084–1097., .
- 24IFN-alpha2a induces IP-10/CXCL10 and MIG/CXCL9 production in monocyte-derived dendritic cells and enhances their capacity to attract and stimulate CD8+ effector T cells. J Leukoc Biol 2002; 71: 669–676., , , .
- 25Interferon-inducible protein 10, monokine induced by interferon gamma, and interferon-inducible T-cell alpha chemoattractant are produced by thymic epithelial cells and attract T-cell receptor (TCR) alphabeta+ CD8+ single-positive T cells, TCRgammadelta+ T cells, and natural killer-type cells in human thymus. Blood 2001; 97: 601–607., , , , , , et al.
- 26Novel p19 protein engages IL-12p40 to form a cytokine, IL-23, with biological activities similar as well as distinct from IL-12. Immunity 2000; 13: 715–725., , , , , , et al.
- 27Mouse interleukin-12 (IL-12) p40 homodimer: a potent IL-12 antagonist. Eur J Immunol 1995; 25: 200–206., , , , , , et al.
- 28Interleukin-23 rather than interleukin-12 is the critical cytokine for autoimmune inflammation of the brain. Nature 2003; 421: 744–748., , , , , , et al.
- 29IL-23 drives a pathogenic T cell population that induces autoimmune inflammation. J Exp Med 2005; 201: 233–240., , , , , , et al.
- 30IL-12- and IL-23-modulated T cells induce distinct types of EAE based on histology, CNS chemokine profile, and response to cytokine inhibition. J Exp Med 2008; 205: 1535–1541., , , .
- 31Induction of autoimmune cholangitis in non-obese diabetic (NOD).1101 mice following a chemical xenobiotic immunization. Clin Exp Immunol 2009; 155: 577–586., , , , , , et al.
- 32Dual role of the IL-12/IFN-gamma axis in the development of autoimmune myocarditis: induction by IL-12 and protection by IFN-gamma. J Immunol 2001; 167: 5464–5469., , , , .
- 33T cell-mediated pathology in two models of experimental colitis depends predominantly on the interleukin 12/Signal transducer and activator of transcription (Stat)-4 pathway, but is not conditional on interferon gamma expression by T cells. J Exp Med 1998; 187: 1225–1234., , , , , , et al.
- 34Interleukin 12 (IL-12) induces tyrosine phosphorylation of JAK2 and TYK2: differential use of Janus family tyrosine kinases by IL-2 and IL-12. J Exp Med 1995; 181: 399–404., , , , , .
- 35A role for IL-12 receptor expression and signal transduction in host defense in leprosy. J Immunol 2001; 167: 779–786., , , , , , et al.
- 36Toll-like receptors differentially induce nucleosome remodelling at the IL-12p40 promoter. EMBO Rep 2004; 5: 172–177., , , , , .
- 37Differential regulation of the IL-12 p40 promoter and of p40 secretion by CpG DNA and lipopolysaccharide. J Immunol 1999; 162: 6770–6775., , , , .
- 38Cytokine induction by purified lipoteichoic acids from various bacterial species—role of LBP, sCD14, CD14 and failure to induce IL-12 and subsequent IFN-gamma release. Eur J Immunol 2002; 32: 541–551., , , , , , et al.
- 39Kinetic of RelA activation controls magnitude of TLR-mediated IL-12p40 induction. J Immunol 2009; 182: 2176–2184., , , , .