fax: +49 3834 866684.
Steatohepatitis/Metabolic Liver Disease
Article first published online: 19 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 1403–1411, November 2009
How to Cite
Haring, R., Wallaschofski, H., Nauck, M., Dörr, M., Baumeister, S. E. and Völzke, H. (2009), Ultrasonographic hepatic steatosis increases prediction of mortality risk from elevated serum gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase levels. Hepatology, 50: 1403–1411. doi: 10.1002/hep.23135
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
SHIP is part of the Community Medicine Net (http://www.medizin.uni-greifswald.de/cm) of the University of Greifswald
- Issue published online: 29 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 19 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 19 FEB 2009
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Grant Number: 01ZZ0403
- Ministry for Education, Research, and Cultural Affairs
- Ministry for Social Affairs of the Federal State of Mecklenburg, West Pomerania
- Competence Network Diabetes mellitus of Germany Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Novo Nordisc
- 1Gamma-glutamyltransferase: determinants and association with mortality from ischemic heart disease and all causes. Am J Epidemiol 1995; 142: 699–708., , .
- 2Gamma-glutamyltransferase as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease mortality: an epidemiological investigation in a cohort of 163,944 Austrian adults. Circulation 2005; 112: 2130–2137., , , , , .
- 3Longitudinal change in serum gamma-glutamyltransferase and cardiovascular disease mortality: a prospective population-based study in 76,113 Austrian adults. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2008; 28: 1857–1865., , , , , , et al.
- 4Serum gamma-glutamyltransferase and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Japanese men. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 1427–1432., , .
- 5Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase and the metabolic syndrome. J Intern Med 2000; 248: 230–238., , , , , .
- 6Three-year increase of gamma-glutamyltransferase level and development of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged men and women: the D.E.S.I.R. cohort. Diabetologia 2006; 49: 2599–2603., , , , .
- 7Gamma-glutamyltransferase is a predictor of incident diabetes and hypertension: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study. Clin Chem 2003; 49: 1358–1366., , , , , , et al.
- 8Serum gamma-glutamyl transferase level in predicting hypertension among male drinkers. J Hum Hypertens 1994; 8: 445–449., , , , , , et al.
- 9Gamma-glutamyltransferase and risk of stroke: the EUROSTROKE project. J Epidemiol Commun Health 2002; 56(Suppl 1): i25–i29., , , , , , et al.
- 10Serum gamma-glutamyl transferase, self-reported alcohol drinking, and the risk of stroke. Stroke 2000; 31: 1851–1855., , .
- 11The epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in adults. J Clin Gastroenterol 2006; 40(Suppl 1): S5–S10..
- 12Effect of body mass and other factors on serum liver enzyme levels in men attending for well population screening. Ann Clin Biochem 1989; 26(Pt 5): 393–400., .
- 13Fat distribution and gamma-glutamyl transferase in relation to serum lipids and blood pressure in 38-year old Dutch males. Eur J Clin Nutr 1989; 43: 809–818., , , .
- 14Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and the metabolic syndrome. Am J Med Sci 2005; 330: 326–335..
- 15Hepatic steatosis is associated with an increased risk of carotid atherosclerosis. World J Gastroenterol 2005; 11: 1848–1853., , , , , , et al.
- 16Menopausal status and hepatic steatosis in a general female population. Gut 2007; 56: 594–595., , , , , , et al.
- 17Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the metabolic syndrome. Minerva Cardioangiol 2006; 54: 229–239., .
- 18Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Atherosclerosis 2007; 191: 235–240., .
- 19Extended recruitment efforts minimize attrition but not necessarily bias. J Clin Epidemiol 2009; 62: 252–260., , , , , , et al.
- 20Study of Health In Pomerania (SHIP): a health examination survey in an east German region: objectives and design. Sozial Praventivmed 2001; 46: 186–194., , , , , , et al.
- 21The relationship of income inequality to mortality: does the choice of indicator matter? Soc Sci Med 1997; 45: 1121–1127., .
- 22Laboratory markers carbohydrate-deficient transferrin, gamma-glutamyltransferase, and mean corpuscular volume are not useful as screening tools for high-risk drinking in the general population: results from the Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP). Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2004; 28: 931–940., , , .
- 23Cardiovascular survey methods. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004., , , .
- 24NYHA. Nomenclature and Criteria for Diagnosis of Diseases of the Heart and Great Vessels. 9th ed. Boston: Little Brown; 1994: 253–255.
- 25The development of a comorbidity index with physical function as the outcome. J Clin Epidemiol 2005; 58: 595–602., , , .
- 26Prevalence of and risk factors for hepatic steatosis in Northern Italy. Ann Intern Med 2000; 132: 112–117., , , , , , et al.
- 27The association of thyroid function with cardiac mass and left ventricular hypertrophy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 673–677., , , , , , et al.
- 28Methods for quality assurance of medical examination in epidemiological field studies: the “Study of Health in Pomerania” (SHIP).] Gesundheitswesen (Bundesverband der Arzte des Offentlichen Gesundheitsdienstes, Germany) 2000; 62: 234–243., , , , , , et al. [
- 29Thyroid function and carotid wall thickness. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 89: 2145–2149., , , , , , et al.
- 30Risk factors for goiter in a previously iodine-deficient region. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2005; 113: 507–515., , , , , , et al.
- 31A score for predicting risk of death from cardiovascular disease in adults with raised blood pressure, based on individual patient data from randomised controlled trials. BMJ (Clin Res) 2001; 323: 75–81., , , , , .
- 32Applied Survival Analysis: Regression Modeling of Time to Event Data. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons; 2008., .
- 33The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Lancet 2007; 370: 1453–1457., , , , , .
- 34gamma-Glutamyltransferase, obesity, and the risk of type 2 diabetes: observational cohort study among 20,158 middle-aged men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 89: 5410–5414., , , , .
- 35Seven-year longitudinal population study of change in gamma-glutamyltransferase: the Tromso Study. Am J Epidemiol 1994; 139: 787–792., .
- 36Distribution, determinants, and prognostic value of gamma-glutamyltransferase for all-cause mortality in a cohort of construction workers from southern Germany. Prevent Med 1997; 26: 305–310., , , , , .
- 37Gamma glutamyl transferase and metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and mortality risk: the Framingham Heart Study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007; 27: 127–133., , , , , , et al.
- 38Association between serum gamma-glutamyltransferase and C-reactive protein. Atherosclerosis 2005; 178: 327–330.,
- 39Is serum gamma glutamyltransferase a marker of oxidative stress? Free Radic Res 2004; 38: 535–539., ,
- 40Is serum gamma-glutamyltransferase inversely associated with serum antioxidants as a marker of oxidative stress? Free Radic Biol Med 2004; 37: 1018–1023., , , , , .
- 41Molecular mediators of hepatic steatosis and liver injury. J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 147–152., .
- 42The role of ultrasound in the diagnosis of hepatic steatosis in morbidly obese patients. Obes Surg 2004; 14: 635–637., , , , , , et al.
- 43The spectrum of liver disease in the general population: lesson from the Dionysos study. J Hepatol 2001; 35: 531–537., .
- 44Serum C-reactive protein levels can be used to predict future ischemic stroke and mortality in Japanese men from the general population. Atherosclerosis 2009; 204: 234–238., , , , , , et al.
- 45C-reactive protein and all-cause mortality in a large hospital-based cohort. Clin Chem 2008; 54: 343–349., , , , , , et al.