Autoimmune, Cholestatic and Biliary Disease
Are transient environmental agents involved in the cause of primary biliary cirrhosis? Evidence from space–time clustering analysis†
Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 1169–1174, October 2009
How to Cite
McNally, R. J. Q., Ducker, S. and James, O. F. W. (2009), Are transient environmental agents involved in the cause of primary biliary cirrhosis? Evidence from space–time clustering analysis. Hepatology, 50: 1169–1174. doi: 10.1002/hep.23139
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 28 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 22 DEC 2008
- Medical Research Council (UK)
- 1Primary biliary cirrhosis. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1261–1273., .
- 2Familial primary biliary cirrhosis reassessed: a geographically-based population study. J Hepatol 1999; 30: 402–407., , , , .
- 3Familial primary biliary cirrhosis. J Hepatol 1994; 20: 698–701., .
- 4M2 mitochondrial antibodies and urinary rough mutant bacteria in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis and in patients with recurrent bacteriuria. J Hepatol 1993; 17: 408–414., , , , , .
- 5Mycobacterial DNA not detected in liver sections from patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. J Hepatol 1998; 28: 433–438., , , , , .
- 6Patients with primary biliary cirrhosis react against a ubiquitous xenobiotic-matabolizing bacterium. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 38: 1250–1257., , , , , , et al.
- 7Does a betaretrovirus infection trigger primary biliary cirrhosis? Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 8454–8459., , , , , , et al.
- 8PBC: an infectious disease. Gut 2000; 47: 586–588., .
- 9The geographical distribution of primary biliary cirrhosis in a well-defined cohort. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34: 1083–1088., , , , , .
- 10Primary biliary cirrhosis once rare, now common in the United Kingdom? HEPATOLOGY 1999; 30: 390–394., , , , , .
- 11Office for National Statistics 2001 Census: small area statistics and local base statistics [computer file]. ESRC/JISC Census Programme, Census Dissemination Unit, MIMAS, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK; 2001.
- 12Incidence and prevalence of primary biliary cirrhosis in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Int J Epidemiol 1997; 26: 830–836., , , , .
- 13Interactive spatial data analysis. Harlow, Essex, UK: Longman, 1995., .
- 14Second-order analysis of space-time clustering. Stat Methods Med Res 1995; 4: 124–136., , , .
- 15The detection of space-time interactions. Applied Stats 1964; 13: 25–29..
- 16Space-time clustering of childhood cancer in Great Britain: a national study, 1969–1993. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 2840–2846., , .
- 17Space-time clustering of type 1 diabetes among 0- to 29-year-olds in Yorkshire, UK. Diabetologia 2006; 49: 900–904., , , , , .
- 18Space-time analysis of Down syndrome: results consistent with transient pre-disposing contagious agent. Int J Epidemiol 2008; 37: 1169–1179., , , , .
- 19A k nearest neighbour test for space-time interaction. Stat Med 1996; 15: 1935–1949..
- 20A space-time permutation scan statistic for disease outbreak detection. PLoS Med 2005; 2: e59., , , , .
- 21Spatial and space-time clustering of childhood acute leukaemia in France from 1990 to 2000: a nationwide study. Br J Cancer 2006; 94: 763–770., , , , .
- 22Space-time clustering analyses of occurrence of cerebral palsy in Northern England for births 1991 to 2003. Ann Epidemiol 2008; 18: 108–112., .
- 23A spatial scan statistic. Commun Stat Theory Methods 1997; 26: 1481–1496..
- 24Information Management Services, Inc. SaTScan version 7.0: Software for the spatial and space-time scan statistics. 2006. www.satscan.org. Accessed July 2009.,
- 25Office of Population Censuses and Surveys Census Division, General Register Office (Scotland) Census Branch 1981 census small area statistics: 100% population and households aggregated to ward level (Great Britain) [computer file]. Colchester, Essex, UK: UK Data Archive [distributor] SN, 1893, 1983.
- 26Office for National Statistics. 1991 Census: small area statistics and local base statistics [computer file]. ESRC/JISC Census Programme, Census Dissemination Unit, MIMAS, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, 1991.
- 27The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res 1967; 27: 209–220..
- 28The Knox method and other tests for space-time interaction. Biometrics 1999; 55: 544–552., .