Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 1009–1013, October 2009
How to Cite
Cazanave, S. C. and Gores, G. J. (2009), The liver's dance with death: Two Bcl-2 guardian proteins from the abyss. Hepatology, 50: 1009–1013. doi: 10.1002/hep.23188
See Article on Page 1217
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 28 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- National Institutes of Health, and the Mayo Foundation. Grant Number: DK 41876
- 1Serum activity of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) as an indicator of health and disease. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 1363–1370., , , .
- 2Apoptosis: controlled demolition at the cellular level. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2008; 9: 231–241., , .
- 3Apoptosis: a basic biological phenomenon with wide-ranging implications in tissue kinetics. Br J Cancer 1972; 26: 239–257., , .
- 4Cell death: the significance of apoptosis. Int Rev Cytol 1980; 68: 251–306., , .
- 5Life and death by death receptors. FASEB J 2009; 23: 1625–1637., .
- 6The BCL-2 protein family: opposing activities that mediate cell death. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2008; 9: 47–59., .
- 7Bax activation by the BH3-only protein Puma promotes cell dependence on antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family members. J Cell Biol 2009; 185: 279–290., , , , , , et al.
- 8BAX activation is initiated at a novel interaction site. Nature 2008; 455: 1076–1081., , , , , , et al.
- 9A stapled BID BH3 helix directly binds and activates BAX. Mol Cell 2006; 24: 199–210., , , , , , et al.
- 10Bcl-2-regulated apoptosis: mechanism and therapeutic potential. Curr Opin Immunol 2007; 19: 488–496., .
- 11Expression of Bcl-2 family during liver regeneration and identification of Bcl-x as a delayed early response gene. Am J Pathol 1997; 150: 1985–1995., , .
- 12Accelerated neutrophil apoptosis in mice lacking A1-a, a subtype of the bcl-2-related A1 gene. J Exp Med 1998; 188: 1985–1992., , , , , , et al.
- 13Apoptosis regulator bcl-w is essential for spermatogenesis but appears otherwise redundant. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998; 95: 12424–12431., , , , , , et al.
- 14Testicular degeneration in Bclw-deficient mice. Nat Genet 1998; 18: 251–256., , , , , , et al.
- 15Hepatocyte-specific disruption of Bcl-xL leads to continuous hepatocyte apoptosis and liver fibrotic responses. Gastroenterology 2004; 127: 1189–1197., , , , , , et al.
- 16Knockout of myeloid cell leukemia-1 induces liver damage and increases apoptosis susceptibility of murine hepatocytes. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 49: 627–636., , , , , , et al.
- 17Mcl-1 and Bcl-xL cooperatively maintain integrity of hepatocytes in developing adult liver. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 50: 1217–1226., , , , , , et al.
- 18Bid, a BH3-only multi-functional molecule, is at the cross road of life and death. Gene 2006; 369: 7–19..
- 19Death receptor-mediated apoptosis and the liver. J Hepatol 2002; 37: 400–410., .
- 20Bid-deficient mice are resistant to Fas-induced hepatocellular apoptosis. Nature 1999; 400: 886–891., , , , , , et al.
- 21Fatal hepatitis mediated by tumor necrosis factor TNFalpha requires caspase-8 and involves the BH3-only proteins Bid and Bim. Immunity 2009; 30: 56–66., , , , , , et al.
- 22Intracellular survival pathways in the liver. Liver Int 2006; 26: 1163–1174., .
- 23Is TRAIL hepatotoxic? HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34: 3–6., .
- 24Constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) ligand, TCPOBOP, attenuates Fas-induced murine liver injury by altering Bcl-2 proteins. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 44: 252–262., , , , , , et al.
- 25Differential protective effects of Bcl-xL and Bcl-2 on apoptotic liver injury in transgenic mice. Am J Physiol 1999; 277: G702–G708., , , , , , et al.
- 26Antisense oligonucleotide inhibition of Bcl-xL and Bid expression in liver regulates responses in a mouse model of Fas-induced fulminant hepatitis. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2003; 307: 24–33., , , , , , et al.
- 27TRAIL receptor-mediated JNK activation and Bim phosphorylation critically regulate Fas-mediated liver damage and lethality. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 2493–2499., , , , , , et al.
- 28BH3-only proteins in control: specificity regulates MCL-1 and BAK-mediated apoptosis. Genes Dev 2005; 19: 1263–1268., .
- 29Differential targeting of prosurvival Bcl-2 proteins by their BH3-only ligands allows complementary apoptotic function. Mol Cell 2005; 17: 393–403., , , , , , et al.
- 30Mcl-1 interacts with truncated Bid and inhibits its induction of cytochrome c release and its role in receptor-mediated apoptosis. J Biol Chem 2006; 281: 5750–5759., , , , .
- 31BH3 profiling identifies three distinct classes of apoptotic blocks to predict response to ABT-737 and conventional chemotherapeutic agents. Cancer Cell 2007; 12: 171–185., , , , , .
- 32Programmed anuclear cell death delimits platelet life span. Cell 2007; 128: 1173–1186., , , , , , et al.
- 33Chronic lymphocytic leukemia requires BCL2 to sequester prodeath BIM, explaining sensitivity to BCL2 antagonist ABT-737. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 112–121., , , , , .
- 34Serine 64 phosphorylation enhances the antiapoptotic function of Mcl-1. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 18407–18417., , , , , , et al.
- 35Bcl-xL deamidation is a critical switch in the regulation of the response to DNA damage. Cell 2002; 111: 51–62., , , , , , et al.
- 36Identification of the major phosphorylation site in Bcl-xL induced by microtubule inhibitors and analysis of its functional significance. J Biol Chem 2008; 283: 35517–35525., , , , , , et al.
- 37JNK phosphorylation of Bim-related members of the Bcl2 family induces Bax-dependent apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 2432–2437., .
- 38Caspase cleavage of BimEL triggers a positive feedback amplification of apoptotic signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004; 101: 1235–1240., .