Liver Failure/Cirrhosis/Portal Hypertension
Inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 by adenovirus mediated small interfering RNA attenuates hepatic fibrosis in rats†
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 1524–1536, November 2009
How to Cite
Zhong, W., Shen, W.-F., Ning, B.-F., Hu, P.-F., Lin, Y., Yue, H.-Y., Yin, C., Hou, J.-L., Chen, Y.-X., Zhang, J.-P., Zhang, X. and Xie, W.-F. (2009), Inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 by adenovirus mediated small interfering RNA attenuates hepatic fibrosis in rats. Hepatology, 50: 1524–1536. doi: 10.1002/hep.23189
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 29 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2009
- National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars. Grant Number: 30825020
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 30570838
- Shanghai Rising-Star Program. Grant Number: 06QA14070
- 1Molecular regulation of hepatic fibrosis, an integrated cellular response to tissue injury. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 2247–2250..
- 2Hepatic lipocytes: the principal collagen-producing cells of normal rat liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1985; 82: 8681–8685., , , .
- 3Hepatic stellate cells: unique characteristics in cell biology and phenotype. Cell Struct Funct 2003; 28: 105–112., , .
- 4Transcriptional regulation of hepatic stellate cell activation. Gut 2002; 50: 891–896., .
- 5Cellular and molecular mechanisms of fibrosis. J Pathol 2008; 214: 199–210..
- 6Prominent contribution of portal mesenchymal cells to liver fibrosis in ischemic and obstructive cholestatic injuries. Lab Invest 2007; 87: 292–303., , , , , .
- 7Hepatocyte growth factor attenuates liver fibrosis induced by bile duct ligation. Am J Pathol 2006; 168: 1500–1512., , , .
- 8Epithelial-mesenchymal transition contributes to portal tract fibrogenesis during human chronic liver disease. Lab Invest 2007; 88: 112–123., , , , , , et al.
- 9Mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase 2 regulates cytoskeletal organization and chemotaxis via catalytic and microtubule-specific interactions. Mol Biol Cell 1997; 8: 1219–1232., , , .
- 10Growth factor-induced p42/p44 MAPK nuclear translocation and retention requires both MAPK activation and neosynthesis of nuclear anchoring proteins. J Cell Biol 1998; 142: 625–633., , , .
- 11Role of reactive oxygen species in TGF-β1-induced mitogen-activated protein kinase activation and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in renal tubular tpithelial cells. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005; 16: 667–675., , , , , , et al.
- 12Aldosterone induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition via ROS of mitochondrial origin. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2007; 293: 723–731., , , .
- 13Pro-fibrogenic potential of PDGF-D in liver fibrosis. J Hepatol 2007; 46: 1064–1074., , , , , .
- 14Leptin represses matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene expression in LX2 human hepatic stellate cells. J Hepatol 2007; 46: 124–133., , .
- 15JunD is a profibrogenic transcription factor regulated by Jun N-terminal kinase-independent phosphorylation. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 44: 1432–1440., , , , , , et al.
- 16Differential expression genes analyzed by cDNA array in the regulation of rat hepatic fibrogenesis. Liver Int 2006; 26: 1126–1137., , , , , , et al.
- 17Gene silencing by adenovirus-delivered siRNA. FEBS Lett 2003; 539: 111–114., , , , .
- 18An immortalized rat liver stellate cell line (HSC-T6): a new cell model for the study of retinoid metabolism in vitro. J Lipid Res 2000; 41: 882–893., , , , , , et al.
- 19Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983; 65: 55–63..
- 20Targeted inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor receptor-β subunit in hepatic stellate cells ameliorates hepatic fibrosis in rats. Gene Ther 2008; 15: 1424–1435., , , , , .
- 21Quantitative ultrasonic tissue characterization as a new tool for continuous monitoring of chronic liver remodelling in mice. Liver Int 2007; 27: 854–864., , , , , , et al.
- 22Treatment of experimental hepatic fibrosis by combinational delivery of urokinase-type plasminogen activator and hepatocyte growth factor genes. Liver Int 2005; 25: 796–807., , , , , , et al.
- 23Signal transduction through MAP kinase cascades. Adv Cancer Res 1998; 74: 49–139., , .
- 24Modelling oncogenic Ras/Raf signalling in the mouse. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2009; 19: 4–11., .
- 25Extracellular signal regulated kinase and SMAD signaling both mediate the angiotensin II driven progression towards overt heart failure in homozygous TGR(mRen2)27. J Mol Med 2004; 82: 678–687., , , , , , et al.
- 26TGF-β1 stimulates human AT1 receptor expression in lung fibroblasts by cross talk between the Smad, p38 MAPK, JNK, and PI3K signaling pathways. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2007; 293: L790–L799., , , , , , et al.
- 27Unc119 regulates myofibroblast differentiation through the activation of Fyn and the p38 MAPK pathway. J Immunol 2007; 179: 682–690., , , , , .
- 28TGFβ stimulated re-epithelialisation is regulated by CTGF and Ras/MEK/ERK signalling. Exp Cell Res 2008; 314: 131–142., , , , , .
- 29Mitogen activated protein kinases in renal fibrosis. Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2009; 1: 171–187., , , .
- 30Role of mechanical and redox stress in activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases in primary cultured rat hepatocytes. Biochem Pharmacol 2005; 70: 1785–1795., , , , .
- 31Activation of the ERK and AKT signalling pathway predicts poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma and ERK activation in cancer tissue is associated with hepatitis C virus infection. J Hepatol 2008; 48: 83–90., , , , , , et al.
- 32Hepatic stellate cell/myofibroblast subpopulations in fibrotic human and rat livers. J Hepatol 2002; 36: 200–209., , , , .
- 33Fibroblasts derive from hepatocytes in liver fibrosis via epithelial to mesenchymal transition. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 23337–23347., , , , , , et al.
- 34Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2006; 7: 131–142., .
- 35Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in tumour progression. Nat Rev Cancer 2002; 2: 442–454..
- 36Evidence that fibroblasts derive from epithelium during tissue fibrosis. J Clin Invest 2002; 110: 341–350., , , , , .
- 37Induction of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in alveolar epithelial cells by transforming growth factor-β1: potential role in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Pathol 2005; 166: 1321–1332., , , , , , et al.
- 38The epithelial-mesenchymal transition: new insights in signaling, development, and disease. J Cell Biol 2006; 172: 973–998., , , .
- 39Bone morphogenetic protein 4 mediates bile duct ligation induced liver fibrosis through activation of Smad1 and ERK1/2 in rat hepatic stellate cells. J Cell Physiol 2006; 207: 499–505., , , , , , et al.
- 40ERK, p38, and Smad signaling pathways differentially regulate transforming growth factor-β1 autoinduction in proximal tubular epithelial cells. Am J Pathol 2006; 169: 1282–1293., , .
- 41Distinct functions for ERKs? J Biol 2006; 5: 13..
- 42ERK2 but not ERK1 plays a key role in hepatocyte replication: an RNAi-mediated ERK2 knockdown approach in wild-type and ERK1 null hepatocytes. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 1035–1045., , , , , , et al.
- 43TGFbeta induces apoptosis and EMT in primary mouse hepatocytes independently of p53, p21Cip1 or Rb status. BMC Cancer 2008; 8: 191–201., , , , .
- 44Enhanced matrix degradation after withdrawal of TGF-β1 triggers hepatocytes from apoptosis to proliferation and regeneration. Cell Prolif 2005; 38: 287–299., , , , .
- 45Widespread siRNA “off-target” transcript silencing mediated by seed region sequence complementarity. RNA 2006; 7: 1179–1187., , , , , , et al.
- 46Off-target effects of siRNA specific for GFP. BMC Mol Biol 2008; 9: 60., , , , , , et al.
- 47Hydrophobization and bioconjugation for enhanced siRNA delivery and targeting. RNA 2007; 13: 431–456., , .