Yasuhiro Itsui and Naoya Sakamoto contributed to this work.
Antiviral effects of the interferon-induced protein guanylate binding protein 1 and its interaction with the hepatitis C virus NS5B protein†
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1727–1737, December 2009
How to Cite
Itsui, Y., Sakamoto, N., Kakinuma, S., Nakagawa, M., Sekine-Osajima, Y., Tasaka-Fujita, M., Nishimura-Sakurai, Y., Suda, G., Karakama, Y., Mishima, K., Yamamoto, M., Watanabe, T., Ueyama, M., Funaoka, Y., Azuma, S. and Watanabe, M. (2009), Antiviral effects of the interferon-induced protein guanylate binding protein 1 and its interaction with the hepatitis C virus NS5B protein. Hepatology, 50: 1727–1737. doi: 10.1002/hep.23195
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2009
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
- Japan Health Sciences Foundation
- National Institute of Biomedical Innovation
- 1Epidemiology of hepatitis C. HEPATOLOGY 1997; 26: 62S–65S..
- 2Interferon alfa-2b alone or in combination with ribavirin as initial treatment for chronic hepatitis C. Hepatitis Interventional Therapy Group. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1485–1492., , , , , , et al.
- 3Antiviral actions of interferons. Clin Microbiol Rev 2001; 14: 778–809..
- 4The interferon-alpha/beta system in antiviral responses: a multimodal machinery of gene regulation by the IRF family of transcription factors. Curr Opin Immunol 2002; 14: 111–116., .
- 5Interferon-gamma inhibits replication of subgenomic and genomic hepatitis C virus RNAs. HEPATOLOGY 2002; 35: 694–703., , , , , , et al.
- 6Effect of alpha interferon on the hepatitis C virus replicon. J Virol 2001; 75: 8516–8523., , .
- 7Regulation of hepatitis C virus replication by interferon regulatory factor-1. J Virol 2004; 78: 9713–9720., , , , , , et al.
- 8Expressional screening of interferon-stimulated genes for antiviral activity against hepatitis C virus replication. J Viral Hepat 2006; 13: 690–700., , , , , , et al.
- 9Efficient replication of the genotype 2a hepatitis C virus subgenomic replicon. Gastroenterology 2003; 125: 1808–1817., , , , , , et al.
- 10Synergistic inhibition of intracellular hepatitis C virus replication by combination of ribavirin and interferon-alpha. J Infect Dis 2004; 189: 1129–1139., , , , , , et al.
- 11Inhibition of intracellular hepatitis C virus replication by synthetic and vector-derived small interfering RNAs. EMBO Rep 2003; 4: 602–608., , , , , , et al.
- 12Production of infectious hepatitis C virus in tissue culture from a cloned viral genome. Nat Med 2005; 11: 791–796., , , , , , et al.
- 13Development of plaque assays for hepatitis C virus and isolation of mutants with enhanced cytopathogenicity and replication capacity. Virology 2008; 371: 71–85., , , , , , et al.
- 14Hepatitis C virus non-structural protein NS3 interacts with LMP7, a component of the immunoproteasome, and affects its proteasome activity. Biochem J 2004; 384: 401–409., , , , .
- 15Hepatitis C virus NS5A protein interacts with 2',5'-oligoadenylate synthetase and inhibits antiviral activity of IFN in an IFN sensitivity-determining region-independent manner. J Gen Virol 2004; 85: 959–969., , , , , , et al.
- 16How guanylate-binding proteins achieve assembly-stimulated processive cleavage of GTP to GMP. Nature 2006; 440: 101–104., , , , .
- 17Crystal structure of the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase from hepatitis C virus reveals a fully encircled active site. Nat Struct Biol 1999; 6: 937–943., , , , , .
- 18Golgi targeting of human guanylate-binding protein-1 requires nucleotide binding, isoprenylation, and an IFN-gamma-inducible cofactor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2005; 102: 8680–8685., , .
- 19Antiapoptotic and oncogenic potentials of hepatitis C virus are linked to interferon resistance by viral repression of the PKR protein kinase. J Virol 1999; 73: 6506–6516., , , , .
- 20To interfere and to anti-intefere: the interplay between hepatitis C virus and interferon. Viral Immunol 2002; 15: 95–119., .
- 21How cells respond to interferons. Annu Rev Biochem 1998; 67: 227–264., , , , .
- 22Structure of human guanylate-binding protein 1 representing a unique class of GTP-binding proteins. Nature 2000; 403: 567–571., , , , .
- 23IFN-inducible GTPases and immunity to intracellular pathogens. Trends Immunol 2004; 25: 601–609..
- 24Interferon-induced mx proteins: dynamin-like GTPases with antiviral activity. Traffic 2002; 3: 710–717., .
- 25A giant GTPase, very large inducible GTPase-1, is inducible by IFNs. J Immunol 2003; 171: 1255–1265., , , , .
- 26Two families of GTPases dominate the complex cellular response to IFN-gamma. J Immunol 1998; 161: 6715–6723., , , , , , et al.
- 27Murine GBP-2: a new IFN-gamma-induced member of the GBP family of GTPases isolated from macrophages. J Interferon Cytokine Res 1998; 18: 977–985., , , , , , et al.
- 28Cloning, expression, and characterization of a novel guanylate-binding protein, GBP3 in murine erythroid progenitor cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1998; 1384: 373–386., , , , .
- 29Murine GBP-5, a new member of the murine guanylate-binding protein family, is coordinately regulated with other GBPs in vivo and in vitro. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2002; 22: 899–909., , , , .
- 30Interferon-induced guanylate binding protein-1 (GBP-1) mediates an antiviral effect against vesicular stomatitis virus and encephalomyocarditis virus. Virology 1999; 256: 8–14., , , , .
- 31The interferon-induced 67-kDa guanylate-binding protein (hGBP1) is a GTPase that converts GTP to GMP. J Biol Chem 1994; 269: 11299–11305., .
- 32Nucleotide-binding characteristics of human guanylate-binding protein 1 (hGBP1) and identification of the third GTP-binding motif. J Mol Biol 1999; 292: 321–332., , , , .
- 33GTPase properties of the interferon-induced human guanylate-binding protein 2. FEBS Lett 1996; 390: 69–72., , , .
- 34Identification of residues in the human guanylate-binding protein 1 critical for nucleotide binding and cooperative GTP hydrolysis. J Mol Biol 2004; 344: 257–269., , , , , .
- 35Differential roles of MDA5 and RIG-I helicases in the recognition of RNA viruses. Nature 2006; 441: 101–105., , , , , , et al.
- 36The Ebola virus VP35 protein inhibits activation of interferon regulatory factor 3. J Virol 2003; 77: 7945–7956., , , , , , et al.
- 37Noncytopathic bovine viral diarrhea virus inhibits double-stranded RNA-induced apoptosis and interferon synthesis. J Virol 2001; 75: 4692–4698., .
- 38Activation of interferon regulatory factor 3 is inhibited by the influenza A virus NS1 protein. J Virol 2000; 74: 7989–7996., , , , , , et al.
- 39Regulation of interferon regulatory factor-3 by the hepatitis C virus serine protease. Science 2003; 300: 1145–1148., , , , , , et al.
- 40Cardif is an adaptor protein in the RIG-I antiviral pathway and is targeted by hepatitis C virus. Nature 2005; 437: 1167–1172., , , , , , et al.
- 41Hepatitis C virus non-structural proteins responsible for suppression of the RIG-I/Cardif-induced interferon response. J Gen Virol 2007; 88: 3323–3333., , , , , , et al.