Variability in the upper limit of normal for serum alanine aminotransferase levels: A statewide study†
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1957–1962, December 2009
How to Cite
Dutta, A., Saha, C., Johnson, C. S. and Chalasani, N. (2009), Variability in the upper limit of normal for serum alanine aminotransferase levels: A statewide study. Hepatology, 50: 1957–1962. doi: 10.1002/hep.23200
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 12 FEB 2009
- Public Health Service grant. Grant Number: K24DK069290
- 1Diagnosis and monitoring of hepatic injury. I. Performance characteristics of laboratory tests. Clin Chem 2000; 46: 2027–2049., , , , , .
- 2Normal serum aminotransferase concentration and risk of mortality from liver disease: prospective cohort study. BMJ 2004; 328: 983, , , , , .
- 3Serum aminotransferase activity and risk of mortality in a U. S. community population. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47; 880–887., , , , .
- 4Elevated serum alanine aminotransferase activity and calculated risk of coronary artery disease in the United States. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 43: 1145–1151., , , .
- 5Public Policy Committee of the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease. Serum activity of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) as an indicator of health and disease. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 1363–1373., , , ;
- 6Defining, Establishing, and Verifying Reference Intervals in the Clinical Laboratory; Approved Guideline—Third Edition. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute C28–A3, volume 28(30), 2008., , , , , , et al.
- 7Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis Clinical Research Network. Influence of local reference populations on upper limits of normal for serum alanine aminotransferase levels. Arch Intern Med 2008; 24: 663–666., , ,