Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1738–1749, December 2009
How to Cite
Goodman, Z. D., Stoddard, A. M., Bonkovsky, H. L., Fontana, R. J., Ghany, M. G., Morgan, T. R., Wright, E. C., Brunt, E. M., Kleiner, D. E., Shiffman, M. L., Everson, G. T., Lindsay, K. L., Dienstag, J. L., Morishima, C. and HALT-C Trial Group (2009), Fibrosis progression in chronic hepatitis C: Morphometric image analysis in the HALT-C trial. Hepatology, 50: 1738–1749. doi: 10.1002/hep.23211
The opinions and assertions expressed in this study are the private views of the authors and do not represent the views of the National Center for Research Resources, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of the Army, or the Department of Defense.
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Goodman received grants from Schering-Plough, Novartis, and Pharmasset. Dr. Bonkovskyi is a consultant for and advises Boehringer-Ingelheim and Novartis. He also advises and is on the speakers' bureau of Lunbeck Pharma. He received grants from Hoffmann-LaRoche, Merck, and Vertex. Dr. Fontana is on the speakers' bureau of Roche. Dr. Lindsay received grants from Schering-Plough, Valeant, Vertex, and Wyeth. She is also a consultant for and advises Bristol-Myers Squibb, Clinical Care Options, Kendle International, King, Peregrine, Roche Diagnostics, Valeant, Zymogenetics. She received grants from, is a consultant for, and advises, Hoffmann-LaRoche, Human Genome Sciences, and Idenix Pharmaceuticals. Dr. Morgan is a consultant for, is on the speakers' bureau of, and received grants from Roche. He advises and received grants from Vertex. He received grants from Schering-Plough and March. Dr. Shiffman advises and received grants from Biolex, Conatus, Human Genome Sciences, Romark, Valeant, Vertex, and Zymogenetics. He advises Bristol-Myers Squibb, Anadys and Novartis. He received grants from GlaxoSmithKline, Globeimmune, Idenix, Johnson and Johnson, and Wyeth. He is a consultant for, advises, is on the speakers' bureau of, and received grants from Roche. He also advises, is on the speakers' bureau of, and received grants from Schering-Plough. Dr. Stoddard owns stock in Elan Corp., Johnson and Johnson, Stryker, Proctor and Gamble, and Bristol-Myers Squibb.
Additional support was provided by Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc., through a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement with the National Institutes of Health. (See Appendix for contract and grant details.)
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2009
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- National Cancer Institute
- National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities
- General Clinical Research Center
- Clinical and Translational Science Center grants from the National Center for Research Resources
- National Institutes of Health
- 1Favorable prognosis of chronic hepatitis C after interferon therapy by long-term cohort study. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 38: 493–502., , , .
- 2Sustained virological response to interferon-alpha is associated with improved outcome in HCV-related cirrhosis: a retrospective study. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 579–587., , , , , , et al.
- 3Peg-interferon alone or combined with ribavirin in HCV cirrhosis with portal hypertension: a randomized controlled trial. J Hepatol 2007; 47: 484–491., , , , , , et al.
- 4The French METAVIR Cooperative Study Group. Intraobserver and interobserver variations in liver biopsy interpretation in patients with chronic hepatitis C. HEPATOLOGY 1994; 20: 15–20.
- 5Histological grading and staging of chronic hepatitis. J Hepatol 1995; 22: 696–699., , , , , , et al.
- 6An assessment of digital image analysis to measure fibrosis in liver biopsy specimens of patients with chronic hepatitis C. Am J Clin Pathol 2000; 114: 712–718., , , , , , et al.
- 7Progression of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C: evaluation by morphometric image analysis. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 886–894., , , .
- 8Sampling variability of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 38: 1449–1457., , .
- 9Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multi-center phase II dose-ranging study to assess the antifibrotic activity of farglitazar in chronic hepatitis C infection. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 48( Suppl): 1139–1140., , , , , , et al.
- 10Prolonged therapy of advanced chronic hepatitis C with low dose peginterferon. New Engl J Med 2008; 359: 2429–2441., , , , , , et al.
- 11Evolution of the HALT-C Trial: pegylated interferon as maintenance therapy for chronic hepatitis C in previous interferon nonresponders. Control Clin Trials 2004; 25: 472–492., , , , , , et al.
- 12Development and validation of a lifetime alcohol consumption assessment procedure. Toronto, Canada: Addiction Research Foundation, 1982..
- 13HALT-C Trial Group. Suppression of serum HCV RNA levels during maintenance peginterferon (PEGIFN) alfa-2a therapy and clinical outcomes in the HALT-C Trial. J Hepatol 2008; 48( Suppl 2): S62., , , , , , et al.;
- 14Liver biopsy in cirrhotic patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 789–793., , , .
- 15Impact of liver biopsy size on histological evaluation of chronic viral hepatitis: the smaller the sample, the milder the disease. J Hepatol 2003; 39: 239–244., , , .