See Article on Page 1094.
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 1004–1006, October 2009
How to Cite
Vos, M. B. and McClain, C. J. (2009), Fructose takes a toll. Hepatology, 50: 1004–1006. doi: 10.1002/hep.23212
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 28 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- 1Dietary fructose: implications for dysregulation of energy homeostasis and lipid/carbohydrate metabolism. Nutr Rev 2005; 63: 133–157..
- 2Dietary fructose consumption among US children and adults: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Medscape J Med 2008; 10: 160., , , , .
- 3Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in humans is associated with increased plasma endotoxin and plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 concentrations and with fructose intake. J Nutr 2008; 138: 1452–1455., , , , , , et al.
- 4Fructose consumption as a risk factor for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Hepatol 2008; 48: 993–999., , , , , , et al.
- 5Toll-like receptor 4 is involved in the development of fructose-induced hepatic steatosis in mice. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 50: 1094–1104., , , , , .
- 6Ability of the normal human small intestine to absorb fructose: evaluation by breath testing. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007; 5: 959–963., , , .
- 7Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans. J Clin Invest 2009; 119: 1322–1334., , , , , , et al.
- 8A 4-wk high-fructose diet alters lipid metabolism without affecting insulin sensitivity or ectopic lipids in healthy humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2006; 84: 1374–1379., , , , , , et al.
- 9Fructose and oxidized low-density lipoprotein in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a pilot study. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009; 163: 674–675., , , , , , et al.
- 10Alcohol, intestinal bacterial growth, intestinal permeability to endotoxin, and medical consequences: summary of a symposium. Alcohol 2008; 42: 349–361., , , , , , et al.
- 11Probiotics restore bowel flora and improve liver enzymes in human alcohol-induced liver injury: a pilot study. Alcohol 2008; 42: 675–682., , , , , , et al.
- 12Toll-like receptor 4 is involved in the mechanism of early alcohol-induced liver injury in mice. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34: 101–108., , , , .
- 13The role of the gut microbiota in energy metabolism and metabolic disease. Curr Pharm Des 2009; 15: 1546–1558., .
- 14Metabolic endotoxemia initiates obesity and insulin resistance. Diabetes 2007; 56: 1761–1772., , , , , , et al.
- 15Chylomicrons promote intestinal absorption of lipopolysaccharides. J Lipid Res 2009; 50: 90–97., , , , .
- 16Influence of neomycin and ingested endotoxin in the pathogenesis of choline deficiency cirrhosis in the adult rat. J Exp Med 1964; 119: 633–642., , .
- 17TLR4 links innate immunity and fatty acid-induced insulin resistance J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 3015–3025., , , , , .
- 18Bacterial endotoxin stimulates adipose lipolysis via toll-like receptor 4 and extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway. J Biol Chem 2009; 284: 5915–5926., , , , , .
- 19HMGB1: endogenous danger signaling. Mol Med 2008; 14: 476–484., , , , .
- 20Saturated fatty acids produce an inflammatory response predominantly through the activation of TLR4 signaling in hypothalamus: implications for the pathogenesis of obesity. J Neurosci 2009; 29: 359–370., , , , , , et al.
- 21TRIF and IRF-3 binding to the TNF promoter results in macrophase TNF dysregulation and steatosis induced by chronic ethanol. J Immunol 2008; 181: 3049–3056., , , , , , et al.