Public health impact of antiviral therapy for hepatitis C in the United States†
Version of Record online: 10 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1750–1755, December 2009
How to Cite
Volk, M. L., Tocco, R., Saini, S. and Lok, A. S.F. (2009), Public health impact of antiviral therapy for hepatitis C in the United States. Hepatology, 50: 1750–1755. doi: 10.1002/hep.23220
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 10 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAY 2009
- Greenview Foundation
- American Gastroenterological Association
- 1Changing trends in hepatitis C-related mortality in the United States, 1995–2004. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 1128–1135., , , , .
- 2Liver and intestine transplantation in the United States, 1997–2006. Am J Transplant 2008; 8: 958–976., , , , , .
- 3Hepatitis C infection and the increasing incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma: a population-based study. Gastroenterology 2004; 127: 1372–1380., , , , .
- 4Impact of hepatitis C on health related quality of life: a systematic review and quantitative assessment. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 41: 790–800., , , , , .
- 5Projecting future complications of chronic hepatitis C in the United States. Liver Transpl 2003; 9: 331–338., , , .
- 6Estimating future hepatitis C morbidity, mortality, and costs in the United States. Am J Public Health 2000; 90: 1562–1569., , , .
- 7Interferon alfa with or without ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C: systematic review of randomised trials. BMJ 2001; 323: 1151–1155., , .
- 8Cochrane systematic review: pegylated interferon plus ribavirin vs. interferon plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007; 25: 1153–1162., , , , .
- 9Interferon treatment improves survival in chronic hepatitis C patients showing biochemical as well as virological responses by preventing liver-related death. J Viral Hepat 2004; 11: 148–156., , , , , , et al.
- 10Sustained virologic response and clinical outcomes in patients with chronic hepatitis C and advanced fibrosis. Ann Intern Med 2007; 147: 677–684., , , , , , et al.
- 11Interferon therapy prolonged life expectancy among chronic hepatitis C patients. Gastroenterology 2002; 123: 483–491., , , , , , et al.
- 12High rates of uninsured among HCV-positive individuals. J Clin Gastroenterol 2005; 39: 826–830., , , , , .
- 13Regular sources of medical care among persons with severe mental illness at risk of hepatitis C infection. Psychiatr Serv 2003; 54: 854–859., , , , , , et al.
- 14Management of hepatitis C patients by primary care physicians in the USA: results of a national survey. J Viral Hepat 2001; 8: 377–383., , .
- 15Identification and management of hepatitis C patients in primary care clinics. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 639–644., , , .
- 16A balancing view: we cannot do it alone. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 1841–1843..
- 17Surprisingly small effect of antiviral treatment in patients with hepatitis C. Ann Intern Med 2002; 136: 288–292., , , , , .
- 18Predictors of treatment in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection — role of patient versus nonpatient factors. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 1741–1749., , , , , , et al.
- 19Health care, treatment patterns and cost of services for patients infected with chronic hepatitis C virus in a large insured New England population. J Viral Hepat 2000; 7: 361–367., , .
- 20Wolters Kluwer Weekly Prescription Data; February 27, 2009. Oppenheimer Equity Research Industry Update: Healthcare/Specialty Pharmaceuticals 2009; March 9, 2009., .
- 21The prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in the United States, 1999 through 2002. Ann Intern Med 2006; 144: 705–714., , , , , .
- 22Surveillance for acute viral hepatitis — United States, 2007. MMWR Surveill Summ 2009; 58: 1–27., , .
- 23Estimating the future health burden of chronic hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus infections in the United States. J Viral Hepat 2007; 14: 107–115., , , .
- 24United States life tables, 2004. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2007; 56: 1–39..
- 25Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 49: 1335–1374., , , .
- 26Sample design: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Vital Health Stat 2 1992: 1–35., , , , .
- 27Market uptake of new antiviral drugs for the treatment of hepatitis C. J Hepatol 2008; 49: 528–536., , , , , , et al.
- 28A step forward in therapy for hepatitis C. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1899–1901..
- 29Primary care: is there enough time for prevention? Am J Public Health 2003; 93: 635–641., , , , .
- 30U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for Hepatitis C: Recommendation Statement. Rockville, MD; 2004.
- 31Natural history of hepatitis C virus carriers with persistently normal aminotransferase levels. Gastroenterology 2000; 118: 760–764., , , , , , et al.