These authors contributed equally to this work.
Cyclin-dependent kinase 1 plays a critical role in DNA replication control during rat liver regeneration†
Article first published online: 10 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1946–1956, December 2009
How to Cite
Garnier, D., Loyer, P., Ribault, C., Guguen-Guillouzo, C. and Corlu, A. (2009), Cyclin-dependent kinase 1 plays a critical role in DNA replication control during rat liver regeneration. Hepatology, 50: 1946–1956. doi: 10.1002/hep.23225
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 10 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUN 2009
- Doctoral fellowship from ANRT and Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale
- Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
- Ministère de l'Education Nationale de la Recherche et des Technologies. Grant Number: ACI, Jeune chercheur no. 04 5 191
- GIS de thérapie cellulaire de Rennes
- EEC FP7 program (proposal 223317 LIV-ES)
- 1Mammalian cyclin-dependent kinases. Trends Biochem Sci 2005; 30: 630–641., .
- 2Cyclin-dependent kinases: engines, clocks, and microprocessors. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 1997; 13: 261–291..
- 3G1 phase progression: cycling on cue. Cell 1994; 79: 551–555..
- 4Cyclin-dependent kinase 2 (Cdk2) is required for centrosome duplication in mammalian cells. Curr Biol 1999; 9: 429–432., , .
- 5Cdk1: the dominant sibling of Cdk2. Nat Cell Biol 2005; 7: 779–781., .
- 6Proliferation of cancer cells despite CDK2 inhibition. Cancer Cell 2003; 3: 233–245., .
- 7Cyclin-dependent kinase 2 is essential for meiosis but not for mitotic cell division in mice. Nat Genet 2003; 35: 25–31., , , , , , et al.
- 8Cdk2 knockout mice are viable. Curr Biol 2003; 13: 1775–1785., , , , .
- 9Rb/Cdk2/Cdk4 triple mutant mice elicit an alternative mechanism for regulation of the G1/S transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2009; 106: 486–491., , , , .
- 10Cell cycle, CDKs and cancer: a changing paradigm. Nat Rev Cancer 2009; 9: 153–166., .
- 11Cdk1 is sufficient to drive the mammalian cell cycle. Nature 2007; 448: 811–815., , , , , , et al.
- 12Cdc2-cyclin E complexes regulate the G1/S phase transition. Nat Cell Biol 2005; 7: 831–836., , .
- 13An essential role for Cdk1 in S phase control is revealed via chemical genetics in vertebrate cells. J Cell Biol 2007; 178: 257–268., , , , , , et al.
- 14Cell cycle sibling rivalry: Cdc2 vs. Cdk2. Cell Cycle 2005; 4: 1491–1494., .
- 15Cdk1 and Cdk2 activity levels determine the efficiency of replication origin firing in Xenopus. EMBO J 2008; 27: 758–769., , , , , , et al.
- 16Liver regeneration. Science 1997; 276: 60–66., .
- 17Growth factor dependence of progression through G1 and S phases of adult rat hepatocytes in vitro. Evidence of a mitogen restriction point in mid-late G1. J Biol Chem 1996; 271: 11484–11492., , , , , .
- 18Involvement of p21 and p27 in the regulation of CDK activity and cell cycle progression in the regenerating liver. Oncogene 1998; 16: 2141–2150., , , , , .
- 19Activation of cdk4 and cdk2 during rat liver regeneration is associated with intranuclear rearrangements of cyclin-cdk complexes. HEPATOLOGY 1999; 29: 385–395., , , , .
- 20Genetic substitution of Cdk1 by Cdk2 leads to embryonic lethality and loss of meiotic function of Cdk2. Development 2008; 135: 3389–3400., , , , , .
- 21p21 inhibits Cdk1 in the absence of Cdk2 to maintain the G1/S phase DNA damage checkpoint. Mol Biol Cell 2008; 19: 65–77., , .
- 22Expression and activation of cdks (1 and 2) and cyclins in the cell cycle progression during liver regeneration. J Biol Chem 1994; 269: 2491–2500., , , , , .
- 23Cyclin A-CDK activity during G1 phase impairs MCM chromatin loading and inhibits DNA synthesis in mammalian cells. Cell Cycle 2008; 7: 2179–2188., , .
- 24Liver regeneration. J Hepatol 2000; 32: 19–31..
- 25Antiproliferative and apoptotic effects of O-Trensox, a new synthetic iron chelator, on differentiated human hepatoma cell lines. Carcinogenesis 2000; 21: 943–951., , , , , , et al.
- 26Cyclin A-Cdk1 regulates the origin firing program in mammalian cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2009; 106: 3184–3189., , , , , , et al.
- 27Unmasking the S-phase-promoting potential of cyclin B1. Science 2003; 300: 987–990., , .
- 28The differential localization of human cyclins A and B is due to a cytoplasmic retention signal in cyclin B. EMBO J 1994; 13: 3772–3781., .
- 29Cyclin-dependent kinases and cell-cycle transitions: does one fit all? Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2008; 9: 910–916., , .
- 30Rapid cycling and precocious termination of G1 phase in cells expressing CDK1AF. Mol Biol Cell 2008; 19: 3426–3441., ,
- 31Liver cell polyploidization: a pivotal role for binuclear hepatocytes. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 19095–19101., , , , , .
- 32Regulation and role of p21 and p27 cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors during hepatocyte differentiation and growth. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2003; 285: G115–127., , , , .
- 33Cdc2 gene expression at the G1 to S transition in human T lymphocytes. Science 1990; 250: 805–808., , , , .
- 34TNFalpha-mediated extracellular matrix remodeling is required for multiple division cycles in rat hepatocytes. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 41: 478–486., , , , , , et al.