Steatohepatitis/Metabolic Liver Disease
Article first published online: 10 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1827–1838, December 2009
How to Cite
Puri, P., Wiest, M. M., Cheung, O., Mirshahi, F., Sargeant, C., Min, H.-K., Contos, M. J., Sterling, R. K., Fuchs, M., Zhou, H., Watkins, S. M. and Sanyal, A. J. (2009), The plasma lipidomic signature of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology, 50: 1827–1838. doi: 10.1002/hep.23229
Presented in part at the annual meeting of the American Association for Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) in Boston, 2007.
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Wiest is a consultant for and Dr. Watkins owns stock in Lipomics.
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 10 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 16 APR 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: K24 DK 02755-06, T32 DK 07150-31, RO1 56331-05
- 1Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in an urban population in the United States: impact of ethnicity. HEPATOLOGY 2004; 40: 1387–1395., , , , , , et al.
- 2The clinicopathologic spectrum and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Adv Anat Pathol 2002; 9: 37–51., .
- 3Long-term follow-up of patients with NAFLD and elevated liver enzymes. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 44: 865–873., , , , , , et al.
- 4Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: Mayo Clinic experiences with a hitherto unnamed disease. Mayo Clin Proc 1980; 55: 434–438., , , .
- 5Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: association of insulin resistance and mitochondrial abnormalities. Gastroenterology 2001; 120: 1183–1192., , , , , , et al.
- 6NASH and insulin resistance: Insulin hypersecretion and specific association with the insulin resistance syndrome. HEPATOLOGY 2002; 35: 373–379., , , , , , et al.
- 7Insulin signalling and the regulation of glucose and lipid metabolism. Nature 2001; 414: 799–806., .
- 8Free fatty acids promote hepatic lipotoxicity by stimulating TNF-alpha expression via a lysosomal pathway. HEPATOLOGY 2004; 40: 185–194., , , , , , et al.
- 9Free fatty acids induce JNK-dependent hepatocyte lipoapoptosis. J Biol Chem 2006; 281: 12093–12101., , , .
- 10The lysosomal-mitochondrial axis in free fatty acid-induced hepatic lipotoxicity. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 1495–1503., , , , .
- 11Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: summary of an AASLD Single Topic Conference. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 37: 1202–1219., .
- 12A lipidomic analysis of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 1081–1090., , , , , , et al.
- 13Increase in long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid n-6/n-3 ratio in relation to hepatic steatosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Sci (Lond) 2004; 106: 635–643., , , , , , et al.
- 14Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 2001; 285: 2486–2497.
- 15Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 41: 1313–1321., , , , , , et al.
- 16Lipid metabolome-wide effects of the PPARgamma agonist rosiglitazone. J Lipid Res 2002; 43: 1809–1817., , , , .
- 17A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 1957; 226: 497–509., , .
- 18Unique phospholipid metabolism in mouse heart in response to dietary docosahexaenoic or alpha-linolenic acids. Lipids 2001; 36: 247–254., , , , , , et al.
- 19Quantification in the subnanomolar range of phospholipids and neutral lipids by monodimensional thin-layer chromatography and image analysis. J Lipid Res 1997; 38: 1482–1489., .
- 20Thin-Layer Chromatography: A Laboratory Handbook. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1969: 11–25..
- 21Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturases and role in metabolism. Prog Lipid Res 2004; 43: 91–104., .
- 22Current clinical applications of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Nutr Clin Pract 2006; 21: 323–341., , , , , .
- 23Regulation of the biosynthesis of 4,7,10,13,16,19-docosahexaenoic acid. J Biol Chem 1996; 271: 16020–16025., , .
- 24Identification of the peroxisomal beta-oxidation enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of docosahexaenoic acid. J Lipid Res 2001; 42: 1987–1995., , , , , , et al.
- 25Cloning and characterization of the human stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene promoter: transcriptional activation by sterol regulatory element binding protein and repression by polyunsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001; 284: 1194–1198., , .
- 26Identification of a mammalian long chain fatty acyl elongase regulated by sterol regulatory element-binding proteins. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 45358–45366., , , , .
- 27SREBPs: activators of the complete program of cholesterol and fatty acid synthesis in the liver. J Clin Invest 2002; 109: 1125–1131., , .
- 28Identification of a lipokine, a lipid hormone linking adipose tissue to systemic metabolism. Cell 2008; 134: 933–944., , , , , .
- 29Inhibiting triglyceride synthesis improves hepatic steatosis but exacerbates liver damage and fibrosis in obese mice with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 1366–1374., , , , , , et al.
- 30The ratio of trienoic: tetraenoic acids in tissue lipids as a measure of essential fatty acid requirement. J Nutr 1960; 70: 405–410..
- 31Relation of nonalcoholic hepatic steatosis to early carotid atherosclerosis in healthy men: role of visceral fat accumulation. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 2498–2500., , , , , .
- 32Endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular risk profile in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 42: 473–480., , , , , , et al.
- 33Cardiovascular risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Circulation 2008; 118: 277–283., , , , .
- 34Alterations of fatty acid metabolism and membrane fluidity in peroxisome-defective mutant ZP102 cells. Lipids 2004; 39: 43–50., , , , .