Liver Failure/Cirrhosis/Portal Hypertension
Branched chain amino acids enhance the maturation and function of myeloid dendritic cells ex vivo in patients with advanced cirrhosis†
Version of Record online: 25 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1936–1945, December 2009
How to Cite
Kakazu, E., Ueno, Y., Kondo, Y., Fukushima, K., Shiina, M., Inoue, J., Tamai, K., Ninomiya, M. and Shimosegawa, T. (2009), Branched chain amino acids enhance the maturation and function of myeloid dendritic cells ex vivo in patients with advanced cirrhosis. Hepatology, 50: 1936–1945. doi: 10.1002/hep.23248
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 19 FEB 2009
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: 21790643
- Health and Labour Sciences Research Grants for the Research on Measures for Intractable Diseases (from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan)
- 1Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 27: 669–674; quiz 675–676., .
- 2Plasma ratio of valine, leucine and isoleucine to phenylalanine and tyrosine in liver disease. Gut 1978; 19: 1068–1073., , .
- 3Nutritional supplementation with branched-chain amino acids in advanced cirrhosis: a double-blind, randomized trial. Gastroenterology 2003; 124: 1792–1801., , , , , , et al.
- 4BCAA-enriched snack improves nutritional state of cirrhosis. Nutrition 2007; 23: 113–20., , , , , , et al.
- 5Inhibitory effect of branched-chain amino acid granules on progression of compensated liver cirrhosis due to hepatitis C virus. J Gastroenterol 2008; 43: 63–70., , , , , , et al.
- 6Overweight and obesity increase the risk for liver cancer in patients with liver cirrhosis and long-term oral supplementation with branched-chain amino acid granules inhibits liver carcinogenesis in heavier patients with liver cirrhosis. Hepatol Res 2006; 35: 204–214., , , , , , et al.
- 7A mammalian protein targeted by G1-arresting rapamycin-receptor complex. Nature 1994; 369: 756–758., , , , , , et al.
- 8Mammalian TOR: a homeostatic ATP sensor. Science 2001; 294: 1102–1105., , , , , .
- 9Raptor, a binding partner of target of rapamycin (TOR), mediates TOR action. Cell 2002; 110: 177–189., , , , , , et al.
- 10Bidirectional modulation of insulin action by amino acids. J Clin Invest 1998; 101: 1519–1529., , , , .
- 11Leucine and insulin activate p70 S6 kinase through different pathways in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001; 281: E466–E471., , , .
- 12Branched-chain amino acids promote albumin synthesis in rat primary hepatocytes through the mTOR signal transduction system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2003; 303: 59–64., , , .
- 13Role of leucine in regulating food intake. Science 2006; 313: 1236–1238; author reply 1236–1238., , , .
- 14Branched-chain amino acids and immunity. J Nutr 2006; 136: 288S–293S..
- 15Extracellular branched-chain amino acids, especially valine, regulate maturation and function of monocyte-derived dendritic cells. J Immunol 2007; 179: 7137–7146., , , .
- 16Dendritic cells and the control of immunity. Nature 1998; 392: 245–252., .
- 17Human blood dendritic cells selectively express CD83, a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily. J Immunol 1995; 154: 3821–3835., .
- 18In vivo neutrophil dysfunction in cirrhotic patients with advanced liver disease. J Infect Dis 2000; 182: 526–533., , , .
- 19Neutrophil dysfunction in alcoholic hepatitis superimposed on cirrhosis is reversible and predicts the outcome. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 831–840., , , , , , et al.
- 20Impaired dendritic cell maturation in patients with chronic, but not resolved, hepatitis C virus infection. Blood 2001; 97: 3171–3176., , .
- 21Dendritic cells with immature phenotype and defective function in the peripheral blood from patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 1999; 31: 323–331., , , , .
- 22A model to predict survival in patients with end-stage liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 33: 464–470., , , , , , et al.
- 23Structure of the human immune interferon gene. Nature 1982; 298: 859–863., .
- 24The expanding universe of T-cell subsets: Th1, Th2 and more. Immunol Today 1996; 17: 138–146., .
- 25Cytokines induce the development of functionally heterogeneous T helper cell subsets. Immunity 1998; 8: 275–283..
- 26Longitudinal monocyte human leukocyte antigen-DR expression is a prognostic marker in critically ill patients with decompensated liver cirrhosis. Liver Int 2009; 29: 536–543., , , , , , et al.
- 27CATs and HATs: the SLC7 family of amino acid transporters. Pflugers Arch 2004; 447: 532–542., , , , , .
- 28PI3K-mediated negative feedback regulation of IL-12 production in DCs. Nat Immunol 2002; 3: 875–881., , , , , , et al.
- 29Mammalian target of rapamycin and glycogen synthase kinase 3 differentially regulate lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-12 production in dendritic cells. Blood 2008; 112: 635–643., , , , , , et al.
- 30The TSC-mTOR signaling pathway regulates the innate inflammatory response. Immunity 2008; 29: 565–577., , , , , , et al.
- 31Branched-chain amino acid enriched supplements as therapy for liver disease. J Nutr 2006; 136: 295S–298S..