Liver Injury and Regeneration
Role of acid sphingomyelinase of Kupffer cells in cholestatic liver injury in mice†
Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 237–245, January 2010
How to Cite
Osawa, Y., Seki, E., Adachi, M., Suetsugu, A., Ito, H., Moriwaki, H., Seishima, M. and Nagaki, M. (2010), Role of acid sphingomyelinase of Kupffer cells in cholestatic liver injury in mice. Hepatology, 51: 237–245. doi: 10.1002/hep.23262
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 31 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2009
- Grant-in-Aid from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan. Grant Numbers: 19790478, 21790657
- Liver Scholar Award from the AASLD/ALF
- 1Mannose-conjugated alendronate selectively depletes Kupffer cells and inhibits endotoxemic shock in the mice. Hepatol Res 2006; 36: 3–10., , , , , .
- 2Kupffer cell-expressed membrane-bound TNF mediates melphalan hepatotoxicity via activation of both TNF receptors. J Immunol 2005; 175: 4076–4083., , , , , , et al.
- 3Fumonisin B1 hepatotoxicity in mice is attenuated by depletion of Kupffer cells by gadolinium chloride. Toxicology 2005; 207: 137–147., , .
- 4Kupffer cell-depleted rats have a diminished acute-phase response following major liver resection. Shock 2004; 21: 561–565., , , , , , et al.
- 5Protective role of Kupffer cells in acetaminophen-induced hepatic injury in mice. Chem Res Toxicol 2002; 15: 1504–1513., , , , , , et al.
- 6Role of the Kupffer cell in mediating hepatic toxicity and carcinogenesis. Toxicol Sci 2007; 96: 2–15., , , , , .
- 7Inflammatory pathways in liver homeostasis and liver injury. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2009; 36: 4–12., , .
- 8Common pathogenic mechanism in development progression of liver injury caused by non-alcoholic or alcoholic steatohepatitis. J Toxicol Sci 2007; 32: 453–468., , .
- 9Kupffer cell engulfment of apoptotic bodies stimulates death ligand and cytokine expression. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 38: 1188–1198., , , , , , et al.
- 10Kupffer cells abrogate cholestatic liver injury in mice. Gastroenterology 2006; 130: 810–822., , , , , , et al.
- 11TLR4 enhances TGF-beta signaling and hepatic fibrosis. Nat Med 2007; 13: 1324–1332., , , , , , et al.
- 12Functions of ceramide in coordinating cellular responses to stress. Science 1996; 274: 1855–1859..
- 13Ceramide-enriched membrane domains. Biochim Biophys Acta 2005; 1746: 284–294., , .
- 14Acid sphingomyelinase inhibition suppresses lipopolysaccharide-mediated release of inflammatory cytokines from macrophages and protects against disease pathology in dextran sulphate sodium-induced colitis in mice. Immunology 2007; 122: 54–64., , , , , , et al.
- 15Analysis of the lung pathology and alveolar macrophage function in the acid sphingomyelinase—deficient mouse model of Niemann-Pick disease. Lab Invest 2001; 81: 987–999., , , .
- 16Severe impairment in early host defense against Listeria monocytogenes in mice deficient in acid sphingomyelinase. J Immunol 2003; 170: 2621–2628., , , .
- 17Defective TNF-alpha-mediated hepatocellular apoptosis and liver damage in acidic sphingomyelinase knockout mice. J Clin Invest 2003; 111: 197–208., , , , , , et al.
- 18Roles for C16-ceramide and sphingosine 1-phosphate in regulating hepatocyte apoptosis in response to tumor necrosis factor-alpha. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 27879–27887., , , , , .
- 19Systemic mediators induce fibrogenic effects in normal liver after partial bile duct ligation. Liver Int 2006; 26: 1138–1147., , , , , , et al.
- 20Roles of AKT and sphingosine kinase in the antiapoptotic effects of bile duct ligation in mouse liver. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 42: 1320–1328., , , .
- 21Expression of the NF-kappa B target gene X-ray-inducible immediate early response factor-1 short enhances TNF-alpha-induced hepatocyte apoptosis by inhibiting Akt activation. J Immunol 2003; 170: 4053–4060., , , , , , et al.
- 22“Let there be bile”—understanding hepatic injury in cholestasis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2006; 43(Suppl 1): S4–S9., , , .
- 23Bile acid-induced rat hepatocyte apoptosis is inhibited by antioxidants and blockers of the mitochondrial permeability transition. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 33: 616–626., , , , .
- 24Bile acid regulation of hepatic physiology: IV. Bile acids and death receptors. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2003; 284: G734–738., .
- 25Inflammation in response to hepatocellular apoptosis. HEPATOLOGY 2002; 35: 964–966..
- 26Fas enhances fibrogenesis in the bile duct ligated mouse: a link between apoptosis and fibrosis. Gastroenterology 2002; 123: 1323–1330., , , , , .
- 27Altered Kupffer cell function in biliary obstruction. Surgery 2005; 138: 236–245., , , , , , et al.
- 28Cytokines and cellular crosstalk involved in the activation of fat-storing cells. J Hepatol 1995; 22: 28–36..
- 29Liver fibrosis. J Clin Invest 2005; 115: 209–218., .
- 30Akt-mediated liver growth promotes induction of cyclin E through a novel translational mechanism and a p21-mediated cell cycle arrest. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 21244–21252., , , , , , et al.
- 31Hepatocyte growth factor gene therapy of liver cirrhosis in rats. Nat Med 1999; 5: 226–230., , , , , , et al.
- 32Liver regeneration in heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor transgenic mice after partial hepatectomy. Gastroenterology 2003; 124: 701–707., , , , , , et al.
- 33SMAD and p38 MAPK signaling pathways independently regulate alpha collagen(I) gene expression in unstimulated and transforming growth factor-beta-stimulated hepatic stellate cells. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 10055–10064., , , , .
- 34Modulation of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) signaling by endogenous sphingolipid mediators. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 9276–9282., , , , , , et al.