These authors contributed equally to this work.
Folding defects in P-type ATP 8B1 associated with hereditary cholestasis are ameliorated by 4-phenylbutyrate†
Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 286–296, January 2010
How to Cite
van der Velden, L. M., Stapelbroek, J. M., Krieger, E., van den Berghe, P. V. E., Berger, R., Verhulst, P. M., Holthuis, J. C. M., Houwen, R. H. J., Klomp, L. W. J. and van de Graaf, S. F. J. (2010), Folding defects in P-type ATP 8B1 associated with hereditary cholestasis are ameliorated by 4-phenylbutyrate. Hepatology, 51: 286–296. doi: 10.1002/hep.23268
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 30 DEC 2008
- Wilhelmina Children's Foundation
- Utrecht University
- NWO (VENI)
- Stichting BRIC, de leverziekte
- 1A gene encoding a P-type ATPase mutated in two forms of hereditary cholestasis. Nat Genet 1998; 18: 219–224., , , , , , et al.
- 2Update on progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2008; 46: 241–252., , .
- 3A missense mutation in FIC1 is associated with greenland familial cholestasis. HEPATOLOGY 2000; 32: 1337–1341., , , , , , et al.
- 4Cdc50p, a protein required for polarized growth, associates with the Drs2p P-type ATPase implicated in phospholipid translocation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell 2004; 15: 3418–3432., , , , , .
- 5ATP8B1 requires an accessory protein for endoplasmic reticulum exit and plasma membrane lipid flippase activity. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 268–278., , , , , , et al.
- 6Lipid traffic: floppy drives and a superhighway. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2005; 6: 209–220., .
- 7FIC1, the protein affected in two forms of hereditary cholestasis, is localized in the cholangiocyte and the canalicular membrane of the hepatocyte. J Hepatol 2001; 35: 436–443., , , , , , et al.
- 8Familial intrahepatic cholestasis 1: studies of localization and function. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34: 768–775., , , , , , et al.
- 9In vitro pharmacologic restoration of CFTR-mediated chloride transport with sodium 4-phenylbutyrate in cystic fibrosis epithelial cells containing delta F508-CFTR. J Clin Invest 1997; 100: 2457–2465., , .
- 10Chemical chaperones mediate increased secretion of mutant alpha 1-antitrypsin (alpha 1-AT) Z: A potential pharmacological strategy for prevention of liver injury and emphysema in alpha 1-AT deficiency. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97: 1796–1801., , .
- 11Characterization of mutations in ATP8B1 associated with hereditary cholestasis. HEPATOLOGY 2004; 40: 27–38., , , , , , et al.
- 12Two established in vitro cell lines from human mesenchymal tumours. Int J Cancer 1967; 2: 434–447., .
- 13Analysis of mutation in human cells by using an Epstein-Barr virus shuttle system. Mol Cell Biol 1987; 7: 379–387., , , , , .
- 14Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biol 2002; 3: RESEARCH0034., , , , , , .
- 15TRPV5 is internalized via clathrin-dependent endocytosis to enter a Ca2+-controlled recycling pathway. J Biol Chem 2008; 283: 4077–4086., , , , , .
- 16The recognition and retrotranslocation of misfolded proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum. Traffic 2008; 9: 861–870., .
- 17FIC1 and BSEP defects in Taiwanese patients with chronic intrahepatic cholestasis with low gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase levels. J Pediatr 2002; 140: 119–124., , , , , , et al.
- 18Reduced hepatic expression of farnesoid X receptor in hereditary cholestasis associated to mutation in ATP8B1. Hum Mol Genet 2004; 13: 2451–2460., , , , , , et al.
- 19ATP8B1 mutations in British cases with intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Gut 2005; 54: 829–834., , , , , , et al.
- 20Nasobiliary drainage induces long-lasting remission in benign recurrent intrahepatic cholestasis. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 43: 51–53., , , , , , et al.
- 21Partial external diversion of bile for the treatment of intractable pruritus associated with intrahepatic cholestasis. Gastroenterology 1988; 95: 130–136., .
- 224-phenylbutyrate enhances the cell surface expression and the transport capacity of wild-type and mutated bile salt export pumps. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 1506–1516., .
- 23A pilot clinical trial of oral sodium 4-phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl) in deltaF508-homozygous cystic fibrosis patients: partial restoration of nasal epithelial CFTR function. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157: 484–490., .