Dr. Chalasani has financial consulting agreements with several pharmaceutical companies but none pose a potential conflict.
Steatohepatitis/Metabolic Liver Disease
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 111–120, January 2010
How to Cite
Bell, L. N., Theodorakis, J. L., Vuppalanchi, R., Saxena, R., Bemis, K. G., Wang, M. and Chalasani, N. (2010), Serum proteomics and biomarker discovery across the spectrum of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology, 51: 111–120. doi: 10.1002/hep.23271
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Chalsani is a consultant for Advanced Life Sciences, Metabasis, Atherogenics, KaroBio, Lilly Pharma, Salix, Debiovision, Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer, Amylin, Axcan, Gilead, and Monarch LifeSciences.
Monarch LifeSciences is a proteomic service organization that represents an academic-government-private collaboration.
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAY 2009
- K24. Grant Number: DK072101
- Clinical Pharmacology Training Grant to Indiana University. Grant Number: T32 GM08425
- 1Defining nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: implications for epidemiologic studies. Gastroenterology 2003; 124: 248–250., .
- 2Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a spectrum of clinical and pathological severity. Gastroenterology 1999; 116: 1413–1419., , , , , .
- 3Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: an expanded clinical entity. Gastroenterology 1994; 107: 1103–1109., , , .
- 4The natural history of nonalcoholic fatty liver: a follow-up study. HEPATOLOGY 1995; 22: 1714–1719., , , , .
- 5The epidemiology and risk factors of NASH. In: Farrell GC, George J, Hall P, et al., eds. Fatty Liver Disease: NASH and Related Disorders. Oxford, UK: Blackwell; 2005: 23–37..
- 6Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: selected practical issues in their evaluation and management. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 49: 306–317., .
- 7Diagnostic evaluation of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 2006; 40: 34–38., .
- 8The utility of radiological imaging in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2002; 123: 745–750., , , , , , et al.
- 9Out of phase magnetic resonance imaging and liver applications. J Radiol 2005; 86: 993–997., , .
- 10Hyaluronic acid, an accurate serum marker for severe hepatic fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver Int 2005; 25: 779–786., , , , , .
- 11Serum endothelin-1 level in steatosis and NASH, and its relation with severity of liver fibrosis. Dig Dis Sci 2007; 52: 2622–2628., , , .
- 12The NAFLD fibrosis score: a noninvasive system that accurately identifies liver fibrosis in patients with NAFLD. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 846–853., , , , , , et al.
- 13Noninvasive markers of fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: validating the European liver fibrosis panel and exploring simple markers. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 455–460., , , , , , et al.
- 14Label-free mass spectrometry-based protein quantification technologies in proteomic analysis. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomics 2008; 7: 329–339., , , , .
- 15Hepatic cytochrome P450 2E1 activity in nondiabetic patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 37: 544–550., , , , , , et al.
- 16Metabolic and anthropometric evaluation of insulin resistance in non-diabetic patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 1849–1855., , , .
- 17Systemic levels of lipid peroxidation and its metabolic and dietary correlates in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 1497–1502., , .
- 18A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976; 72: 248–254..
- 19A simplified procedure for the reduction and alkylation of cysteine residues in proteins prior to proteolytic digestion and mass spectral analysis. Anal Biochem 2004; 333: 174–181., , , , .
- 20Comprehensive label-free method for the relative quantification of proteins from biological samples. J Proteome Res 2005; 4: 1442–1450., , , , .
- 21TANDEM: matching proteins with tandem mass spectra. Bioinformatics 2004; 20: 1466–1467., .
- 22An approach to correlate tandem mass spectral data of peptides with amino acid sequences in a protein database. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 1994; 5: 976–989., , .
- 23Estimating the statistical significance of peptide identifications from shotgun proteomics experiments. J Proteome Res 2007; 6: 1758–1767., , , , , .
- 24A comparison of normalization methods for high density oligonucleotide array data based on variance and bias. Bioinformatics 2003; 19: 185–193., , , .
- 25A genomic and proteomic study of the spectrum of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2005; 42: 665–674., , , , , , et al.
- 26Differential expression of lumican and fatty acid binding protein-1 — new insights into the histologic spectrum of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 49: 1375–1384., , , , , , et al.
- 27Mass spectrometry-based quantitative proteomic profiling. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomics 2005; 4: 27–38., .
- 28Detecting differential and correlated protein expression in label-free shotgun proteomics. J Proteome Res 2006; 5: 2909–2918., , , , , .
- 29Label-free protein quantification using LC-coupled ion trap or FT mass spectrometry: reproducibility, linearity, and application with complex proteomes. J Proteome Res 2006; 5: 1214–1223., , , , .
- 30Label-free quantitative proteomics using large peptide data sets generated by nanoflow liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry. Mol Cell Proteomics 2006; 5: 1338–1347., , , , , , et al.
- 31Serum retinol binding protein 4 contributes to insulin resistance in obesity and type 2 diabetes. Nature 2005; 436: 356–362., , , , , , et al.
- 32Retinol-binding protein 4 and insulin resistance in lean, obese, and diabetic subjects. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 2552–2263., , , , , , et al.
- 33Retinol-binding protein 4 in human obesity. Diabetes 2006; 55: 2805–2810., , , , , , et al.
- 34Serum retinol-binding protein 4 levels are elevated in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Endocrinol 2007; 68: 555–560., , , , , , et al.
- 35Retinol-binding protein 4: a promising circulating marker of liver damage in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 7: 575–579., , , , , , et al.
- 36Serum levels of acute phase proteins in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Turk J Gastroenterol 2003; 14: 12–17., , , , , .
- 37Proteomic analysis of HCV cirrhosis and HCV-induced HCC: identifying biomarkers for monitoring HCV-cirrhotic patients awaiting liver transplantation. Transplantation 2009; 87: 143–152., , , , , .
- 38A quantitative proteomic approach for identification of potential biomarkers in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Proteome Res 2008; 7: 4289–4298., , , , , , et al.
- 39Liver fibrosis: from the bench to clinical targets. Dig Liver Dis 2004; 36: 231–242., .
- 40Lipid metabolism in liver and selected tissues and in the whole body of ruminant animals. Prog Lipid Res 1979; 18: 117–164..
- 41Lipid parameters predicting liver function in patients with cirrhosis and after liver transplantation. Hepatogastroenterology 1998; 45: 2255–2260., , , , , , et al.
- 42Alcoholic liver disease. Lancet 1995; 345: 227–229..
- 43New multi protein patterns differentiate liver fibrosis stages and hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis C serum samples. World J Gastroenterol 2006; 12: 7604–7612., , , , , .
- 44The paraoxonases: role in human diseases and methodological difficulties in measurement. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 2009; 46: 83–106., , .
- 45Clinical aspects of fatty liver disease. Semin Liver Dis 2004; 24: 349–362., .