Activated monocytes in peritumoral stroma of hepatocellular carcinoma promote expansion of memory T helper 17 cells†
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 154–164, January 2010
How to Cite
Kuang, D.-M., Peng, C., Zhao, Q., Wu, Y., Chen, M.-S. and Zheng, L. (2010), Activated monocytes in peritumoral stroma of hepatocellular carcinoma promote expansion of memory T helper 17 cells. Hepatology, 51: 154–164. doi: 10.1002/hep.23291
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 12 APR 2009
- Outstanding Young Scientist Fund
- NSFC, China. Grant Numbers: 30425025, 30730086
- “973” Program. Grant Numbers: 2004CB518801, 2010CB529904
- Ministry of Health of P.R. China. Grant Number: 2008ZX10002-019
- 1Angiogenesis and hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 2004; 41: 864–880., .
- 2Friends or foes — bipolar effects of the tumor stroma in cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 839–849., .
- 3Tumor stroma and regulation of cancer development. Annu Rev Pathol 2006; 1: 119–150., .
- 4Prediction of venous metastases, recurrence, and prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma based on a unique immune response signature of the liver microenvironment. Cancer Cell 2006; 10: 99–111., , , , , , et al.
- 5Increased regulatory T cells correlate with CD8 T-cell impairment and poor survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 2328–2339., , , , , , et al.
- 6Cancer-related inflammation. Nature 2008; 454: 436–444., , , .
- 7Exploring the full spectrum of macrophage activation. Nat Rev Immunol 2008; 8: 958–969., .
- 8Tumor-derived hyaluronan induces formation of immunosuppressive macrophages through transient early activation of monocytes. Blood 2007; 110: 587–595., , , , , .
- 9Distinct role of macrophages in different tumor microenvironments. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 605–612., .
- 10High tumor-infiltrating macrophage density predicts poor prognosis in patients with primary hepatocellular carcinoma after resection. Hum Pathol 2009; 40: 381–389., , , , , , et al.
- 11Cutting edge: Th17 and regulatory T cell dynamics and the regulation by IL-2 in the tumor microenvironment. J Immunol 2007; 178: 6730–6733., , , , , , et al.
- 12Generation and regulation of human CD4+ IL-17-producing T cells in ovarian cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 15505–15510., , , , , .
- 13TH17 cells in development: an updated view of their molecular identity and genetic programming. Nat Rev Immunol 2008; 8: 337–348..
- 14A critical function for transforming growth factor-beta, interleukin 23 and proinflammatory cytokines in driving and modulating human T(H)-17 responses. Nat Immunol 2008; 9: 650–657., , , , , , et al.
- 15The differentiation of human T(H)-17 cells requires transforming growth factor-beta and induction of the nuclear receptor RORgammat. Nat Immunol 2008; 9: 641–649., , .
- 16Cutting edge: IFN-gamma enables APC to promote memory Th17 and abate Th1 cell development. J Immunol 2008; 181: 5842–5846., , , et al.
- 17Blockade of tumor necrosis factor in collagen-induced arthritis reveals a novel immunoregulatory pathway for Th1 and Th17 cells. J Exp Med 2008; 205: 2491–2497., , , , , , et al.
- 18Carcinoma-produced factors activate myeloid cells through TLR2 to stimulate metastasis. Nature 2009; 457: 102–106., , , , , , et al.
- 19Swords into plowshares: IL-23 repurposes tumor immune surveillance. Trends Immunol 2007; 28: 207–212., , .
- 20Inhibition of TGF-beta with neutralizing antibodies prevents radiation-induced acceleration of metastatic cancer progression. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 1305–1313., , , , , , et al.
- 21Increased intratumoral IL-17-producing cells correlate with poor survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. J Hepatol 2009; 50: 980–989., , , , , , et al.
- 22Tumor-educated tolerogenic dendritic cells induce CD3epsilon down-regulation and apoptosis of T cells through oxygen-dependent pathways. J Immunol 2008; 181: 3089–3098., , , , , .
- 23B7–H4 expression identifies a novel suppressive macrophage population in human ovarian carcinoma. J Exp Med 2006; 203: 871–881., , , , , , et al.
- 24Th17 cell differentiation: the long and winding road. Immunity 2008; 28: 445–453., .
- 25Interactions among the transcription factors Runx1, RORgammat and Foxp3 regulate the differentiation of interleukin 17-producing T cells. Nat Immunol 2008; 9: 1297–1306., , .
- 26Toll-like receptor 3 ligand attenuates LPS-induced liver injury by down-regulation of toll-like receptor 4 expression on macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2005; 102: 17077–17082., , , .
- 27Inhibition of macrophages with gadolinium chloride abrogates ozone-induced pulmonary injury and inflammatory mediator production. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1995; 13: 125–132., , , , .
- 28Interleukin-17 family members and inflammation. Immunity 2004; 21: 467–476., .
- 29IL-22 is required for Th17 cell-mediated pathology in a mouse model of psoriasis-like skin inflammation. J Clin Invest 2008; 118: 597–607., , , , , , et al.
- 30Stromal gene expression predicts clinical outcome in breast cancer. Nat Med 2008; 14: 518–527., , , , , , et al.
- 31Immunosuppressive strategies that are mediated by tumor cells. Annu Rev Immunol 2007; 25: 267–296., , .
- 32Activated monocytes in peritumoral stroma of hepatocellular carcinoma foster immune privilege and disease progression through PD-L1. J Exp Med 2009; 206: 1327–1337., , , , , et al.
- 33Neutrophil recruitment by human IL-17 via C-X-C chemokine release in the airways. J Immunol 1999; 162: 2347–2352., , , , , , et al.
- 34The role of myeloid cells in the promotion of tumour angiogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer 2008; 8: 618–631., , , .
- 35Optimal induction of T helper 17 cells in humans requires T cell receptor ligation in the context of Toll-like receptor-activated monocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 17034–17039., , , , .
- 36Stimulation of the intracellular bacterial sensor NOD2 programs dendritic cells to promote interleukin-17 production in human memory T cells. Immunity 2007; 27: 660–669., , , , , , et al.
- 37Phenotypic and functional features of human Th17 cells. J Exp Med 2008; 204: 1849–1861., , , , , , et al.