Liver Failure/Cirrhosis/Portal Hypertension
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 2, pages 585–594, February 2010
How to Cite
Everhart, J. E., Wright, E. C., Goodman, Z. D., Dienstag, J. L., Hoefs, J. C., Kleiner, D. E., Ghany, M. G., Mills, A. S., Nash, S. R., Govindarajan, S., Rogers, T. E., Greenson, J. K., Brunt, E. M., Bonkovsky, H. L., Morishima, C., Litman, H. J. and HALT-C Trial Group (2010), Prognostic value of Ishak fibrosis stage: Findings from the hepatitis C antiviral long-term treatment against cirrhosis trial. Hepatology, 51: 585–594. doi: 10.1002/hep.23315
The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Center for Research Resources or the National Institutes of Health.
The HALT-C Trial was registered with clinicaltrials.gov (#NCT00006164).
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Hoefs is on the speakers' bureau of Roche and Gilead. Dr. Greenson is a consultant for Roche, Millennium, and GlaxoSmithKline. Dr. Bonkovsky is a consultant for and advises Boehringer-Ingelheim and Novartis. He also advises and is on the speakers' bureau of Lundbeck Pharma. He received grants from Hoffmann-LaRoche, Merck, and Vortex.
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 2009
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- National Cancer Institute
- National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities
- General Clinical Research Center
- Clinical and Translational Science Center grants from the National Center for Research Resources
- National Institutes of Health
- Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc., through a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the National Institutes of Health
- 1Grading and staging the histopathological lesions of chronic hepatitis: the Knodell histology activity index and beyond. HEPATOLOGY 2000; 31: 241–246..
- 2Liver biopsy. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 49: 1017–1044., , , , .
- 3Formulation and application of a numerical scoring system for assessing histological activity in asymptomatic chronic active hepatitis. HEPATOLOGY 1981; 1: 431–435., , , , , , et al.
- 4Acute and chronic hepatic allograft rejection: pathology and classification. Liver Transpl Surg 1999; 5(4 Suppl 1 ): S21–S29..
- 5Classification of chronic viral hepatitis: a need for reassessment. J Hepatol 1991; 13: 372–374..
- 6An algorithm for the grading of activity in chronic hepatitis C. The METAVIR Cooperative Study Group. HEPATOLOGY 1996; 24: 289–293., .
- 7Histological grading and staging of chronic hepatitis. J Hepatol 1995; 22: 696–699., , , , , , et al.
- 8Evolution of the HALT-C Trial: pegylated interferon as maintenance therapy for chronic hepatitis C in previous interferon nonresponders. Control Clin Trials 2004; 25: 472–492., , , , , , et al.
- 9Prolonged therapy of advanced chronic hepatitis C with low-dose peginterferon. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 2429–2441., , , , , , et al.
- 10Grading and staging systems for inflammation and fibrosis in chronic liver diseases. J Hepatol 2007; 47: 598–607..
- 11Natural history and prognostic indicators of survival in cirrhosis: a systematic review of 118 studies. J Hepatol 2006; 44: 217–231., , .
- 12Progression of fibrosis in untreated patients with hepatitis C virus infection. Liver 2002; 22: 136–144., , , , , , et al.
- 13Rate of natural disease progression in patients with chronic hepatitis C. J Hepatol 2003; 38: 307–314., , , , , , et al.
- 14Progression of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 2003; 124: 97–104., , , , , , et al.
- 15Progression of hepatic fibrosis in patients with hepatitis C: a prospective repeat liver biopsy study. Gut 2004; 53: 451–455., , , , .
- 16Progression of liver fibrosis among injection drug users with chronic hepatitis C. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 43: 788–795., , , , , , et al.
- 17Assessment of fibrosis progression in untreated irish women with chronic hepatitis C contracted from immunoglobulin anti-D. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4: 1271–1277., , , , , , et al.
- 18The natural history of hepatitis C with severe hepatic fibrosis. J Hepatol 2007; 47: 37–45., , , , , , et al.
- 19Cirrhosis: liver biopsy Interpretation. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2006: 171–190., .
- 20Correlation of percutaneous liver biopsy fragmentation with the degree of fibrosis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004; 19: 545–549., , , , , .
- 21Reversal of cirrhosis: evidence-based medicine? Gastroenterology 2003; 125: 629–630., .
- 22Cirrhosis reversal: a duel between dogma and myth. J Hepatol 2004; 40: 860–867., .
- 23Ultrasound-assisted percutaneous liver biopsy: superiority of the Tru-Cut over the Menghini needle for diagnosis of cirrhosis. Gastroenterology 1988; 95: 487–489., , , , , , et al.
- 24Liver biopsy in cirrhotic patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 789–793., , , .
- 25Transjugular liver biopsy in 52 patients with an automated Trucut-type needle. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 177–180., , , , , .