Article first published online: 1 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 1341–1343, November 2009
How to Cite
Schilsky, M. (2009), Zinc treatment for symptomatic Wilson disease: Moving forward by looking back. Hepatology, 50: 1341–1343. doi: 10.1002/hep.23355
See Article on Page 1442
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 29 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- 1Prevention of Wilson's disease in asymptomatic patients. N Engl J Med 1968; 278: 352–359., .
- 2Copper chelation in patients with Wilson's disease. A comparison of penicillamine and triethylene tetramine dihydrochloride. Q J Med 1973; 42: 441–452..
- 3Diagnosis and treatment of Wilson disease: an update. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 2089–2111., .
- 4Studies on the accumulation and storage of copper in crossbred sheep. Austr J Agric Res 1954; 5: 511–544..
- 5De hepato-cerebral degeneratie (met een onderozoek van de zinkstofwisseling), academisch proefschrift Amsterdam [in Dutch]. Amsterdam, Netherlands: University of Amsterdam; 1961..
- 6Absorption, transport, and hepatic metabolism of copper and zinc: special reference to metallothionein and ceruloplasmin. Physiol Rev 1985; 65: 238–309..
- 7Function and regulation of human copper-transporting ATPases. Physiol Rev 2007; 87: 1011–1046., , , .
- 8Treatment of Wilson's disease with zinc. I. Oral zinc therapy regimens. HEPATOLOGY 1987; 7: 522–528., , , , .
- 9Hepatocellular copper toxicity and its attenuation by zinc. J Clin Invest 1989; 84: 1562–1568., , , , , , et al.
- 10Oral zinc sulphate as long-term treatment in Wilson's disease (hepatolenticular degeneration). Eur Neurol 1979; 18: 205–211., , .
- 11Treatment of Wilson's disease with zinc XVI: treatment during the pediatric years. J Lab Clin Med 2001; 7: 191–198., , , , , .
- 12Treatment of Wilson's disease with zinc. XVII: treatment during pregnancy. HEPATOLOGY 2000; 31: 364–370., , , , , .
- 13Treatment of Wilson's disease with zinc: XV long-term follow-up studies. J Lab Clin Med 1998; 132: 264–278., , , , , .
- 14Long-term exclusive zinc monotherapy in symptomatic Wilson disease: experience in 17 patients HEPATOLOGY 2009; 50: 1442–1452., , , , .
- 15Prognosis of Wilsonian chronic active hepatitis. Gastroenterology 1991; 100: 762–767., , .
- 16Treatment of Wilson disease with ammonium tetrathiomolybdate: IV. Comparison of tetrathiomolybdate and trientine in a double-blind study of treatment of the neurologic presentation of Wilson disease. Arch Neurol 2006; 63: 521–527., , , , , , et al.
- 17Wilson Disease in children: serum transaminases and urinary copper on triethylene tetramine dihydrochloride (Trientine) treatment. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2007; 44: 596–602., , , , .
- 18Treatment of Wilson's disease: in D-penicillamine we trust–what about zinc? HEPATOLOGY 1987; 7: 593–595., .
- 19Wilson's disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 3: 726–733..