Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1699–1701, December 2009
How to Cite
Dufour, D. R. (2009), Alanine aminotransferase: Is it healthy to be “normal”?. Hepatology, 50: 1699–1701. doi: 10.1002/hep.23358
See Article on page 1957.
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- 1Variability in the upper limit of normal for serum alanine aminotransferase levels: a statewide survey. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 50: 1957–1962., , , .
- 2Influence of local reference populations on upper limits of normal for serum alanine aminotransferase levels. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168: 663–666., , .
- 3College of American Pathologists 2003 fresh frozen serum proficiency testing studies. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005; 129: 292–293., .
- 4Diagnosis and monitoring of hepatic injury. I. Performance characteristics of laboratory tests. Clin Chem 2000; 46: 2027–2049., , , , , .
- 5Updated definitions of healthy ranges for serum alanine aminotransferase levels. Ann Intern Med 2002; 137: 1–10., , , , , , et al.
- 6Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in an urban population in the United States: Impact of ethnicity. HEPATOLOGY 2004; 40: 1387–1395., , , , , , et al.
- 7Higher concentrations of alanine aminotransferase within the reference interval predict nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Chem 2007; 53: 686–692., , , .
- 8Increased rate of death related to presence of viremia among hepatitis C virus antibody-positive subjects in a community-based cohort study. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 50: 393–399., , , , , , et al.
- 9Long-term outcome of hepatitis B e antigen-negative hepatitis B surface antigen carriers in relation to changes of alanine aminotransferase levels over time. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 49: 1859–1867., , , , , .
- 10Normal serum aminotransferase concentration and risk of mortality from liver diseases: prospective cohort study. BMJ 2004; 328: 983., , , , , .
- 11Serum activity of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) as an indicator of health and disease. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 1363–1370., , , .
- 12Serum aminotransferase activity and mortality risk in a United States community. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 880–887., , , , .
- 13Aminotransferase levels and 20-year risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Gastroenterology 2008; 135: 1935–1944., , , , , .
- 14Elevated serum alanine aminotransferase and gamma-glutamyltransferase and mortality in the United States population. Gastroenterology 2009; 136: 477–485., .
- 15Chronic hepatitis B. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 507–539., .