These authors equally contributed to this work.
Hepatocytes do not undergo epithelial-mesenchymal transition in liver fibrosis in mice†
Article first published online: 13 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 1027–1036, March 2010
How to Cite
Taura, K., Miura, K., Iwaisako, K., Österreicher, C. H., Kodama, Y., Penz-Österreicher, M. and Brenner, D. A. (2010), Hepatocytes do not undergo epithelial-mesenchymal transition in liver fibrosis in mice. Hepatology, 51: 1027–1036. doi: 10.1002/hep.23368
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 13 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2009
- US National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01GM041804
- 1Mechanisms of hepatic fibrogenesis. Gastroenterology 2008; 134: 1655–1669..
- 2Liver fibrosis. J Clin Invest 2005; 115: 209–218., .
- 3Hepatic lipocytes: the principal collagen-producing cells of normal rat liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1985; 82: 8681–8685., , , .
- 4Prominent contribution of portal mesenchymal cells to liver fibrosis in ischemic and obstructive cholestatic injuries. Lab Invest 2007; 87: 292–303., , , , , , et al.
- 5Bone marrow-derived fibrocytes participate in pathogenesis of liver fibrosis. J Hepatol 2006; 45: 429–438., , , , , , et al.
- 6Fibroblasts derive from hepatocytes in liver fibrosis via epithelial to mesenchymal transition. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 23337–23347., , , , , , et al.
- 7A dual reporter gene transgenic mouse demonstrates heterogeneity in hepatic fibrogenic cell populations. HEPATOLOGY 2004; 40: 1151–1159., , , .
- 8DNase I-hypersensitive sites enhance alpha1(I) collagen gene expression in hepatic stellate cells. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 37: 267–276., , , , , , et al.
- 9Improved reporter strain for monitoring Cre recombinase-mediated DNA excisions in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1999; 96: 5037–5042., , .
- 10Roles for C16-ceramide and sphingosine 1-phosphate in regulating hepatocyte apoptosis in response to tumor necrosis factor-alpha. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 27879–27887., , , , , .
- 11Near-infrared laser illumination transforms the fluorescence absorbing X-Gal reaction product BCI into a transparent, yet brightly fluorescent substance. Brain Res Bull 2006; 70: 33–43., , , , , .
- 12Identification and characterization of a fibroblast marker: FSP1. J Cell Biol 1995; 130: 393–405., , , , , , et al.
- 13Transforming growth factor-beta1 induces an epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition state in mouse hepatocytes in vitro. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 22089–22101., , , , , .
- 14Isolated hepatic lipocytes and Kupffer cells from normal human liver: morphological and functional characteristics in primary culture. HEPATOLOGY 1992; 15: 234–243., , , , , .
- 15Evidence that fibroblasts derive from epithelium during tissue fibrosis. J Clin Invest 2002; 110: 341–350., , , , , .
- 16Transforming growth factor-beta-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition in the lens: a model for cataract formation. Cells Tissues Organs 2005; 179: 43–55., , , .
- 17Alveolar epithelial cell mesenchymal transition develops in vivo during pulmonary fibrosis and is regulated by the extracellular matrix. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 13180–13185., , , , , , et al.
- 18Epithelial origin of myofibroblasts during fibrosis in the lung. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2006; 3: 377–382., , .
- 19Hepatocyte-specific Smad7 expression attenuates TGF-beta-mediated fibrogenesis and protects against liver damage. Gastroenterology 2008; 135: 642–659., , , , , , et al.
- 20Hedgehog signaling regulates epithelial-mesenchymal transition during biliary fibrosis in rodents and humans. J Clin Invest 2008; 118: 3331–3342., , , , , , et al.
- 21Epithelial-mesenchymal transition contributes to portal tract fibrogenesis during human chronic liver disease. Lab Invest 2008; 88: 112–123., , , , , , et al.
- 22Biliary epithelial-mesenchymal transition in posttransplantation recurrence of primary biliary cirrhosis. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 45: 977–981., , , , .
- 23Murine cirrhosis induces hepatocyte epithelial mesenchymal transition and alterations in survival signaling pathways. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 48: 909–919., , , .