Version of Record online: 13 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 50, Issue 6, pages 1696–1698, December 2009
How to Cite
Charlton, M. (2009), Fetal obesity syndrome: Maternal nutrition as a cause of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology, 50: 1696–1698. doi: 10.1002/hep.23371
See Article on Page 1796
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- 1Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA 2006; 295: 1549–1555., , , , , .
- 2Increases in clinically severe obesity in the United States, 1986–2000. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163: 2146–2148..
- 3Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications. Nature 2001; 414: 813–820..
- 4Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: cytokine-adipokine interplay and regulation of insulin resistance. Gastroenterology 2006; 131: 934–945., .
- 5Hepatocyte apoptosis and fas expression are prominent features of human nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Gastroenterology 2003; 125: 437–443., , , , , , et al.
- 6The lysosomal-mitochondrial axis in free fatty acid-induced hepatic lipotoxicity. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 1495–1503., , , , .
- 7Gene expression of tumor necrosis factor alpha and TNF-receptors, p55 and p75, in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis patients. HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34: 1158–1163., , , , , , et al.
- 8Hepatocyte apoptosis and fas expression are prominent features of human nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Gastroenterology 2003; 125: 437–443., , , , , , et al.
- 9Pathogenesis of liver fibrosis: role of oxidative stress. Mol Aspects Med 2000; 21: 49–98..
- 10Genetic variation in PNPLA3 confers susceptibility to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nat Genet 2008; 40: 1461–1465., , , , , , et al.
- 11Identification, cloning, expression, and purification of three novel human calcium-independent phospholipase A2 family members possessing triacylglycerol lipase and acylglycerol transacylase activities. J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 48968–48975., , , , , .
- 12Variation in the adiponutrin gene influences its expression and associates with obesity. Diabetes 2006; 55: 826–833., , , , , , et al.
- 13Adiponutrin: a new gene regulated by energy balance in human adipose tissue. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 89: 2684–2689., , , , , , et al.
- 14A common variant in PNPLA3, which encodes adiponutrin, is associated with liver fat content in humans. Diabetologia 2009; 52: 1056–1060., , , , , , et al.
- 15Maternal high-fat feeding primes steatohepatitis in adult mice offspring, involving mitochondrial dysfunction and altered lipogenesis gene expression. HEPATOLOGY 2009; 50: 1796–1808., , , , , , et al.
- 16Growth in utero and during childhood among women who develop coronary heart disease: longitudinal study. BMJ 1999; 319: 1403–1407., , , , .
- 17Mother's weight in pregnancy and coronary heart disease in a cohort of Finnish men: follow up study. BMJ 1997; 315: 837–840., , , , , .
- 18Metabolic programming: causes and consequences. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 1629–1632., .
- 19Metabolic programming by nutrition during early development. Indian J Exp Biol 2000; 38: 849–855., , .
- 20Metabolic programming: role of nutrition in the immediate postnatal life. J Inherit Metab Dis 2009; 32: 218–228., , .
- 21Nutrient-induced maternal hyperinsulinemia and metabolic programming in the progeny. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program 2005; 55: 137–147; discussion 147–151., , .
- 22High prevalence of diabetes, obesity and dyslipidaemia in urban slum population in northern India. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2001; 25: 1722–1729., , , , , .
- 23High prevalence of insulin resistance in postpubertal Asian Indian children is associated with adverse truncal body fat patterning, abdominal adiposity and excess body fat. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004; 28: 1217–1226., , , , , , et al.
- 24Autonomic involvement in the permanent metabolic programming of hyperinsulinemia in the high-carbohydrate rat model. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007; 292: E1364–E1377., , , .
- 25Environmental obesogens: organotins and endocrine disruption via nuclear receptor signaling. Endocrinology 2006; 147: S50–S55., .