These authors contributed equally to the manuscript.
The c-Rel subunit of nuclear factor-κB regulates murine liver inflammation, wound-healing, and hepatocyte proliferation†
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 922–931, March 2010
How to Cite
Gieling, R. G., Elsharkawy, A. M., Caamaño, J. H., Cowie, D. E., Wright, M. C., Ebrahimkhani, M. R., Burt, A. D., Mann, J., Raychaudhuri, P., Liou, H.-C., Oakley, F. and Mann, D. A. (2010), The c-Rel subunit of nuclear factor-κB regulates murine liver inflammation, wound-healing, and hepatocyte proliferation. Hepatology, 51: 922–931. doi: 10.1002/hep.23385
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 15 APR 2009
- UK Medical Research Council. Grant Number: G0401643
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: BH081446
- British Liver Trust
- 1Nuclear factor-κB and the hepatic inflammation-fibrosis-cancer axis. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 590–597., .
- 2NF-κB signaling, liver disease and hepatoprotective agents. Oncogene 2008; 27: 6228–6244., .
- 3NF-κB and the immune response. Oncogene 2006; 25: 6758–6780., , .
- 4Loss of hepatic NF-κB activity enhances chemical hepatocarcingenesis through sustained c-Jun N-terminal kinase 1 activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 10544–10551., , , .
- 5Deletion of NEMO/IKKγ in liver parenchymal cells causes steatohepatitis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Cell 2007; 11: 119–132., , , , , , et al.
- 6NF-κB functions as a tumour promoter in inflammation-associated cancer. Nature 2004; 431: 462–466., , , , , , et al.
- 7Unravelling the complexities of the NF-κB signalling pathway using mouse knockout and transgenic models. Oncogene 2006; 25: 6781–6799., , , , , , et al.
- 8Embryonic lethality and liver degeneration in mice lacking the RelA component of NF-κB. Nature 1995; 376: 167–170., , , , .
- 9Mice lacking the c-rel proto-oncogene exhibit defects in lymphocyte proliferation, humoral immunity and interleukin-2 expression. Genes Dev 1995; 9: 1965–1977., , , , , , et al.
- 10Multiorgan inflammation and hematopoietic abnormalities in mice with a targeted disruption of RelB, a member of the NF-κB family. Cell 1995; 80: 331–340., , , , , , et al.
- 11Targeted disruption of the p50 subunit of NF-κB leads to multifocal defects in immune responses. Cell 1995; 80: 321–330., , , .
- 12Nuclear factor (NF)-κB2 (p100/p52) is required for normal splenic microarchitecture and B cell-mediated immune responses. J Exp Med 1998; 187: 185–196., , , , , , et al.
- 13Nuclear factor-κB1 (p50) limits the inflammatory and fibrogenic responses to chronic injury. Am J Pathol 2005; 166: 695–708., , , , , , et al.
- 14Hepatic nuclear factor κB regulates neutrophil recruitment to the injured brain. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2008; 67: 223–230., , , , , , et al.
- 15Developmental expression of the mouse c-rel proto-oncogene in hematopoietic organs. Development 1994; 120: 2991–3004., , .
- 16Distinctions between c-Rel and other NF-κB proteins in immunity and disease. Bioessays 2003; 25: 767–780., .
- 17Selective loss of c-rel compromises dendritic cell activation of T lymphocytes. Cell Immunol 2003; 222: 105–115., , , , , , et al.
- 18c-Rel regulates interleukin 12 p70 expression in CD*(+) dendritic cells by specifically inducing p5 gene transcription. J Exp Med 2001; 194: 1021–1032., , , , , , et al.
- 19Selective requirement for c-Rel during IL-12 p40 gene induction in macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97: 12705–12710., , , , .
- 20PKCθ promotes c-Rel-driven mammary tumorigenesis in mice and humans by repressing estrogen receptor α synthesis. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 4009–4021., .
- 21c-Rel is crucial for lymphocyte proliferation but dispensible for T cell effector function. Int Immunol 1999; 11: 361–371., , , , , .
- 22Models of liver fibrosis; exploring the dyamic nature of inflammation and repair in a solid organ. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 539–548..
- 23Interferon regulator factor 8 regulates RANTES gene transcription in cooperation with interferon regulator factor-1, NF-κB and PU.1. J Biol Chem 2006; 281: 19188–19195., .
- 24Inducible lung-specific expression of RANTES: preferential recruitment of neutrophils. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2000; 279: L658–L666., , , .
- 25Selective depletion of macrophages reveals distinct opposing roles during liver injury and repair. J Clin Invest 2005; 115: 56–65., , , , , , et al.
- 26IKKβ couples hepatocyte death to cytokine-driven compensatory proliferation that promotes chemical hepatocarcinogenesis. Cell 2005; 121: 977–990., , , , .
- 27Liver regeneration. HEPATOLOGY 2006; 43( 2 Suppl. 1): S45–S53., , .
- 28Premature expression of the winged helix transcription factor HFH-11B in regenerating liver accelerates hepatocyte entry into S phase. Mol Cell Biol 1999; 19: 8570–8580., , , , .
- 29Increased levels of forkhead box M1B transcription factor in transgenic mouse hepatocytes prevent age-related proliferation defects in regenerating liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001; 98: 11468–11473., , , , , .
- 30CCR1 and CCR5 promote hepatic fibrosis in mice. J Clin Invest 2009; 119: 1858–1870., , , , , , et al.
- 31Inhibition of NF-κB in activated rat hepatic stellate cells by proteasome inhibitors and an IκB super-repressor. HEPATOLOGY 1998; 27: 1285–1295., , , , , .
- 32Inhibition of inhibitor of kappaB kinases stimulates hepatic stellate cell apoptosis and recovery from rat liver fibrosis. Gastroenterology 2005; 128: 108–120., , , , , , et al.
- 33NF-κB is a critical regulator of the survival of rodent and human hepatic myofibroblasts. J Hepatol 2008; 48: 589–597., , , , , , et al.
- 34Regulation of hepatic stellate cell differentiation by the neurotrophin receptor p75NTR. Science 2007; 315: 1853–1856., , , .
- 35c-Rel regulation of the cell cycle in primary mouse B lymphocytes. Int Immunol 2002; 14: 905–916., , , , .
- 36Uncoupling of S phase and mitosis in cardiomyocytes and hepatocytes lacking the winged-helix transcription factor trident. Curr Biol 1998; 8: 1327–1330., , , , , , et al.
- 37FoxM1 is required for execution of the mitotic programme and chromosome stability. Nat Cell Biol 2005; 7: 108–110., , , , , , et al.
- 38The forkhead box M1 transcription factor is essential for hepatocyte DNA replication and mitosis during mouse liver regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99: 16881–16886., , , , , , et al.
- 39NF-κB prevents apoptosis and liver dysfunction during liver regeneration. J Clin Invest 1998; 101: 802–811., , , , , , et al.
- 40Hepatocyte-specific inhibition of NF-κB leads to apoptosis after TNF treatment, but not after partial hepatectomy. J Clin Invest 2002; 110: 193–202., , , , .
- 41Hepatocyte-specific inhibitor-of-κB-kinase deletion triggers the innate immune response and promotes earlier cell proliferation during liver regeneration. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 47: 2036–2050., , , , , , et al.
- 42Integrating cell-signalling pathways with NF-κB and IKK function. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2007; 8: 49–62..