Liver Failure/Cirrhosis/Portal Hypertension
Insulin-like growth factor I gene transfer to cirrhotic liver induces fibrolysis and reduces fibrogenesis leading to cirrhosis reversion in rats†
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 912–921, March 2010
How to Cite
Sobrevals, L., Rodriguez, C., Romero-Trevejo, J. L., Gondi, G., Monreal, I., Pañeda, A., Juanarena, N., Arcelus, S., Razquin, N., Guembe, L., González-Aseguinolaza, G., Prieto, J. and Fortes, P. (2010), Insulin-like growth factor I gene transfer to cirrhotic liver induces fibrolysis and reduces fibrogenesis leading to cirrhosis reversion in rats. Hepatology, 51: 912–921. doi: 10.1002/hep.23412
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2009
- CICYT. Grant Numbers: SAF2003-01804, BIO2006-13225
- Pedro Barrié de la Maza and Condesa de Fenosa Foundation
- Instituto de Salud Carlos III and through the “UTE project CIMA”
- 1Liver and intestine transplantation in the United States, 1997–2006. Am J Transplant 2008; 8: 958–976., , , , , .
- 2IGF-binding proteins are multifunctional and act via IGF-dependent and -independent mechanisms. J Endocrinol 2002; 175: 19–31., .
- 3IGF1R signalling and its inhibition. Endocr Relat Cancer 2006; 13( Suppl 1): S33–S43., .
- 4Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) replacement therapy increases albumin concentration in liver cirrhosis: results of a pilot randomized controlled clinical trial. J Hepatol 2005; 43: 630–636., , , , , , et al.
- 5Impaired intestinal sugar transport in cirrhotic rats: correction by low doses of insulin-like growth factor I. Gastroenterology 1997; 113: 1180–1187., , , , , , et al.
- 6Hepatoprotective effects of insulin-like growth factor I in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced cirrhosis. Gastroenterology 1997; 113: 1682–1691., , , , , , et al.
- 7Liver transduction with a simian virus 40 vector encoding insulin-like growth factor I reduces hepatic damage and the development of liver cirrhosis. Gene Ther 2007; 14: 203–210., , , , , , et al.
- 8Regulation by hypoxia of methionine adenosyltransferase activity and gene expression in rat hepatocytes. Gastroenterology 1998; 114: 364–371., , , .
- 9Isolation and culture of hepatic lipocytes, Kupffer cells, and sinusoidal endothelial cells by density gradient centrifugation with Stractan. Anal Biochem 1987; 161: 207–218., .
- 10A rodent model of cirrhosis, ascites, and bacterial peritonitis. Gastroenterology 1991; 100: 489–493., , , .
- 11Purified rat liver fat-storing cells in culture divide and contain collagen. HEPATOLOGY 1984; 4: 392–403., , , .
- 12Gene expression profiles during hepatic stellate cell activation in culture and in vivo. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 1937–1946., , , , , , et al.
- 13Mechanisms of disease: mechanisms of hepatic fibrosis and therapeutic implications. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004; 1: 98–105..
- 14Molecular regulation of hepatic fibrosis, an integrated cellular response to tissue injury. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 2247–2250..
- 15Liver fibrosis — from bench to bedside. J Hepatol 2003; 38( Suppl 1): S38–S53..
- 16The epidermal growth factor receptor ligand amphiregulin participates in the development of mouse liver fibrosis. HEPATOLOGY 2008; 48: 1251–1261., , , , , , et al.
- 17Hepatocyte growth factor gene therapy of liver cirrhosis in rats. Nat Med 1999; 5: 226–230., , , , , , et al.
- 18Wilms' tumor 1 gene expression in hepatocellular carcinoma promotes cell dedifferentiation and resistance to chemotherapy. Cancer Res 2009; 69: 1358–1367., , , , , , et al.
- 19Expression of Wilms' tumor suppressor in the liver with cirrhosis: relation to hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 and hepatocellular function. HEPATOLOGY 2003; 38: 148–157., , , , , , et al.
- 20Mutations in the human genes encoding the transcription factors of the hepatocyte nuclear factor (HNF)1 and HNF4 families: functional and pathological consequences. J Mol Endocrinol 2001; 27: 11–29..
- 21Simian virus-40 as a gene therapy vector. DNA Cell Biol 2004; 23: 271–282., .
- 22Insulin-like growth factor I binding in hepatocytes from human liver, human hepatoma, and normal, regenerating, and fetal rat liver. J Clin Invest 1988; 81: 976–981., , , , , .
- 23Characterization of the IGF axis components in isolated rat hepatic stellate cells. HEPATOLOGY 1998; 27: 1275–1284., , , , , , et al.
- 24Regulation of the Mr 72,000 type IV collagenase by the type I insulin-like growth factor receptor. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 3243–3247., , .
- 25Therapeutic strategies against TGF-beta signaling pathway in hepatic fibrosis. Liver Int 2006; 26: 8–22., , .
- 26Spontaneous recovery from micronodular cirrhosis: evidence for incomplete resolution associated with matrix cross-linking. Gastroenterology 2004; 126: 1795–1808., , , , , , et al.
- 27Liver gene expression signature of mild fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 2005; 129: 2064–2075., , , , , , et al.
- 28Nuclear factor-kappaB and the hepatic inflammation-fibrosis-cancer axis. HEPATOLOGY 2007; 46: 590–597., .
- 29Thioacetamide-induced intestinal-type cholangiocarcinoma in rat: an animal model recapitulating the multi-stage progression of human cholangiocarcinoma. Carcinogenesis 2004; 25: 631–636., , , , .
- 30Serum insulin-like growth factor I evaluation as a useful tool for predicting the risk of developing hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis C virus-related cirrhosis: a prospective study. Cancer 2002; 15: 2539–2545., , , , , , et al.
- 31The role of the IGF axis in hepatocarcinogenesis. Horm Metab Res 2003; 35: 685–693., .