Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Bajaj is a consultant for, advises, and received grants from Salix and Ocera..
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Advances in Hepatology
Drug therapy: Rifaximin1
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 52, Issue 4, pages 1484–1488, October 2010
How to Cite
Bajaj, J. S. and Riggio, O. (2010), Drug therapy: Rifaximin. Hepatology, 52: 1484–1488. doi: 10.1002/hep.23866
- Issue published online: 29 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2010
- 1Hepatic encephalopathy. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 1968-1976.,Direct Link:
- 7Effect of the proteins of the diet in patients with cirrhosis and a prior episode of hepatic encephalopathy. A long-term randomized study [Abstract]. Hepatology 2009; 50: 313A., , , , , , et al.
- 8Review: rifaximin is equally or more effective than other antibiotics and lactulose for hepatic encephalopathy. ACP J Club 2008; 149: 11.
- 10Briefing Document for Gastrointestinal Drugs Advisory Committee Meeting, for rifaximin tablets. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/GastrointestinalDrugs AdvisoryCommittee/UCM201081.pdf. Accessed July 2010.
- 12In vitro activity of rifaximin, metronidazole and vancomycin against Clostridium difficile and the rate of selection of spontaneously resistant mutants against representative anaerobic and aerobic bacteria, including ammonia-producing species. Chemotherapy 2000; 46: 253-266., , , ,
- 17Rifaximin New Drug Application approval letter. http://www. accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/appletter/2010/022554s000ltr.pdf.