AASLD Practice Guideline
Article first published online: 26 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 1433–1444, October 2011
How to Cite
Ghany, M. G., Nelson, D. R., Strader, D. B., Thomas, D. L. and Seeff, L. B. (2011), An update on treatment of genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C virus infection: 2011 practice guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Hepatology, 54: 1433–1444. doi: 10.1002/hep.24641
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Nelson receives research support from Vertex, Merck, Phamassett, Genentech/Roche, Gilead, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Tibotec, Bayer/Onyx and serves on advisory boards of Merck, Pharmassett, Genentech/Roche, Gilead, Tibotec, and Bayer/Onyx, and is a consultant for Vertex.
Dr. Thomas receives research support from Merck, Gilead and serves on a Merck advisory board.
Dr. Ghany, Dr. Seeff, and Dr. Strader have nothing to report.
Consultant in Hepatology for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20943. The views expressed in the document are those of the authos and not of the Food and Drug Administration.
All AASLD Practice Guidelines are updated annually. If you are viewing a Practice Guideline that is more than 12 months old, please visit www.aasld.org for an update in the material.
- Issue published online: 27 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 26 SEP 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 SEP 2011 09:28AM EST
- Manuscript Received: 29 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2011
- 1A manual for assessing health practices and designing practice guidelines. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians. 1996.
- 3American Heart Association. http://my.americanheart.org/idc/groups/ahamah-public/@wcm/@sop/documents/downloadable/ucm-319826.p4. Accessed August 2011.
- 9Sustained virologic response prevents the development of esophageal varices in compensated, Child-Pugh class A hepatitis C virus-induced cirrhosis. A 12-year prospective follow-up study. HEPATOLOGY 2010; 51: 2069-2076., , , , , , et al.
- 11for SPRINT-,1 Investigators. Efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 protease inhibitor, in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in treatment-naive patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C infection (SPRINT-1): an open-label, randomised, multicentre phase 2 trial. Lancet 2010; 376: 705-716., , , , , , et al.;
- 20Activity of telaprevir alone or in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in treatment naïve genotype 2 and 3 hepatitis C patients: interim results of study C209. J Hepatol 2009; 50( suppl 1): S22., , , , , , et al.
- 22Telaprevir in combination with peginterferon alfa 2a and ribavirin for 24 or 48 weeks in treatment-naive genotype 1 HCV patients who achived an extended rapid virological response: final results of Phase 3 ILLUMINATE study [Abstract LB-2]. HEPATOLOGY 2010; 52: 401A., , , , , , et al.
- 23Anemia during treatment with peginterferon alfa-2b/ribavirin with or without boceprevir is associated with higher SVR rates: analysis of previously untreated and previous-treatment-failure patients. J Hepatol 2011; 54( suppl 1): S195-S196., , , , , , et al.
- 24Anemia had no effect on efficacy outcomes in treatment-naive patients who received telaprevir-based regimen in the ADVANCE and ILLUMINATE phase 3 studies. J Hepatol 2011; 54( suppl 1): S195., , , , , , et al.
- 25Frequencies of resistance-associated amino acid variants following combination treatment with boceprevir plus PEGINTRON (Peginterferon Alfa-2b)/ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C, genotype 1 (G1) [Abstract]. HEPATOLOGY 2010; 52: 702A., , , , , , et al.
- 26Highlights of Prescribing Information for Incivek. www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/201917lbl.pdf. Accessed August 2011. Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, MA.
- 27Long-term follow-up of patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with telaprevir in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin: interim analysis of the Extend study [Abstract]. HEPATOLOGY 2010; 52: 436A., , , , , , et al.
- 34IL28B polymorphism predicts virological response in patients with chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 treated with boceprevir (BOC) combination therapy. J Hepatol 2011; 54( suppl 1): S6., , , , , , et al.
- 35Telaprevir substantially improves SVR rates across all IL28b genotypes in the advanced trial. J Hepatol 2011; 54: S1369., , , , , , et al.