fax: +44 (0)1179287325
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 55, Issue 1, pages 49–57, January 2012
How to Cite
Martin, N. K., Vickerman, P., Miners, A., Foster, G. R., Hutchinson, S. J., Goldberg, D. J. and Hickman, M. (2012), Cost-effectiveness of hepatitis C virus antiviral treatment for injection drug user populations. Hepatology, 55: 49–57. doi: 10.1002/hep.24656
Potential conflict of interest: Dr. Goldberg advises Merck.
Dr. Foster consults for, advises, is on the speakers' bureau of, and received grants from Roche, Gilead and Janssen. He consults for and is on the speakers' bureau of Bristol-Myers Squibb. He also consults for GlaxoSmithKline and Merck.
Supported by NCCRCD/NIHR CRDHB, MRC New Investigator Award, Scottish Government Hepatitis C Action Plan.
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 SEP 2011 01:44PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUN 2011
- 2ACMD. The Primary Prevention of Hepatitis C Among Injecting Drug Users, 2009.
- 3Hepatitis C Virus Projections Working Group. Estimates and projections of the hepatitis C virus epidemic in Australia 2006. http://www.nchecr.unsw.edu.au/NCHECRweb.nsf/resources/HCVPWG2006/$file/HCVPWGRepAug06.pdf; 2006.
- 6Full participation in harm reduction programmes is associated with decreased risk for human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus: evidence from the Amsterdam Cohort Studies among drug users. Addiction 2007; 102: 1454-1462., , , , .
- 7The impact of needle and syringe provision and opiate substitution therapy on the incidence of Hepatitis C virus in injecting drug users: pooling of UK evidence. Addiction 2011; doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03515.x [Epub ahead of print]., , , , , , et al.
- 8Evidence for the effectiveness of sterile injecting equipment provision in preventing hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus transmission among injecting drug users: a review of reviews. Addiction 2010; 105: 844-859., , , , , .
- 13NICE. Peginterferon alfa and ribavirin for the treatment of mild chronic hepatitis C. Technol Appraisal Guidance 106: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence; 2006.
- 20NIH. Management of Hepatitis C. 2002. NIH Consensus Statement. In: (NIH) NIoH, editor, 2002.
- 21Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Schedule of pharmaceutical benefits for approved pharmacists and medical practitioners. Canberra: Department of Health and Aged Care and Medicare Australia, Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme; 2001.
- 23Pegylated interferon α-2a and -2b in combination with ribavirin in the treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess 2004; 8: 39., , , , , .
- 25The cost-effectiveness of testing for hepatitis C in former injecting drug users. Health Technol Assess 2006; 2006: 32., , , , , , et al.
- 26NICE. Guide to the Methods of Technology Appraisal, 2008.
- 27Assessing IDU prevalence and health consequences (HCV, overdose and drug-related mortality) in a primary care trust: implications for public health action. J Public Health 2009: 1-9., , , , , , et al.
- 28Government Actuary's Department. Interim life tables 1980-82 to 2004-06: Office for National Statistics.
- 33Assessing the cost-effectiveness of interventions linked to needle and syringe programmes for injecting drug users. In: NICE, editor. London, 2008., , .
- 34British Medical Association. British National Formulary. 2010; 59.
- 35Decision Modelling for Health Economic Evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2006., , .
- 42Risk of death during and after opiate substitution treatment in primary care: prospective observational study in UK General Practice Research Database. BMJ 2010; 341., , , , .
- 43Life expectancy at birth: methodological options for small populations. National Statistics Methodological Series No. 33; Office for National Statistics, 2003., .
- 46The cost-effectiveness of screening and treatment for hepatitis C in prisons in England and Wales: a cost-utility analysis. J Viral Hepat 2008; 15797–808., , , .