Article first published online: 18 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2011 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 55, Issue 5, pages 1344–1355, May 2012
How to Cite
McGarry, L. J., Pawar, V. S., Panchmatia, H. R., Rubin, J. L., Davis, G. L., Younossi, Z. M., Capretta, J. C., O'Grady, M. J. and Weinstein, M. C. (2012), Economic model of a birth cohort screening program for hepatitis C virus. Hepatology, 55: 1344–1355. doi: 10.1002/hep.25510
Potential conflict of interest: All authors were paid consultants to Vertex.
This research was commissioned by Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Cambridge, MA), a global biotechnology company. The funding source formulated the initial study questions and provided copyright release for the manuscript for this article, but did not participate in the data search, analysis, or interpretation of results.
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 DEC 2011 01:21AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 21 MAR 2011
- 6Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines. MMWR 2010;59(12):85–86.
- 9Efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 protease inhibitor, in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in treatment-naive patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C infection (SPRINT-1): an open-label, randomised, multicentre phase 2 trial. Lancet 2010; 376: 705-716., , , , , , et al.
- 10Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A comprehensive strategy for the prevention and control of hepatitis C virus infection and its consequences. Summer 2001. Available at: /www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HCV/Strategy/PDFs/NatHepCPrevStrategy.pdf. Accessed on June 3, 2011.
- 11Hepatitis and Liver Cancer: A National Strategy for Prevention and Control of Hepatitis B and C. The Institute of Medicine's Committee on the Prevention and Control of Viral Hepatitis Infections. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2010., .
- 13Consequences of hepatitis C virus (HCV): costs of a baby boomer epidemic of liver disease. Milliman Report. New York: Pyenson B. Milliman; 2009., , .
- 15Identification and management of hepatitis C patients in primary care clinics. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 639-644., , , .Direct Link:
- 22United States life tables, 2004. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2007; 56: 1-39..
- 24United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer price index: all urban consumers (current series): medical care component, first half 2010. Available at: www.bls.gov/cpi/. Accessed on Jan 10, 2011.
- 32Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Expenses. 2010 Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory Fee, April 2010 Release Fee Schedule, using the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS). Available at: https://www.cms.gov/ClinicalLabFeeSched/02_clinlab.asp. Accessed on June 22, 2010.
- 33MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions. 2010 Physician's Fee and Coding Guide, 21st ed. Atlanta, GA: MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions, Inc.; 2009.
- 35Genentech (a member of the Roche group). Pegasys prescribing information. South San Francisco, CA: Genentech, Inc. Available at: http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/pegasys/. Accessed on June 10, 2010.
- 36First Bank Database. Available at: http://www.firstdatabank.com/. Accessed on June 10, 2010.
- 37Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated. INCIVEK (telaprevir): package pricing is based on May 2011 WAC for NDC 51167-0100-01 (published by Red Book). Montvale, NJ: Thomson Reuters; 2011.
- 40Assessment of utilities and health-related quality of life in patients with chronic liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 579-583., , , , .Direct Link:
- 45Newborn screening expands: recommendations for pediatricians and medical homes-implications for the system. American Academy of Pediatrics Newborn Screening Authoring Committee. Pediatrics 2008; 121: 192-217.