These authors contributed equally to this work.
Polymorphisms of the core, NS3, and NS5A proteins of hepatitis C virus genotype 1b associate With development of hepatocellular carcinoma
Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2012 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 58, Issue 2, pages 555–563, August 2013
How to Cite
El-Shamy, A., Shindo, M., Shoji, I., Deng, L., Okuno, T. and Hotta, H. (2013), Polymorphisms of the core, NS3, and NS5A proteins of hepatitis C virus genotype 1b associate With development of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 58: 555–563. doi: 10.1002/hep.26205
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Supported in part by Health and Labour Sciences Research Grants from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan, and a SATREPS Grant from Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). This study was also carried out as part of Japan Initiative for Global Research Network on Infectious Diseases (J-GRID), Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan, and the Global Center of Excellence (G-COE) Program at Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine.
See Editorial on Page 491
- Issue online: 29 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 DEC 2012 05:02AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 SEP 2012
- 4Interferon therapy reduces the risk for hepatocellular carcinoma: national surveillance program of cirrhotic and noncirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis C in Japan. IHIT Study Group. Inhibition of hepatocarcinogenesis by interferon therapy. Ann Intern Med 1999;131:174-181., , , , , , et al.
- 15Substitution of amino acid 70 in the hepatitis C virus core region of genotype 1b is an important predictor of elevated alpha-fetoprotein in patients without hepatocellular carcinoma. J Med Virol 2008;80:1354-1362., , , , , , et al.
- 20Predictive factors of early and sustained responses to peginterferon plus ribavirin combination therapy in Japanese patients infected with hepatitis C virus genotype 1b: amino acid substitutions in the core region and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. J Hepatol 2007;46:403-410., , , , , , et al.
- 28Effect of interferon therapy on hepatocellular carcinogenesis in patients with chronic hepatitis type C: A long-term observation study of 1,643 patients using statistical bias correction with proportional hazard analysis. Hepatology 1999;29:1124-1130., , , , , , et al.
- 29Interferon therapy lowers the rate of progression to hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis C but not significantly in an advanced stage: a retrospective study in 1148 patients. Viral Hepatitis Therapy Study Group. J Hepatol 1999;30:653-659., , , , , , et al.
- 32Prediction of efficient virological response to pegylated interferon/ribavirin combination therapy by NS5A sequences of hepatitis C virus and anti-NS5A antibodies in pre-treatment sera. Microbiol Immunol 2007;51:471-482., , , , , , et al.
- 34Identification of hepatitis C virus (HCV) subtype 1b strains that are highly, or only weakly, associated with hepatocellular carcinoma on the basis of the secondary structure of an amino-terminal portion of the HCV NS3 protein. J Clin Microbiol 2003;41:2835-2841., , , , , , et al.