See Editorial on Page 1197
Incidence and prevalence of hepatitis C in prisons and other closed settings: Results of a systematic review and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 6 AUG 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 58, Issue 4, pages 1215–1224, October 2013
How to Cite
Larney, S., Kopinski, H., Beckwith, C. G., Zaller, N. D., Jarlais, D. D., Hagan, H., Rich, J. D., van den Bergh, B. J. and Degenhardt, L. (2013), Incidence and prevalence of hepatitis C in prisons and other closed settings: Results of a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hepatology, 58: 1215–1224. doi: 10.1002/hep.26387
Financial support for this study was provided by the HIV/AIDS Department of the World Health Organization. S.L. is supported by an Australian National Health and Medical Research Council Early Career (NHMRC) Research Fellowship (1035149). C.G.B. is supported by a US National Institutes of Health (NIH) Career Development Award (NIDA K23DA021095). J.D.R. is supported by an NIH Midcareer Investigator Award in Patient Oriented Research (NIDA K24DA022112). L.D. is supported by an NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship (10417142). The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre receives core funding from the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. The Lifespan/Tufts/Brown Center for AIDS Research is funded by the NIH (NIAID P30AI042853).
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 1 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 6 AUG 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 MAR 2013 07:49AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2013
- 6United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. HIV prevention, treatment and care in prisons and other closed settings: a comprehensive package of interventions. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime; 2012.
- 8Incarceration experiences among a community-recruited sample of injection drug users in Bangkok, Thailand. BMC Public Health 2009;9., , , , , , et al.
- 12Transmission of hepatitis C through tattooing in a United States prison. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96:1304-1305., , .Direct Link:
- 18Hepatitis C infection and incarcerated populations. Int J Drug Policy 2004;15:103-114., , , , , .
- 21Searching the grey literature to access information on drugs, alcohol and HIV/AIDS research: an update. Sydney: National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre; 2010., , , , , , et al.
- 22WHO. Assessment of compulsory treatment of people who use drugs in Cambodia, China, Malaysia and Vietnam: an application of selected human rights principles. Manila: World Health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office; 2009.
- 23metan: fixed- and random-effects meta-analysis. Stata J 2008;8:3-28., , , , , .
- 24Meta-regression in Stata. Stata J 2008;8:493-519., .
- 27Prevalence of antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B and hepatitis C and risk factors in prisoners in Lebanon. J Infect Dev Countries 2010;4:144-149., , , , .
- 30Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among juvenile prisoners. J Hepatol 2012;56:S546., , .
- 32World prison population list, 9th ed. 2011. http://www.idcr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WPPL-9-22.pdf, accessed November 2012..
- 33A systematic review and meta-analysis of interventions to prevent hepatitis C virus infection in people who inject drugs. J Infect Dis 2011;20:474-483., , .
- 34WHO. Guidance on prevention of viral hepatitis B and C among people who inject drugs. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 35Interventions to reduce HIV transmission related to injecting drug use in prison. Lancet Infect Dis 2009;9:57-66., , .
- 37WHO. Interventions to address HIV in prisons: needle and syringe programmes and decontamination strategies. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2007.
- 41Establishment of a successful assessment and treatment service for Australian prison inmates with chronic hepatitis C. Med J Aust 2010;192:496-500., , , .
- 42United Nations. Joint statement: compulsory drug detention and rehabilitation centres. Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/document/2012/JC2310_Joint%20Statement6March12FINAL_en.pdf, accessed March 5, 2013: United Nations; 2012.