See Editorial on Page 1874
Homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance does not seem to predict response to telaprevir in chronic hepatitis C in the REALIZE trial
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2013
© 2013 by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 58, Issue 6, pages 1897–1906, December 2013
How to Cite
Younossi, Z., Negro, F., Serfaty, L., Pol, S., Diago, M., Zeuzem, S., Andreone, P., Lawitz, E. J., Roberts, S., Focaccia, R., Foster, G. R., Horban, A., Lonjon-Domanec, I., Coate, B., DeMasi, R., Picchio, G. and Witek, J. (2013), Homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance does not seem to predict response to telaprevir in chronic hepatitis C in the REALIZE trial. Hepatology, 58: 1897–1906. doi: 10.1002/hep.26437
Potential conflict of interest: Zobair Younossi: Consultant or Advisory Board member for Vertex, Gilead, Salix, Janssen, Coneatus and Enterome. Francesco Negro: Consultant for MSD, Roche, Gilead and Janssen; Research grants from Roche and Novartis. Lawrence Serfaty: Consultant for Abbott, Aptalis, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead, GlaxoSmithKline, Genfit, Janssen, MSD/Schering-Plough, Pfizer, Roche, Vertex. Stanislas Pol: Consultant for Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim, Janssen, Vertex, Gilead, Roche, Schering-Plough/Merck, Novartis, Abbott, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline; Research grants from Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead, Roche and Merck/Schering Plough. Moises Diago: Consultant for MSD, Janssen, Roche and Abbott. Stefan Zeuzem: Consultant for Abbott, Achillion, AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim, Gilead, Idenix, Janssen, Merck, Novartis, Presidio, Roche, Santaris and Vertex. Pietro Andreone: Advisory board member for Roche, MSD, Janssen-Cilag; Consultant for MSD, Bristol-Myers Squibb; Research grants from Roche, MSD and Gilead. Eric J Lawitz: Research grants from Abbott, Achillion, Anadys, Biolex Therapeutics, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead, GlaxoSmithKline, GlobeImmune, Idenix, Idera, Inhibitex, Intercept, Janssen, Medarex, Medtronic, Merck & Co., Novartis, Pharmasset, Presidio, Roche, Schering-Plough, Santaris, Scynexis, Vertex, ViroChem and ZymoGenetics; Advisory board member for Abbott, Achillion, Anadys, Biolex, BioCryst, Biotica, Enanta, Gilead, GlobeImmune, Idenix, Inhibitex, Janssen, Merck & Co., Novartis, Pharmasset, Santaris, Tibotec, Theravance and Vertex; Speakers' Bureau member for Gilead, Kadmon, Merck & Co. and Vertex. Stuart Roberts: Advisory board member for Janssen and Roche. Roberto Focaccia: Research grants from Janssen, MSD, and Roche. Graham R. Foster: Consultant, Advisory Board member, and/or Speakers' Bureau member for Abbott, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim, Gilead, Idenix, Janssen, Merck, Novartis, Presidio, Roche and Vertex. Andrzej Horban: Declares no competing interests. Isabelle Lonjon-Domanec, Bruce Coate, Ralph DeMasi, Gaston Picchio, and James Witek are employees of Janssen Research & Development, LLC. Dr. DeMasi owns stock in Janssen. Dr. Picchio and Dr. Witek own stock in Johnson & Johnson.
Clinical Trial Identifier: NCT00703118.
The REALIZE trial was funded by Janssen Pharmaceuticals and Vertex Pharmaceuticals.
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 APR 2013 05:04AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 NOV 2012
- 15Telaprevir in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 24 or 48 weeks in treatment-naïve genotype 1 HCV patients who achieved an extended rapid viral response: final results of phase 3 ILLUMINATE study. Hepatology 2010;52:401A., , , , , , et al.
- 19Predictors of virologic response with telaprevir-based combination treatment in HCV genotype 1-infected patients with prior peginterferon/ribavirin treatment failure: post-hoc analysis of the phase III REALIZE study. Hepatology 2011;54(Suppl 1):375A., , , , , , et al.
- 22Insulin resistance and diabetes increase fibrosis in the liver of patients with genotype 1 HCV infection. Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:1136-1144., , , , , , et al.Direct Link:
- 27Central role of suppressors of cytokine signaling proteins in hepatic steatosis, insulin resistance, and the metabolic syndrome in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004;101:10422-10427., , , .
- 31Intrahepatic mRNA levels of the suppressors of cytokine signalling 1 and 3 mRNA are associated with cirrhosis but do not predict virological response to therapy in chronic hepatitis C. Liver Int 2013;33:94-103., , , , , , et al.
- 45Efficacy and safety of telaprevir-based regimens in cirrhotic patients with HCV genotype 1 and prior peginterferon/ribavirin treatment failure: subanalysis of the REALIZE Phase III study. J Hepatol 2011;54(Suppl 1):S6., , , , , , et al.
- 46Telaprevir substantially improved SVR rates across all IL28B genotypes in the ADVANCE trial. J Hepatol 2011;54:S542., , , , , , et al.
- 47Amino acid substitution in hepatitis C virus core region and genetic variation near the interleukin 28B gene predict viral response to telaprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin. Hepatology 2010;52:421-429., , , , , , et al.