Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Steatohepatitis/Metabolic Liver Disease
Relationship between disease severity, hyperinsulinemia, and impaired insulin clearance in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
© 2014 by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 59, Issue 6, pages 2178–2187, June 2014
How to Cite
Bril, F., Lomonaco, R., Orsak, B., Ortiz-Lopez, C., Webb, A., Tio, F., Hecht, J. and Cusi, K. (2014), Relationship between disease severity, hyperinsulinemia, and impaired insulin clearance in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology, 59: 2178–2187. doi: 10.1002/hep.26988
This work was supported by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund (to K.C.), the American Diabetes Association (1-08-CR-08; to K. C.), and a VA Merit Award (1 I01 CX000167-01; to K. C.).
- Issue online: 28 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 23 DEC 2013 03:34AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 AUG 2013
- 1Insulin degradation: progress and potential. Endocr Rev 1998;19:608–624., , .
- 2Effect of liver fat on insulin clearance. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007;293:E1709–E1715., , , , .
- 3Prevalence of prediabetes and diabetes and metabolic profile of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Diabetes Care 2012;35:873–878., , , , , , et al.
- 4Association between diabetes, family history of diabetes, and risk of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and fibrosis. Hepatology 2012;56:943–951., , , , , , et al.
- 5Insulin resistance in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Curr Pharm Des 2010;16:1941–1951., , , .
- 6Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Liver Dis 2012;16:397–419., , .
- 7Increased liver fat, impaired insulin clearance, and hepatic and adipose tissue insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. Gastroenterology 2008;135:122–130., , , , .
- 8Splanchnic insulin metabolism in obesity. Influence of body fat distribution. J Clin Invest 1986;78:1648–1657., , , , .
- 9Relationship between hepatic/visceral fat and hepatic insulin resistance in nondiabetic and type 2 diabetic subjects. Gastroenterology 2007;133:496–506., , , , , , et al.
- 10Beta-cell “rest” accompanies reduced first-pass hepatic insulin extraction in the insulin-resistant, fat-fed canine model. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007;292:E1581–E1589., , , .
- 11Hyperinsulinemia in african-american children: decreased insulin clearance and increased insulin secretion and its relationship to insulin sensitivity. Diabetes 2002;51:3014–3019., , , , .
- 12Alterations in immunoreactive proinsulin and insulin-clearance induced by weight-loss in NIDDM. Diabetes 1994;43:871–877., , , , , .
- 13Hyperinsulinemia of obesity is due to decreased clearance of insulin. Am J Physiol 1983;245:E155–E159., , .
- 14The kinetics of insulin metabolism in diabetes mellitus. Postgrad Med J 1973;49(Suppl 7):949–954., , , , .
- 15Role of obesity and lipotoxicity in the development of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: pathophysiology and clinical implications. Gastroenterology 2012;142:711–725.e716..
- 16Role of ethnicity in overweight and obese patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology 2011;54:837–845., , , , , , et al.
- 17American Diabetes A. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2013;36(Suppl 1):S67–S74.
- 18Reduced hepatic insulin extraction in response to gastric inhibitory polypeptide compensates for reduced insulin secretion in normal-weight and normal glucose tolerant first-degree relatives of type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes 2004;53:2359–2365., , .
- 19Magnetic resonance spectroscopy to measure hepatic triglyceride content: prevalence of hepatic steatosis in the general population. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2005;288:E462–E468., , , , , , et al.
- 20A sustained increase in plasma free fatty acids impairs insulin secretion in nondiabetic subjects genetically predisposed to develop type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2003;52:2461–2474., , , , , , et al.
- 21Endpoints and clinical trial design for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology 2011;54:344–353., , , , , , et al.
- 22Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) activity score and the histopathologic diagnosis in NAFLD: distinct clinicopathologic meanings. Hepatology 2011;53:810–820., , , , , .
- 23A high fasting plasma insulin concentration predicts type 2 diabetes independent of insulin resistance: evidence for a pathogenic role of relative hyperinsulinemia. Diabetes 2000;49:2094–2101., , , , .
- 24Insulin resistance, insulin response, and obesity as indicators of metabolic risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007;92:2885–2892., , , , , , et al.
- 25Hyperinsulinemia predicts fatal liver cancer but is inversely associated with fatal cancer at some other sites: the Paris Prospective Study. Diabetes Care 2001;24:843–849., , , , ; .
- 26Correlation between liver histology and novel magnetic resonance imaging in adult patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease—MRI accurately quantifies hepatic steatosis in NAFLD. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2012;36:22–29., , , , , , .
- 27The challenge of managing dyslipidemia in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Lipidol 2012;7:471–481., , .
- 28Cardiovascular disease and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: does histologic severity matter? J Clin Gastroenterol 2012;46:427–430., , .
- 29A novel diagnostic biomarker panel for obesity-related nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). Obes Surg 2008;18:1430–1437., , , , , , et al.
- 30Inflammatory markers and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 2013;36:166–175., , , , , , et al.
- 31Kupffer cell activation is a causal factor for hepatic insulin resistance. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2010;298:G107–G116., , , , , .
- 32The metabolic syndrome: how it may influence hepatic stellate cell activation and hepatic fibrosis. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2009;12:404–411., , .