Fetal hippocampal CA3 cell grafts enriched with fibroblast growth factor-2 exhibit enhanced neuronal integration into the lesioned aging rat hippocampus in a kainate model of temporal lobe epilepsy
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 13, Issue 5, pages 618–632, 2003
How to Cite
Zaman, V. and Shetty, A. K. (2003), Fetal hippocampal CA3 cell grafts enriched with fibroblast growth factor-2 exhibit enhanced neuronal integration into the lesioned aging rat hippocampus in a kainate model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Hippocampus, 13: 618–632. doi: 10.1002/hipo.10091
- Issue online: 10 APR 2003
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUN 2002
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Grant Number: NS36741
- 1990. Mosaic organization of the hippocampal neuroepithelium and the multiple germinal sources of dentate granule cells. J Comp Neurol 301: 325–3421. , .
- 1997. Neuronal cell loss in the CA3 subfield of the hippocampus following cortical contusion utilizing the optical dissector method for cell counting. J Neurotrauma 14: 485–398. , , , , , .
- 1991. Hippocampal damage and kainic acid injection induce a rapid increase in mRNA for BDNF and NGF in the rat brain. Exp Neurol 114: 35–43. , , , .
- 1985. Limbic seizures and brain damage produced by kainic acid: mechanisms and relevance to human temporal lobe epilepsy. Neuroscience 14: 375–403. .
- 1997. Neurochemical changes in the hippocampus of the brown Norway rat during aging. Neurobiol Aging 18: 319–327. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell replacement therapies for central nervous system disorders. Nature Neurosci 3: 537–544. , .
- 1998. Bilateral fetal striatal grafts in the 3-nitropropionic acid-induced hypoactive model of Huntington's disease. Cell Transplant 7: 131–135. , , , , .
- 1993. Optimized survival of hippocampal neurons in B27-supplemented Neurobasal, a new serum-free medium combination. J Neurosci Res 35: 567–576. , , , .
- 1999. Regeneration and proliferation of embryonic and adult rat hippocampal neurons in culture. Exp Neurol 159: 237–247. .
- 2000. Improving the survival of grafted dopaminergic neurons: a review over current approaches. Cell Transplant 9: 179–195. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuron loss, granule cell axon re-organization, and functional changes in the dentate gyrus of epileptic kainate treated rats. J Comp Neurol 385: 385–404. , .
- 1999. Highly specific neuron loss preserves lateral inhibitory circuits in the dentate gyrus of kainate-induced epileptic rats. J Neurosci 19: 9519–9529. , .
- 1994. aFGF, bFGF and flg mRNAs show distinct patterns of induction in the hippocampus following kainate-induced seizures. Eur J Neurosci 6: 58–66. , , , , , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factor 2 activation of stromal cell vascular endothelial growth factor expression and angiogenesis. Lab Invest 81: 61–75. , , , , , .
- 2001. IGF-I and bFGF improve dopamine neuron survival and behavioral outcome in parkinsonian rats receiving cultured human fetal tissue strands. Exp Neurol 168: 183–191. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Diminished viability, growth, and behavioral efficacy of fetal dopamine neuron grafts in aging rats with long-term dopamine depletion: an argument for neurotrophic supplementation. J Neurosci 13: 5563–5573. , , .
- 2001. Mitochondrial enzyme-deficient hippocampal neurons and choroidal cells in AD. Neurology 57: 260–264. , , , , .
- 1999. Changing presentation of seizures with aging: clinical and etiological factors. Gerontology 45: 329–335. .
- 1992. BDNF mRNA expression in the developing rat brain following kainic acid-induced seizure activity. Neuron 8: 1127–1138. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Functional repair of striatal systems by neural transplants: evidence of circuit reconstruction. Behav Brain Res 66: 133–142. .
- 2001. FGF induces a switch in death receptor pathways in neuronal cells. J Neurosci 21: 4996–5006. , , , , .
- 1999. Epidemiology and drug treatment of epilepsy in the elderly. Drugs Aging 15: 255–269. .
- 1997. FGF-2 induces nerve growth factor expression in cultured rat hippocampal neurons. Eur J Neurosci 9: 1282–1289. , , , , , .
- 2001. Neural transplantation in Parkinson's disease. Adv Neurol 86: 435–45. , , , , .
- 1995. Survival and differentiation of adult neural progenitor cells transplanted to the adult brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 11879–11183. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Kainic acid-induced seizures stimulate increased expression of nerve growth factor mRNA in rat hippocampus. Mol Brain Res 9: 113–123. , , .
- 1999. Treatment of epilepsy in the elderly. Prog Neurobiol 58: 389–407. , , , .
- 2000. Function of fibroblast growth factors and vascular endothelial growth factors and their receptors in angiogenesis. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 34: 185–194. , , .
- 1998. BDNF, and full length and truncated trkB expression in the hippocampus of the rat following kainic acid excitotoxic damage. Evidence of complex time-dependent and cell-specific responses. Mol Brain Res 59: 154–164. , , .
- 1996. Mitochondrial defect in Huntington's disease caudate nucleus. Ann Neurol 39: 385–389. , , , , , .
- 1986. Stereology of arbitrary particles. A review of unbiased number and size estimators and the presentation of some new ones. J Microsc 143: 3–45. .
- 1987. The efficiency of systematic sampling in stereology and its prediction. J Microsc 147: 229–263. , .
- 1995. Insulin-like growth factor-1 mRNA is increased in deafferented hippocampus: spatio-temporal correspondence of a trophic event with axon sprouting. J Comp Neurol 352: 147–160. , , .
- 1995. Neuropathological evidence of graft survival and striatal reinnervation after the transplantation of fetal mesencephalic tissue in a patient with Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 332: 1118–1124. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fetal nigral grafts survive and mediate clinical benefit in a patient with Parkinson's disease. Movement Disord 13: 383–393. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Prolonged increases in neurotrophic activity associated with kainate-induced hippocampal synaptic reorganization. Neuroscience 56: 597–604. , , .
- 1993. Basic FGF regulates the expression of a functional 71 kDa NMDA receptor protein that mediates calcium influx and neurotoxicity in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 13: 4575–4588. , , , , .
- 1991. Hippocampal neurons transplanted into ischemically lesioned hippocampus: anatomical assessment of survival, maturation and integration. Exp Brain Res 86: 233–247. , .
- 1978. Intraventricular kainic acid preferentially destroys hippocampal pyramidal cells. Nature 271: 676–677. , , .
- 1980a. Degeneration of hippocampal CA3 pyramidal cells induced by intraventricular kainic acid. J Comp Neurol 192: 333–359. , , , .
- 1980b. Selective reinnervation of hippocampal area CA1 and the fascia dentata after destruction of CA3-CA4 afferents with kainic acid. Brain Res 182: 1–9. , , .
- 1995. Hippocampal mossy fiber sprouting and synapse formation after status epilepticus in rats: visualization after retrograde transport of biocytin. J Comp Neurol 352: 515–534. , , .
- 1999. Recurrent mossy fiber pathway in rat dentate gyrus: synaptic currents evoked in presence and absence of seizure-induced growth. J Neurophysiol 81: 1645–1660. , , .
- 1996. Fetal nigral transplantation as a therapy for Parkinson's disease. Trends Neurosci 19: 102–109. , , .
- 1994. Are you using neuronal densities, synaptic densities or neurochemical densities as your definitive data? There is a better way to go. Prog Neurobiol 44: 233–247. .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor-2 activates a latent neurogenic program in neural stem cells from diverse regions of the adult CNS. J Neurosci 19: 8487–8497. , , , , .
- 1998. Endogenous BDNF protein is increased in adult rat hippocampus after a kainic acid induced excitotoxic insult but exogenous BDNF is not neuroprotective. Exp Neurol 149: 398–410. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Biomarkers of 3-nitropropionic acid (3-NPA)-induced mitochondrial dysfunction as indicators of neuroprotection. Ann NY Acad Sci 939: 381–392. , , , .
- 1994. Increased NGF-like activity in young but not aged rat hippocampus after septal lesions. Neurobiol Aging 15: 337–346. , , , .
- 2001. Fetal hippocampal CA3 cell grafts into the lesioned adult CA3 region restore host hippocampal calbindin expression in a rat model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Soc Neurosci Abs 27. .
- 2002. Entorhinal axons exhibit sprouting in CA1 subfield of the adult hippocampus in a rat model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Hippocampus 12: 534–542. .
- 1995a. Enhanced cell survival in fetal hippocampal suspension transplants grafted to adult rat hippocampus following kainate lesions: a three-dimensional graft reconstruction study. Neuroscience 67: 561–582. , .
- 1995b. Non-phosphorylated neurofilament protein immunoreactivity in adult and developing rat hippocampus: specificity and application in grafting studies. Brain Res 676: 293–306. , .
- 1996. Development of fetal hippocampal grafts in intact and lesioned hippocampus. Prog Neurobiol 50: 597–653. , .
- 1997a. Development of long-distance efferent projections from fetal hippocampal grafts depends upon pathway specificity and graft location in kainate-lesioned adult hippocampus. Neuroscience 76: 1205–1219. , .
- 1997b. Fetal hippocampal cells grafted to kainate-lesioned CA3 region of adult hippocampus suppress aberrant supragranular sprouting of host mossy fibers. Exp Neurol 143: 231–245. , .
- 1998. In vitro survival and differentiation of neurons derived from epidermal growth factor-responsive postnatal hippocampal stem cells: inducing effects of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neurobiol 35: 395–425. , .
- 1999a. Aging impairs axonal sprouting response of dentate granule cells following target loss and partial deafferentation. J Comp Neurol 414: 238–254. , .
- 1999b. Vulnerability of the dentate gyrus to aging and intracerebroventricular administration of kainic acid. Exp Neurol 158: 491–503. , .
- 1999c. Stem cells from fetal hippocampal field CA3 proliferate in response to FGF or EGF, and differentiate into field-specific phenotypic neurons. Soc Neurosci Abs 25. , .
- 2000. Fetal hippocampal transplants containing CA3 Cells restore host hippocampal interneuron numbers in a rat model of temporal lobe epilepsy. J Neurosci 20: 8788–8801. , .
- 1994. Quantitative graft integration of fetal hippocampal transplants labeled with 5′ bromodeoxyuridine into normal adult hippocampus. Exp Neurol 126: 205–224. , , , .
- 2000. Pattern of long-distance projections from fetal hippocampal field CA3 and CA1 cell grafts in lesioned CA3 of adult hippocampus follows intrinsic character of respective donor cells. Neuroscience 99: 243–255. , , .
- 1996. Selective hippocampal lesions differentially affects the phenotypic fate of transplanted neuronal precursor cells. Exp Neurol 139: 61–72. , , .
- 1994. Kainic acid seizures in the rat. Prog Neurobiol 42: 1–32. .
- 1984. The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the dissector. J Microsc 134: 127–136. .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factor-2 promotes axon branching of cortical neurons by influencing morphology and behavior of the primary growth cone. J Neurosci 21: 3932–3941 , , , , , .
- 1995. Basic fibroblast growth factor increases dopaminergic graft survival and function in a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Nat Med 1: 53–58. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Growth factors prevent changes in Bcl-2 and Bax expression and neuronal apoptosis induced by nitric oxide. Cell Death Differ 5: 911–919. , , , .
- 1996. Neural grafting of cholinergic neurons in the hippocampal formation. Behav Brain Res 74: 25–44. , , , .
- 1995. Neural transplantation to the normal and lesioned brain: an experimental study of the rat hippocampus. Acta Neurol Scand 91: 6–30. .
- 2000. Implantation of bioactive growth factor-secreting rods enhances fetal dopaminergic graft survival, outgrowth density, and functional recovery in a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Exp Neurol 164: 130–138. , , , , .
- 2000. Induction of activin A is essential for the neuroprotective action of basic fibroblast growth factor in vivo. Nat Med 6: 812–815. , , , , , .
- 1991. Excitatory synaptic potentials in kainic-acid denervated rat CA1 pyramidal neurons. J Neurosci 11: 2786–2794. , .
- 1999. Stimulation of neonatal and adult brain neurogenesis by subcutaneous injection of basic fibroblast growth factor. J Neurosci 19: 6006–6016. , , .
- 1988. basic and acidic fibroblast growth factors have trophic effects on neurons from multiple CNS regions. J Neurosci 8: 2618–2627. .
- 1991. Unbiased stereological estimation of the total number of neurons in subdivisions of the rat hippocampus using the optical fractionator. Anat Rec 231: 482–497. , , .
- 1992. Effects of transplantation of fetal hippocampal or hindbrain tissue into the brains of adult rats with hippocampal lesions on water maze acquisition. Behav Neurosci 106: 39–50. , , .
- 1998. Deafferentation-induced increases in hippocampal IGF-1 mRNA expression are severely attenuated in middle aged and aged rats. Neuroscience 83: 663–668. , , , .
- 2001. Differential expression of GDNF, BDNF, and NT-3 in the aging nigrostriatal system following a neurotoxic lesion. Brain Res 89: 228–235. , .
- 2001. Fetal hippocampal CA3 cell grafts transplanted to lesioned CA3 region of the adult hippocampus exhibit long-term survival in a rat model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurobiol Dis 8: 942–952. , .
- 2002. Combined neurotrophic supplementation and Caspase inhibition enhances survival of fetal hippocampal CA3 cell grafts in lesioned CA3 region of the aging hippocampus. Neuroscience 109: 537–553. , .
- 2000. Survival of grafted fetal neural cells in kainic acid lesioned CA3 region of adult hippocampus depends upon cell specificity. Exp Neurol 161: 535–561. , , .
- 2001. Prolonged post-lesion transplantation delay adversely influences survival of both homotopic and heterotopic fetal hippocampal cell grafts in kainate-lesioned CA3 region of adult hippocampus. Cell Transplant 10: 41–52. , , .
- 1998. Growth factors improve immediate survival of embryonic dopamine neurons after transplantation into rats. Brain Res 786: 96–103. , , , , , .