Contribution of NMDA receptor channels to the expression of LTP in the hippocampal dentate gyrus
Article first published online: 14 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Recent Developments in Hippocampal Plasticity
Volume 12, Issue 5, pages 680–688, 2002
How to Cite
Wang, Z., Song, D. and Berger, T. W. (2002), Contribution of NMDA receptor channels to the expression of LTP in the hippocampal dentate gyrus. Hippocampus, 12: 680–688. doi: 10.1002/hipo.10104
- Issue published online: 14 OCT 2002
- Article first published online: 14 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2002
- Office of Naval Research
- National Centers for Research Resources (Biomedical Simulations Resource)
- 1999. Role of multiple calcium and calcium-dependent conductances in regulation of hippocampal dentate granule cell excitability. J Comput Neurosci 6: 215–235. , .
- 1991. Long-term potentiation of NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic transmission in the hippocampus. Nature 349: 156–158. , , , , .
- 2000. Afferent high strength tetanizations favour potentiation of the NMDA vs. AMPA receptor-mediated component of field EPSP in CA1 hippocampal slices of rats. Brain Res 866: 188–196. , .
- 1984. Long-term potentiation of hippocampal synaptic transmission affects rate of behavioral learning. Science 224: 627–630. .
- 1983. Single-unit analysis of different hippocampal cell types during classical conditioning of rabbit nictitating membrane response. J Neurophysiol 50: 1197–1219. , , , .
- 1992. Characterization in vivo of the NMDA receptor-mediated component of dentate granule cell population synaptic responses to perforant path input. Hippocampus 2: 373–388. , .
- 1993. A synaptic model of memory: long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Nature 361: 31–39. , .
- 1999. Distinct functional types of associative long-term potentiation in neocortical and hippocampal pyramidal neurons. J Neurosci 19: 6748–6754. .
- 1990. Quantitative, three-dimensional analysis of granule cell dendrites in the rat dentate gyrus. J Comp Neurol 302: 206–219. , , .
- 1995. Synaptic potentiation of dual-component excitatory postsynaptic currents in the rat hippocampus. J Physiol 482: 39–52. , .
- 1988. Frequency-dependent N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-mediated synaptic transmission in rat hippocampus. J Physiol 399: 301–312. , , .
- 1984. Dendritic caliber and the 3/2 power relationship of dentate granule cells. J Comp Neurol 227: 589–596. , .
- 1985. Granule cell dendritic spine density in the rat hippocampus varies with spine shape and location. Neurosci Lett 54: 219–224. , .
- 1986. Frequency-dependent involvement of NMDA receptors in the hippocampus: a novel synaptic mechanism. Nature 322: 265–268. , , , .
- 1997. The NEURON simulation environment. Neural Comput 9: 1179–1209. , .
- 1997. Regulation of the NMDA component of EPSPs by different components of postsynaptic GABAergic inhibition: computer simulation analysis in piriform cortex. J Neurophysiol 78: 2546–2559. , , , .
- 1988. A persistent postsynaptic modification mediates long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Neuron 1: 911–917. , , .
- 1999. Determining the activation time course of synaptic AMPA receptors from openings of colocalized NMDA receptors. Biophys J 77: 1418–1427. , .
- 1988. Role of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in the induction of synaptic potentiation by burst stimulation patterned after the hippocampal theta- rhythm. Brain Res 441: 111–118. , .
- 1990. Channel kinetics determine the time course of NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic currents. Nature 346: 565–567. , , , .
- 1984. The biochemistry of memory: a new and specific hypothesis. Science 224: 1057–1063. , .
- 2000. NMDA receptor-dependent plasticity of granule cell spiking in the dentate gyrus of normal and epileptic rats. J Neurophysiol 84: 2868–2879. , , , .
- 1986. NMDA-receptor activation increases cytoplasmic calcium concentration in cultured spinal cord neurones. Nature 321: 519–522. , , , , .
- 1998. Electrical and calcium signaling in dendrites of hippocampal pyramidal neurons. Annu Rev Physiol 60: 327–346. , , , .
- 1981. Synaptic efficacy and EPSP summation in granule cells of rat fascia dentata studied in vitro. J Neurophysiol 46: 952–966. , , .
- 1988. Long-term potentiation differentially affects two components of synaptic responses in hippocampus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85: 9346–9350. , .
- 1988. Contributions of quisqualate and NMDA receptors to the induction and expression of LTP. Science 242: 1694–1697. , , .
- 1989. The NMDA receptor-mediated components of responses evoked by patterned stimulation are not increased by long-term potentiation. Brain Res 477: 396–399. , , .
- 1984. Magnesium gates glutamate-activated channels in mouse central neurones. Nature 307: 462–465. , , , , .
- 1995. Tetanically induced LTP involves a similar increase in the AMPA and NMDA receptor components of the excitatory postsynaptic current: investigations of the involvement of mGlu receptors. J Neurosci 15: 2013–2020. , , .
- 1998. Glutamate receptors in the mammalian central nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 54: 581–618. , , .
- 1998. Short-term facilitation evoked during brief afferent tetani is not altered by long-term potentiation in the guinea-pig hippocampal CA1 region. J Physiol (Lond) 508: 503–514. , , .
- 1993. Evidence for all-or-none regulation of neurotransmitter release: implications for long-term potentiation. J Physiol 471: 481–500. , .
- 2001. Influence of dendritic conductances on the input-output properties of neurons. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: 653–675. .
- 1999. Hippocampal long-term potentiation preserves the fidelity of postsynaptic responses to presynaptic bursts. J Neurosci 19: 1236–1246. , , .
- 1993. Computer simulations of NMDA and non-NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic drive: sensory and supraspinal modulation of neurons and small networks. J Neurophysiol 70: 695–709. , , , , , .
- 1981. Dentate granule cell discharge during conditioning. Relation to movement and theta rhythm. Exp Brain Res 44: 287–294. , , , .
- 2000. Hippocampal neurons encode information about different types of memory episodes occurring in the same location. Neuron 27: 623–633. , , , .
- 1996. Activity-dependent decay of early LTP revealed by dual EPSP recording in hippocampal slices from young rats. Eur J Neurosci 8: 1916–1923. , , .
- 1992. Isolated NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic responses express both LTP and LTD. J Neurophysiol 67: 1009–1013. , , .
- 1989. Short-term synaptic plasticity. Annu Rev Neurosci 12: 13–31. .