Rapid induction of BDNF expression in the hippocampus during immobilization stress challenge in adult rats
Article first published online: 10 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 13, Issue 5, pages 646–655, 2003
How to Cite
Marmigère, F., Givalois, L., Rage, F., Arancibia, S. and Tapia-Arancibia, L. (2003), Rapid induction of BDNF expression in the hippocampus during immobilization stress challenge in adult rats. Hippocampus, 13: 646–655. doi: 10.1002/hipo.10109
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 10 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2002
- Jeune Equipe
- NARSAD. Grant Number: YI 2000
- 2001. Acute stress and dexamethasone rapidly increase hippocampal somatostatin synthesis and release from the dentate gyrus hilus. Hippocampus 11: 469–477. , , , .
- 1989. Trophic factors and neuronal survival. Neuron 2: 1525–1534. .
- 1993. Role of somatostatin in the acute immobilization stress-induced GH decrease in rat. Life Sci 52: 361–370. , , , .
- 1994. Alternate 5′ exons in the rat brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene: differential patterns of expression across brain regions. Mol Brain Res 26: 225–232. , , .
- 1993. The induction of LTP increases BDNF and NGF mRNA but decreases NT-3 mRNA in the dentate gyrus. NeuroReport 4: 895–898. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162: 156–159. , .
- 1997. Distribution of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) protein and mRNA in the normal adult rat CNS: evidence for anterograde axonal transport. J Neurosci 17: 2295–2313. , , , , .
- 1998. The role of neuronal growth factors in neurodegenerative disorders of the human brain. Brain Res Rev 27: 1–39. , .
- 1993. Glucocorticoids depress activity-dependent expression of BDNF mRNA in hippocampal neurones. NeuroReport 4: 527–530. , , , , .
- 1999. Stress and cognition: are corticosteroids good or bad guys? Trends Neurosci 22: 422–426. , , .
- 1998. Stress and glucocorticoids impair retrieval of long-term spatial memory. Nature 394: 787–790. , , .
- 1993. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression after long-term potentiation. Neurosci Lett 160: 232–236. , , , , , .
- 1999. The hippocampus, memory, and place cells: is it spatial memory or a memory space? Neuron 23: 209–226. , , , , .
- 1992. Increased expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor mRNA in rat hippocampus is associated with improved spatial memory and enriched environment. Neurosci Lett 138: 153–156. , , , , , .
- 1996. Glutamate release correlates with brain-derived neurotrophic factor and trkB mRNA expression of the CA1 region of rat hippocampus. Mol Brain Res 42: 317–327. , , , , .
- 1993. NMDA-stimulated expression of BDNF mRNA in cultured cerebellar granule neurons. NeuroReport 4: 1171–1174. , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of synaptic responses to high-frequency stimulation and LTP by neurotrophins in the hippocampus. Nature 381: 706–709. , , , , .
- 2000. Concomitant changes in CRH mRNA levels in rat hippocampus and hypothalamus following immobilization stress. Mol Brain Res 75: 166–171. , , .
- 2001. Immobilization stress rapidly and differentially modulate BDNF and TrkB mRNA expression in the pituitary gland of adult male rats. Neuroendocrinology 74: 148–159. , , , , , .
- 1998. Proliferation of granule cell precursors in the dentate gyrus of adult monkeys is diminished by stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 3168–3171. , , , , .
- 2000. Rapid and selective induction of BDNF expression in the hippocampus during contextual learning. Nat Neurosci 3: 533–535. , , .
- 2000. Synapsins as mediators of BDNF-enhanced neurotransmitter release. Nat Neurosci 3: 323–329. , , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophin-evoked rapid excitation through TrkB receptors. Nature 401: 918–921. , , , .
- 1996. Behavioral stress modifies hippocampal plasticity through N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 4750–4753. , , .
- 1998. Stress: metaplastic effects in the hippocampus. Trends Neurosci 21: 505–509. , .
- 1995. Hippocampal long-term potentiation is impaired in mice lacking brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 8856–8860. , , , , , .
- 1998. Transcript-specific effects of adrenalectomy on seizure-induced BDNF expression in rat hippocampus. Mol Brain Res 55: 81–91. , , , , .
- 1994. BDNF and NT-4/5 enhance glutamatergic synaptic transmission in cultured hippocampal neurones. NeuroReport 6: 21–25. , , .
- 1995. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor rapidly enhances synaptic transmission in hippocampal neurons via postsynaptic tyrosine kinase receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 8074–8077. , , , .
- 1998. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates hippocampal synaptic transmission by increasing N-methyl-D-aspartic acid receptor activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 10235–10239. , , , .
- 1996. Physiology of the neurotrophins. Annu Rev Neurosci 19: 289–317. , .
- 1998. Enhancement of neurotransmitter release induced by brain-derived neurotrophic factor in cultured hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 18: 10231–10240. , , , , .
- 1994. Activity-dependent and hormonal regulation of neurotrophin mRNA levels in the brain. Implications for neuronal plasticity. J Neurobiol 25: 1362–1372. , , , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophins and brain insults. Trends Neurosci 17: 490–496. , , , , .
- 1997. The acute effects of corticosteroids on cognition: integration of animal and human model studies. Brain Res Rev 24: 1–27. , .
- 1996. RNase protection assay. Methods Enzymol 10: 273–278. , , , .
- 1996. Chronic psychosocial stress causes apical dendritic atrophy of hippocampal CA3 pyramidal neurons in subordinate tree shrews. J Neurosci 16: 3534–3540. , , , .
- 1991. Human and rat brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3: gene structures, distributions, and chromosomal localizations. Genomics 10: 558–568. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of mRNAs encoding BDNF and its receptors in adult rat hypothalamus. NeuroReport 9: 1159–1163. , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor transcripts by neuronal activation in rat hypothalamic neurons. J Neurosci Res 66: 377–389. , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophins and synaptic plasticity. Annu Rev Neurosci 22: 295–318. , , .
- 1995. Stress and cognitive function. Curr Opin Neurobiol 5: 205–216. , .
- 1999. Corticosteroids, the aging brain and cognition. Trends Endocrinol Metab 10: 92–96. , , , .
- 1993. Differential usage of multiple brain-derived neurotrophic factor promoters in the rat brain following neuronal activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 8802–8806. , , , .
- 1993. Stress preferentially increases extraneuronal levels of excitatory amino acids in the prefrontal cortex: comparison to hippocampus and basal ganglia. J Neurochem 60: 1650–1657. .
- 1995. BDNF protein measured by a novel enzyme immunoassay in normal brain and after seizure: partial disagreement with mRNA levels. Eur J Neurosci 7: 1527–1535. , , .
- 1998. Neurotrophin-7: a novel member of the neurotrophin family from the zebrafish. FEBS Lett 424: 285–290. , , , .
- 1991. Long-term potentiation in the hippocampus is blocked by tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Nature 353: 558–560. , , .
- 1992. Neurotrophin expression in rat hippocampal slices: a stimulus paradigm inducing LTP in CA1 evokes increases in BDNF and NT-3 mRNAs. Neuron 9: 1081–1088. , , , .
- 1996. Recombinant BDNF rescues deficits in basal synaptic transmission and hippocampal LTP in BDNF knockout mice. Neuron 16: 1137–1145. , , , , , .
- 1997 The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. , .
- 2001. Neurotrophins as synaptic modulators. Nature Rev Neurosci 2: 24–32. .
- 1999. Impairments in high-frequency transmission, synaptic vesicle docking, and synaptic protein distribution in the hippocampus of BDNF knockout mice. J Neurosci 19: 4972–4983. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. BDNF potentiates spontaneous Ca2+ oscillations in cultured hippocampal neurons. Brain Res 778: 318–328. , , , , .
- 2000. Glucocorticoids and hippocampal atrophy in neuropsychiatry disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 37: 925–935. .
- 2000. Corticosterone effects on BDNF expression in the hippocampus. Implications for memory formation. Stress 3: 201–208. , , .
- 2000. The neurotrophin hypothesis for synaptic plasticity. Trends Neurosci 23: 639–645. , .
- 2001. Acute stress rapidly and persistently enhances memory formation in the male rat. Neurobiol Learn Mem 75: 10–29. .
- 1989. Inescapable versus escapable shock modulates long-term potentiation in the rat hippocampus. Science 244: 224–226. , , , .
- 1996. Hippocampal vulnerability to stress and aging: possible role of neurotrophic factors. Behav Brain Res 78: 25–36. .
- 1995. Stress and glucocorticoids affect the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3 mRNAs in the hippocampus. J Neurosci 15: 1768–1777. , , , .
- 1995. Neurotrophins and neuronal plasticity. Science 270: 593–598. .
- 1993. Multiple promoters direct tissue-specific expression of the rat BDNF gene. Neuron 10: 475–489. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Identification of brain-derived neurotrophic factor promoter regions mediation tissue-specific, axotomy-, and neuronal activity-induced expression in transgenic mice. J Cell Biol 128: 185–199. , , , , , .
- 1997. Immobilization stress reduced the expression of neurotrophins and their receptors in the rat brain. Neurosci Res 28: 103–110. , , , , , .
- 1999. Rapid glucocorticoid effects on excitatory amino acid levels in the hippocampus: a microdialysis study in freely moving rats. Eur J Neurosci 11: 2464–2473. , .
- 1992. Stress induces atrophy of apical dendrites of hippocampal CA3 pyramidal neurons. Brain Res 588: 341–345. , , .