Caudate nucleus-dependent navigational strategies are associated with increased use of addictive drugs
Article first published online: 25 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 23, Issue 11, pages 973–984, November 2013
How to Cite
Bohbot, V. D., Del Balso, D., Conrad, K., Konishi, K. and Leyton, M. (2013), Caudate nucleus-dependent navigational strategies are associated with increased use of addictive drugs. Hippocampus, 23: 973–984. doi: 10.1002/hipo.22187
- Issue published online: 25 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 25 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 AUG 2013 08:06AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 AUG 2013
- NSERC . Grant Number: 239896
- 1996. Relationship between up-regulation of nicotine binding sites in rat brain and delayed cognitive enhancement observed after chronic or acute nicotinic receptor stimulation. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 124:323–331. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nicotine self-administration impairs hippocampal plasticity. J Neurosci 22:3656–3662. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Damage limited to the hippocampal region produces long-lasting memory impairment in monkeys. J Neurosci 15(5 Pt 2):3796–3807. , , .
- 2009. Repeated high-frequency transcranial magnetic stimulation over the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex reduces cigarette craving and consumption. Addiction 104:653–660. , , , , .
- 2011. Structural MRI correlates for vulnerability and resilience to major depressive disorder. J Psychiatry Neurosci 36:15–22. , , , , , .
- 2006. Conversion of mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer disease predicted by hippocampal atrophy maps. Arch Neurol 63:693–699. , , , , , , .
- 2010. MDMA (“ecstasy”) impairs learning in the Morris Water Maze and reduces hippocampal LTP in young rats. Neurosci Lett 469:375–379. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The BDNF val66met polymorphism is associated with reduced fMRI activity in the hippocampus and increased use of caudate nucleus-dependent strategies in a human virtual navigation. Eur J Neurosci 33:968–977. , , , , .
- 1980. Spatial memory deficit in senescent rats. Can J Psychol 34:29–39. , , .
- 2008. The role of dopamine in alcohol self-administration in humans: Individual differences. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:439–447. , , , , , .
- 2011. Disrupting effect of drug-induced reward on spatial but not cue-guided learning: Implication of the striatal protein kinase A/cAMP response element-binding protein pathway. J Neurosci 31:16517–16528. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Responses to novelty and vulnerability to cocaine addiction: Contribution of a multi-symptomatic animal model. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2:1–20. , .
- 1999. Effects of nicotine on spatial learning in C57BL mice. Behav Pharmacol 10:333–336. , , , .
- 1998. Spatial memory deficits in patients with lesions to the right hippocampus and to the right parahippocampal cortex. Neuropsychologia 36:1217–1238. , , , , , .
- 2004. Hippocampal function and spatial memory: Evidence from functional neuroimaging in healthy participants and performance of patients with medial temporal lobe resections. Neuropsychology 18:418–425. , , .
- 2007. Gray matter differences correlate with spontaneous strategies in a human virtual navigation task. J Neurosci 27:10078–10083. , , , , .
- 2012. Virtual navigation strategies from childhood to senescence: Evidence for changes across the life span. Front Aging Neurosci 4:28;1–10. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Conditioned dopamine release in humans: A positron emission tomography [11C]raclopride study with amphetamine. J Neurosci 27:3998–4003. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Which way was I going? Contextual retrieval supports the disambiguation of well learned overlapping navigational routes. J Neurosci 30:7414–7422. , , , , .
- 2006. BDNF Val66Met allele is associated with reduced hippocampal volume in healthy subjects. Biol Psychiatry 59:812–815. , , , , , .
- 2013. Sensitivity and specificity of a brief personality screening instrument in predicting future substance use, emotional, and behavioral problems: 18-month predictive validity of the Substance Use Risk Profile Scale. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 37 (Suppl 1):E281–E290. , , , .
- 2003. Switching memory systems during learning: Changes in patterns of brain acetylcholine release in the hippocampus and striatum in rats. J Neurosci 23:3001–3005. , .
- 2012. Orbitofrontal volumes in early adolescence predict initiation of cannabis use: A 4-year longitudinal and prospective study. Biol Psychiatry 71:684–692. , , , , , .
- 1996. Chronic stress impairs rat spatial memory on the Y maze, and this effect is blocked by tianeptine pretreatment. Behav Neurosci 110:1321–1334. , , , .
- 2002. Wheel-running attenuates intravenous cocaine self-administration in rats: Sex differences. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73:663–671. , , .
- 2009. Striatal dopamine responses to intranasal cocaine self-administration in humans. Biol Psychiatry 65:846–850. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Increased activity and grey matter in the orbitofrontal cortex associated with hippocampus-dependent spatial learning. In: Baycrest 23rd Annual Neuroscience Conference Abstracts, Toronto, ON, Canada. , .
- 2002. Alcohol seeking by rats: Action or habit? Q J Exp Psychol B 55:331–348. , , .
- 2005. Virtual navigation in humans: The impact of age, sex, and hormones on place learning. Horm Behav 47:326–335. , , , , .
- 1990. Hippocampal representation in place learning. J Neurosci 10:3531–3542. , , .
- 2010. Striatal volume predicts level of video game skill acquisition. Cereb Cortex 20:2522–2530. , , , , , , , , , , Kramer AF.
- 2011. Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108:3017–3022. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Abnormal structure of frontostriatal brain systems is associated with aspects of impulsivity and compulsivity in cocaine dependence. Brain 134 (Pt 7):2013–2024. , , , , , .
- 2012. Evidence for a virtual human analog of a rodent relational memory task: A study of aging and fMRI in young adults. Hippocampus 22:869–880. , , , , .
- 2005. Neural systems of reinforcement for drug addiction: From actions to habits to compulsion. Nat Neurosci 8:1481–1489. , .
- 2001. The neuropsychological basis of addictive behaviour. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 36:129–138. , , .
- 2010. Brain stimulation in the study and treatment of addiction. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:559–574. , .
- 2010. An animal model of genetic vulnerability to behavioral disinhibition and responsiveness to reward-related cues: Implications for addiction. Neuropsychopharmacology 35:388–400. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. A selective role for dopamine in stimulus-reward learning. Nature 469:53–57. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Feedback timing modulates brain systems for learning in humans. J Neurosci 31:13157–13167. , .
- 2009. Cocaine self-administration alters the relative effectiveness of multiple memory systems during extinction. Learn Mem 16:296–299. , , .
- 2007. Abnormal hippocampal neurochemistry in smokers: Evidence from proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 3 T. J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:80–84. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Smaller hippocampal volume predicts pathologic vulnerability to psychological trauma. Nat Neurosci 5:1242–1247. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Coordination of multiple memory systems. Neurobiol Learn Mem 82:230–242. .
- 1987. Perspectives on anxiety and impulsivity: A commentary. J Res Personality 21:493–509. .
- 2013. Methamphetamine-induced increases in putamen gray matter associate with inhibitory control. Psychopharmacology, In Press. , , , , .
- 2003. The well-worn route and the path less traveled: Distinct neural bases of route following and wayfinding in humans. Neuron 37:877–888. , , , .
- 2010. Age effects on wayfinding and route learning skills. Behav Brain Res 209:49–58. , .
- 2012. Cigarette smoking accelerated brain aging and induced pre-Alzheimer-like neuropathology in rats. PLoS One 7:e36752. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cognitive strategies dependent on the hippocampus and caudate nucleus in human navigation: Variability and change with practice. J Neurosci 23:5945–5952. , , , , .
- 2009. Reduced memory and attention performance in a population-based sample of young adults with a moderate lifetime use of cannabis, ecstasy and alcohol. J Psychopharmacol 23:495–509. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of frequent cannabis use on hippocampal activity during an associative memory task. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 17:289–297. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Chronic stress impairs spatial memory and motivation for reward without disrupting motor ability and motivation to explore. Behav Neurosci 120:842–851. , , , .
- 1998. Evidence for striatal dopamine release during a video game. Nature 393:266–268. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Amount of lifetime video gaming is positively associated with entorhinal, hippocampal and occipital volume. Mol Psychiatry. 2013 Epub. , .
- 2011. The neural basis of video gaming. Transl Psychiatry 1:e53. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Hippocampus leads ventral striatum in replay of place-reward information. PLoS Biol 7:e1000173. , , , , .
- 2011. Maze training in mice induces MRI-detectable brain shape changes specific to the type of learning. Neuroimage 54:2086–2095. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Decreased use of hippocampus–dependent spatial strategy in favor of caudate nucleus-dependent response strategy from childhood to adolescence. Society for Neuroscience 2012 Abstracts, New Orleans, LA. , , , , , .
- 2000. Orbitofrontal cortex and human drug abuse: Functional imaging. Cereb Cortex 10:334–342. , , , , .
- 2010. Chronic morphine treatment impaired hippocampal long-term potentiation and spatial memory via accumulation of extracellular adenosine acting on adenosine A1 receptors. J Neurosci 30:5058–5070. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A triple dissociation of memory systems: Hippocampus, amygdala, and dorsal striatum. Behav Neurosci 107:3–22. , .
- 1994. Parallel information processing in the water maze: Evidence for independent memory systems involving dorsal striatum and hippocampus. Behav Neural Biol 61:260–270. , .
- 1995. Stress and cognitive function. Curr Opin Neurobiol 5:205–216. , .
- 2000. Chronic social stress reduces dendritic arbors in CA3 of hippocampus and decreases binding to serotonin transporter sites. Synapse 36:85–94. , , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of access to a running wheel on food, water and ethanol intake in rats bred to accept ethanol. Drug Alcohol Depend 40:1–7. , , .
- 2003. Oral cocaine seeking by rats: Action or habit? Behav Neurosci 117:927–938. , , .
- 2012. Temperament and character modify risk of drug addiction and influence choice of drugs. Am J Addict 21:462–467. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Parallel processing across neural systems: Implications for a multiple memory system hypothesis. Neurobiol Learn Mem 82:278–298. , , , .
- 2010. Reduction of adult hippocampal neurogenesis confers vulnerability in an animal model of cocaine addiction. J Neurosci 30:304–315. , , , .
- 1978. The hippocampus as a cognitive map. Oxford: Clarendon. , .
- 1999. Glutamate infused posttraining into the hippocampus or caudate-putamen differentially strengthens place and response learning. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96:12881–12886. .
- 1996. Inactivation of hippocampus or caudate nucleus with lidocaine differentially affects expression of place and response learning. Neurobiol Learn Mem 65:65–72. , .
- 1989. Differential effects of fornix and caudate nucleus lesions on two radial maze tasks: Evidence for multiple memory systems. J Neurosci 9:1465–1472. , , .
- 2003. Neuroanatomical abnormalities before and after onset of psychosis: A cross-sectional and longitudinal MRI comparison. Lancet 361:281–288. , , , , , , , , , , Desmond P, McGuire PK.
- 2013. Childhood trajectories of inattention, hyperactivity and oppositional behaviors and prediction of substance abuse/dependence: A 15-year longitudinal population-based study. Mol Psychiatry 18:806–812. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The effects of nicotine on nitric oxide induced anxiogenic-like behaviors in the dorsal hippocampus. Neurosci Lett 528:93–98. , , , .
- 1997. Impaired spatial information processing in aged monkeys with preserved recognition memory. Neuroreport 8:1923–1928. , , .
- 2012. Effects of age on navigation strategy. Neurobiol Aging 33:202 e15–22. , , .
- 2009. The depressive phenotype induced in adult female rats by adolescent exposure to THC is associated with cognitive impairment and altered neuroplasticity in the prefrontal cortex. Neurotox Res 15:291–302. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The physiological relevance of glucocorticoid endangerment of the hippocampus. Ann NY Acad Sci 746:294–304; discussion 304–307. .
- 1990. Hippocampal damage associated with prolonged glucocorticoid exposure in primates. J Neurosci 10:2897–2902. , , , .
- 2010. A cocaine cue acts as an incentive stimulus in some but not others: Implications for addiction. Biol Psychiatry 67:730–736. , .
- 2011. Individual variation in the motivational properties of cocaine. Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1668–1676. , .
- 2006. The effects of chronic nicotine on spatial learning and bromodeoxyuridine incorporation into the dentate gyrus of the rat. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 184:540–546. , , , .
- 2007. Stress modulates the use of spatial versus stimulus-response learning strategies in humans. Learn Mem 14:109–116. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Chronic stress modulates the use of spatial and stimulus-response learning strategies in mice and man. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory 90:495–503. , , , .
- 2010. Stress impairs spatial but not early stimulus-response learning. Behav Brain Res 213:50–55. , , , .
- 2011. Stress, habits, and drug addiction: A psychoneuroendocrinological perspective. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 19:53–63. , , .
- 2012. Prenatal stress changes learning strategies in adulthood. Hippocampus 22:2136–2143. , , .
- 1957. Loss of recent memory after bilateral hippocampal lesions. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 20:11–21. , .
- 2010. Dopamine and adaptive memory. Trends Cogn Sci 14:464–472. , .
- 2001. Changes in brain activity related to eating chocolate: From pleasure to aversion. Brain 124(Pt 9):1720–1733. , , , , .
- 2011. Access to a running wheel inhibits the acquisition of cocaine self-administration. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 100:237–243. , .
- 2008. Aerobic exercise decreases the positive-reinforcing effects of cocaine. Drug Alcohol Depend 98:129–135. , , , .
- 2013. Benefits of immediate financial rewards are selective to response learners but not spatial learners tested in a virtual navigation task. Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, CA, USA. , , , , .
- 1995. Nicotine enhances Morris water maze performance of young and aged rats. Neurobiol Aging 16:857–860. , , .
- 2007. The effects of tobacco smoke and nicotine on cognition and the brain. Neuropsychol Rev 17:259–273. , .
- 2013. Larger Right Posterior Parietal Volume in Action Video Game Experts: A Behavioral and Voxel-Based Morphometry (VBM) Study. PLoS One 8:e66998. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Exposure to fox odor inhibits cell proliferation in the hippocampus of adult rats via an adrenal hormone-dependent mechanism. J Comp Neurol 437:496–504. , , , , .
- 2003. Neurobehavioral disinhibition in childhood predicts early age at onset of substance use disorder. Am J Psychiatry 160:1078–1085. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The acute effects of exercise on cigarette cravings, withdrawal symptoms, affect and smoking behaviour: A systematic review. Addiction 102:534–543. , , .
- 2004. Reversible lesion of the rat's orbitofrontal cortex interferes with hippocampus-dependent spatial memory. Behav Brain Res 149:61–68. , .
- 2010. Triple dissociation of information processing in dorsal striatum, ventral striatum, and hippocampus on a learned spatial decision task. Neuron 67:25–32. , , , .
- 2008. Neurogenesis and exercise: Past and future directions. Neuromolecular Med 10:128–140. .
- 2013. Brain structure in adolescents and young adults with alcohol problems: Systematic review of imaging studies. Alcohol Alcohol 48:433–444. , , .
- 1996. Addictive drugs as reinforcers: Multiple partial actions on memory systems. Addiction 91:921–949; discussion 951–965. .
- 2004. Neural foundations of emerging route knowledge in complex spatial environments. Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 21:401–411. , , .
- 2008. Regional brain abnormalities associated with long-term heavy cannabis use. Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:694–701. , , , , , , .