The neuroprotection of Rattin against amyloid β peptide in spatial memory and synaptic plasticity of rats
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 44–53, January 2014
How to Cite
Wang, Z.-J., Han, W.-N., Yang, G.-Z., Yuan, L., Liu, X.-J., Li, Q.-S. and Qi, J.-S. (2014), The neuroprotection of Rattin against amyloid β peptide in spatial memory and synaptic plasticity of rats. Hippocampus, 24: 44–53. doi: 10.1002/hipo.22202
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 31 AUG 2013 05:51AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2013
- National Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 31271201
- Special Foundation for High Schools Doctoral Program of Ministry of Education. Grant Number: 20101417110001
- Natural Science Foundation of Shanxi Province of China. Grant Number: 2010011049-3
- Excellent Innovation Fund for Graduate Student of Shanxi Province. Grant Number: 20103054
- 2011. Changes in cognition. Neurobiol Aging 32 (Suppl 1):S58–S63. .
- 2007. A natural scavenger of peroxynitrites, rosmarinic acid, protects against impairment of memory induced by Abeta(25–35). Behav Brain Res 180:139–145. , , , , .
- 2011. The pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease: A reevaluation of the “amyloid cascade hypothesis”. Int J Alzheimers Dis 2011:630865. .
- 1997. Regulatory phosphorylation of AMPA-type glutamate receptors by CaM-KII during long-term potentiation. Science 276:2042–2045. , , , , .
- 2012. Clinical and biomarker changes in dominantly inherited Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 367:795–804. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. A synaptic model of memory: Long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Nature 361:31–39. , .
- 2004. Corticohippocampal contributions to spatial and contextual learning. J Neurosci 24:3826–3836. , , , .
- 2002. A novel rat gene encoding a Humanin-like peptide endowed with broad neuroprotective activity. FASEB J 16:1331–1333. , , , , , .
- 2000. Impairment of hippocampal long-term potentiation by Alzheimer amyloid beta-peptides. J Neurosci Res 60:65–72. , , , .
- 2009. Amyloid-beta causes memory impairment by disturbing the JAK2/STAT3 axis in hippocampal neurons. Mol Psychiatry 14:206–222. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Plasticity in the human central nervous system. Brain 129 (Part 7):1659–1673. , .
- 2006. Recent progress in neuroprotection of humanin against Alzheimer's disease-relevant neurotoxicity. Sheng Li Ke Xue Jin Zhan 37:302–306. , , , , .
- 2011. Caspase-3 triggers early synaptic dysfunction in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. Nat Neurosci 14:69–76. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Changes in life-quality, a possible symptom of dementia development. Coll Antropol 35 (Suppl 2):245–246. , , .
- 2007. Soluble protein oligomers as emerging toxins in Alzheimer's and other amyloid diseases. IUBMB Life 59:332–345. , , .
- 2012. Neuroimaging results impose new views on Alzheimer's disease—The role of amyloid revised. Mol Neurobiol 45:153–172. , .
- 2001. Blockade of long-term potentiation by beta-amyloid peptides in the CA1 region of the rat hippocampus in vivo. J Neurophysiol 85:708–713. , , .
- 2003. A beta 25–35-induced depression of long-term potentiation in area CA1 in vivo and in vitro is attenuated by verapamil. J Neurophysiol 89:3061–3069. , , .
- 2010. [Gly(14)]-humanin rescues long-term potentiation from amyloid beta protein-induced impairment in the rat hippocampal CA1 region in vivo. Synapse 64:83–91. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Liraglutide protects against amyloid-beta protein-induced impairment of spatial learning and memory in rats. Neurobiol Aging 34:576–588. , , , , , , .
- 2001a. Detailed characterization of neuroprotection by a rescue factor humanin against various Alzheimer's disease-relevant insults. J Neurosci 21:9235–9245. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001b. A rescue factor abolishing neuronal cell death by a wide spectrum of familial Alzheimer's disease genes and Abeta. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98:6336–6341. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Involvement of tyrosine kinases and STAT3 in Humanin-mediated neuroprotection. Life Sci 77:3092–3104. , , , , , .
- 2012. Soluble oligomers and fibrillar species of amyloid beta-peptide differentially affect cognitive functions and hippocampal inflammatory response. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 429:125–130. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Toxicity in rat primary neurons through the cellular oxidative stress induced by the turn formation at positions 22 and 23 of Abeta42. ACS Chem Neurosci 3:674–681. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Humanin rescues human cerebrovascular smooth muscle cells from Abeta-induced toxicity. J Neurochem 84:266–272. , .
- 2002a. The hydrophobic environment of Met35 of Alzheimer's Abeta(1–42) is important for the neurotoxic and oxidative properties of the peptide. Neurotox Res 4:219–223. , , .
- 2002b. Role of glycine-33 and methionine-35 in Alzheimer's amyloid beta-peptide 1–42-associated oxidative stress and neurotoxicity. Biochim Biophys Acta 1586:190–198. , , , .
- 2002. Humanin inhibits cell death of serum-deprived PC12h cells. Neuroreport 13:903–907. , , , , , .
- 2005. Humanin attenuates apoptosis induced by DRPLA proteins with expanded polyglutamine stretches. J Mol Neurosci 25:165–169. , , , , , , .
- 2008. The multiple T-maze in vivo testing of the neuroprotective effect of humanin analogues. Peptides 29:1982–1987. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Amyloid (beta)42 activates a G-protein-coupled chemoattractant receptor, FPR-like-1. J Neurosci 21:RC123. , et al.
- 2009. Abeta(31–35)-induced neuronal apoptosis is mediated by JNK-dependent extrinsic apoptosis pathway. Neurosci Bull 25:361–366. , , , .
- 2010. Humanin protects neurons against apoptosis induced by Abeta31–35 through suppression of intrinsic pathway. Sheng Li Xue Bao 62:93–100. , , , .
- 2011. Requirement of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors for amyloid beta protein-induced depression of hippocampal long-term potentiation in CA1 region of rats in vivo. Synapse 65:1136–1143. , , , , , .
- 2012. Genistein inhibits abeta(25–35)-induced neurotoxicity in PC12 cells via PKC signaling pathway. Neurochem Res 37:2787–2794. , , , , .
- 2011. The molecular assembly of amyloid abeta controls its neurotoxicity and binding to cellular proteins. PLoS One 6:e24909. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Humanin: A defender against Alzheimer's disease? Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov 4:37–42. .
- 2004. Pathways towards and away from Alzheimer's disease. Nature 430:631–639. .
- 1996. Reversion of beta 25–35-amyloid peptide-induced amnesia by NMDA receptor-associated glycine site agonists. Brain Res 731:249–253. , , , .
- 2005. Abeta(31–35) peptide induce apoptosis in PC 12 cells: Contrast with Abeta(25–35) peptide and examination of underlying mechanisms. Neurochem Int 46:575–583. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Developments of a water-maze procedure for studying spatial learning in the rat. J Neurosci Methods 11:47–60. .
- 2002. The neuropeptide PACAP attenuates beta-amyloid (1–42)-induced toxicity in PC12 cells. Peptides 23:1471–1478. , , , , .
- 2010. Arginine vasopressin prevents against Abeta(25–35)-induced impairment of spatial learning and memory in rats. Horm Behav 57:448–454. , , , , .
- 2007. Differential susceptibility following beta-amyloid peptide-(1–40) administration in C57BL/6 and Swiss albino mice: Evidence for a dissociation between cognitive deficits and the glutathione system response. Behav Brain Res 177:205–213. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Amyloid beta-protein fragment 31–35 forms ion channels in membrane patches excised from rat hippocampal neurons. Neuroscience 105:845–852. , .
- 2004. Amyloid beta-protein fragment 31–35 suppresses delayed rectifying potassium channels in membrane patches excised from hippocampal neurons in rats. Synapse 51:165–172. , , .
- 2011. Impairments of behavior, information flow between thalamus and cortex, and prefrontal cortical synaptic plasticity in an animal model of depression. Brain Res Bull 85:109–116. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Amyloid imaging in aging and dementia: Testing the amyloid hypothesis in vivo. Behav Neurol 21:117–128. , .
- 2004. Glucocorticoid effects on memory retrieval require concurrent noradrenergic activity in the hippocampus and basolateral amygdala. J Neurosci 24:8161–8169. , , , , .
- 2008. Soluble oligomers of the amyloid beta-protein impair synaptic plasticity and behavior. Behav Brain Res 192:106–113. .
- 2000. Amyloid beta-induced neuronal death is bax-dependent but caspase-independent. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 59:271–279. , , , , .
- 2004. Humanin rescues cortical neurons from prion-peptide-induced apoptosis. Mol Cell Neurosci 25:95–102. , , , , , .
- 2005. A humanin derivative, S14G-HN, prevents amyloid-beta-induced memory impairment in mice. J Neurosci Res 79:714–723. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Two serine residues distinctly regulate the rescue function of Humanin, an inhibiting factor of Alzheimer's disease-related neurotoxicity: Functional potentiation by isomerization and dimerization. J Neurochem 85:1521–1538. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Spatial navigation (water maze) tasks. In: Buccafusco JJ, editor. Source Methods of Behavior Analysis in Neuroscience. 2nd edition. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 2009. Chapter 13. .
- 1999. Methionine residue 35 is important in amyloid beta-peptide-associated free radical oxidative stress. Brain Res Bull 50:133–141. , , , , .
- 2002. Naturally secreted oligomers of amyloid beta protein potently inhibit hippocampal long-term potentiation in vivo. Nature 416:535–539. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Soluble oligomers of beta amyloid (1–42) inhibit long-term potentiation but not long-term depression in rat dentate gyrus. Brain Res 924:133–140. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Val8-glucagon-like peptide-1 protects against Abeta1–40-induced impairment of hippocampal late-phase long-term potentiation and spatial learning in rats. Neuroscience 170:1239–1248. , , , , , .
- 2008. Nasal Colivelin treatment ameliorates memory impairment related to Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2020–2032. , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of essential amino acids in Humanin, a neuroprotective factor against Alzheimer's disease-relevant insults. Peptides 24:585–595. , , , .
- 1999. Beta-amyloid peptide fragment 31–35 induces apoptosis in cultured cortical neurons. Neuroscience 92:177–184. , , , .
- 2008. Protective effects of tetramethylpyrazine on rat retinal cell cultures. Neurochem Int 52:1176–1187. , , , .
- 2009. Effects of beta-amyloid on behavioral and amino acids spectrum in rats' brain and their modulation by embryonic proteins. Neurochem Int 54:292–298. , , , , .
- 2004. Humanin, a newly identified neuroprotective factor, uses the G protein-coupled formylpeptide receptor-like-1 as a functional receptor. J Immunol 172:7078–7085. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Protective effect of S14G-humanin against beta-amyloid induced LTP inhibition in mouse hippocampal slices. Peptides 30:1197–1202. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Anesthetic propofol attenuates the isoflurane-induced caspase-3 activation and Abeta oligomerization. PLoS One 6:e27019. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Humanin peptides block calcium influx of rat hippocampal neurons by altering fibrogenesis of Abeta(1–40). Peptides 24:679–685. , , , , .